Metallica

Sound quality on live tracks on new AJFA release has shit sound quality. Sounds like mono! Also since they still refuse to raise the bass levels on the studio tracks , the only reason to remaster...is greed!

Metallica stages of AJFA and Black tours (so everything between 1986 and 1995) were inspired by Iron Maiden, confirmed by Lars somewhere here (sorry I forgot the time mark, but the whole video is well worth the watch)

Basically David Fricke asks where did the stage idea with the Lady Liberty come from, Hetfield and Lars start giggling, interviewer proceeds to elaborate on question further and Lars just interrupts him - "two words. Iron. Maiden."

I cut up the audio from the DVD into a live album with separated songs and the sound is great.

I might give that a try if I can't "acquire" a version online.

I did that before with Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous DVD (some tracks are different from the audio version and some aren't on the audio) but I wasn't happy with the volume level, seemed very quiet compared to normal audio.

It's a shame the Seattle 89 Audio isn't available seperately.
The whole deluxe edition is available digitally in a lot of places and if you have a subscription to Spotify or something you can listen to it through there. It's admittedly kind of annoying they didn't go ahead and make a separate limited release of just the Seattle audio, given that Mexico City '93 is already available digitally and has been for a long time now.

Hetfield singing Battery close to the proper version instead of the awful yodelling of most live clips from the last 20 years:edmetal:

Random YT comment

Back in '90, I went to go see Faith No More at Joe's Garage in Fort Worth. This was before the Epic video hit. Jim Martin had on his Cliff RIP shirt, so I complemented him on it. Jim was cool and talked to me and my friends about Cliff. At that time, I didn't know that they were best friends since their school years. Jim explained that Dave and Cliff got along great, and that James and Lars saw that as a threat. Dave and Cliff would ride to work together, and generally hang out a lot. When Dave was booted, the decision was made without the input of Cliff. Cliff was still asleep when Dave was put on the bus. Cliff was so pissed that James and Lars had to convince him to stay in the band. So, needless to say, the guys were close friends who hit it off. Jim also said that Cliff told him to reform Trauma the last night before his final tour, and that he was only going on one last tour with Metallica before he quit because he really loved Europe. Cliff had attempted to band together with James and Kirk to kick out Lars, who he couldn't stand, but James balked when he found out that Lars was the sole owner of the name. Cliff felt like he wasn't getting proper credit in the royalties for how much music he had written, and thought that touring with Ozzy was total shit. Cliff felt like they should use their status to support more underground bands, and book their own tours. All this is info out of Jim's mouth that night, along with a lot of other stuff. The guy was still genuinely hurt by Cliff's death, and I felt bad for him.

I'm a very loyal Metallica fan, so this might bias my response here considerably but I call bullshit on most of that

Told him to reform Trauma - Cliff had been convinced to leave Trauma because it had become too cheesy and commercial and hadn't gone anywhere. If he was gonna leave, why reform that old small band and not just start a new one?

Last tour with Metallica - this makes absolutely no sense. Why would he put his heart and soul into MOP, writing pieces such as Orion, only to then not really want to tour and then quit the band after. Also, whilst I cannot say what Cliffs views on Europe exactly were, the band were known to have greatly preferred the States at the time: the band was initially very annoyed at having to record in Copenhagen again for MOP, rather than California

Cliff had also planned ahead for Metallica. If he'd grown tired and fed up, why did he leave a demo of his song that became To Live Is To Die with the band? They could just use it when he was gone, which they did indeed, posthumously of course

Also, the firing of Lars. This is a contradiction in the story straight away. Whilst it is fact that this incident happened, why on Earth would Cliff want to fire Lars if he was going to leave after the tour was done anyway? Makes no sense whatsoever.

I also don't believe that he hated touring with Ozzy because he had a wide range of music taste (Ed King was his favourite guitarist for example). The Ozzy tour was also the one which gave them the final jump up into popularity in the States, so again I can't see why he would say that. The royalties I can't speak for, I think they generally have support to local bands around this time and I don't see why Cliff would be angry at not booking their own tours if it was working out well for them.

TL DR I call bullshit on half of that unless it was a satire post which I didn't notice because im really tired

Also, Cliff got along great with James and Kirk by all accounts so it seems super unlikely he was planning on jumping ship anytime soon. On Europe; in the Master of Puppets book I'm pretty sure it's mentioned Cliff and James hated the cold Copenhagen weather and would've much rather been in California instead.

The Lars story has been debunked multiple times as somebody getting a bit imaginative with the band's drunken frustrations with Lars's notoriously poor timekeeping abilities, if I'm not mistaken. Either way, Lars mentioned that he and Cliff did indeed drift apart and that Cliff had problems with Lars becoming the businessman of the band and essentially their representative in all official band meetings and such, but they actually sat down to talk and resolved those differences on the European leg of the Puppets tour, some time before Cliff's death. Also in the same book was the band's unanimous opinion that touring with Ozzy was really cool, if difficult sometimes due to various arrangements and some bad blood.

The royalties thing is also super dumb because we just about know what he's written on Lightning, Puppets and Justice. He's credited for all of it, and most of it is just sections in songs almost entirely composed by James and Lars, barring a few exceptions like Orion where Cliff wrote the skeleton of the song, various riffs and the harmony section. For the most part he just wrote small parts like the harmony in Creeping Death, the intro to For Whom the Bell Tolls or a bridge riff in Master of Puppets.

Don't forget that Burton wasn't that friendly when asked about Mustaine in some interviews. Also he was pissed that someone was asking why Dave's picture isn't in the sleeve. He said Dave is credited where credit's due and that he wasn't in the band for the albums and thus his picture ain't in. I thought stuff like that need not be explained.

In any case this YT person might be an outright imagination thing or just exaggeration squared because it's supposedly Jim Martin talking about Cliff Burton supposedly talking about Mustaine and Metallica. To not make things more convoluted consider this - Burton says to Martin that Mustaine is an asshole. What is the chance of Martin telling that exact truth to a random person? I say 0. So he puts some roses on the story how them two used to hang out and stuff. Also Burton might've been pissed they didn't wake him up for the "you're fired" because the thought it was a whole band affair and not cause he wanted to save Mustaine. The random fan is biased by his own narrative so he fits these carefully cherry-picked facts into a bs story such as above.

Possibly, but honestly I wouldn't discount the possibility of the guy just making it all up to fit his own little narrative of how Metallica used to be cool back in the day and even Cliff agrees Dave should've stayed in the band or whatever. People are downright obsessed with analyzing and criticizing things that happened well over 30 years ago, quite possibly before they were even born because they have some strange fascination with the idea that Metallica could've been "saved" if only Cliff was still alive and Dave was in the band and Lars got kicked out (of his own band, no less).

I usually hate the popularity argument, but in Metallica's case it is oh so very fitting: if Metallica hadn't released the Black Album and become a massive worldwide phenomenon, not a single one of these YouTube commentators would've even heard of the band, let alone liked them. It is therefore incredibly ironic these very same people turn around and whine about Metallica not literally making the exact same album over and over again while their popularity waned with the rest of heavy metal in the 90s until they ended up in a pile of washed-up obscure 80s acts that almost but not quite made it. Because that is a very likely scenario in the event they didn't change a thing about their sound after the 80s.

Back