Metallica

I like both The Apparition and The Parchment. Actually, I looooove The Parchment.

Oh, shit, this is Metallica thread!

Erm, Lars, drum rolls....[nah]
Table Hetfield... [damn it, somebody did it lately...]
Wah-wah Kirk and... his solo is boring...erm...same as the new song [I know!]

"If Darkness Had a Son" sucks!!!!
[nailed it]

I really miss the complicated mid-sections from the first four albums complete with lyrics, solos that were more structured to go with the song, and less repetitive lyrics. Death Magnetic recaptured a lot of that. Hardwired well...seems like the Black album, but shorter, with more thrash elements, but less heavy. I'm really anxious to hear the rest of the new album. Lux AEterna is 100% both thumbs up from me. The other two are good, not great (I hear a little too much Load influence), but at least they have some dynamic elements.

Curious. The song is ''You Must Burn!''
Does this mean James is not burning anymore and fuel is not pumping his engines, so Rob has to remind him?

This is good. I honestly love Lux and this is right up there with it (probably better). Thank goodness, because the other two singles so far have been mostly shit.

Yep, the best song of the four but all of them seem like there's something lacking. I think they are missing Bob Rock.
Absolutely. The production is very pro-toolsy and thin, there's not much depth to anything and the mix is super flat with the drums way too front and center (shocking, I know).

The guitar solo, though still not up to par with what a band as big as Metallica should be producing, is actually alright. Sounds like Kirk may have done at least two takes! I love the harmony section.

I probably expected a bit more, especially for a title track. Maybe I need more listens. Strong and good song though. I know they can't sound like in the 80's, but I expected a more complex instrumental section for a nearly 8 minutes long song. The intro of the song introduces the album quite well, but it's almost like the intro of the previous single Darkness (two songs co-written by Kirk, btw). I want different intros (like the engine sound or another melody or even an acoustic intro; not for this song!), but it's cool. The riff reminds of the riff of the previous album title track and the solo sounds almost like those in the other singles. Now, the chorus is pretty good, the riff is atmospheric, the breakdown riff before the solo and the melody/harmony after the solo are great. I also like that the song has that speed metal sound to it (besides the modern approach). The chorus saves it a lot.

Excluding the first single, I like this one and Darkness almost equally. No bad songs so far.

Maybe the first few songs on the album will be closer to their early sound and as the album progresses there will be more of their modern style or the 90's (ballad, acoustic parts, etc). It would be cool if they were able to cover all of their different styles throughout their career in those 12 songs. I want a pure thrash metal song.

These comments are promising, but I don't want to hear anything else before the album comes out. I'm hoping I'll like the previous songs much more in the context of the whole album.

I have strong feeling that they hate studio work and they are making the album just to have excuse to go for world tour and sell billions of tickets because they are just pure live band and they enjoy playing all kinds of sets. Love them.

I have strong feeling that they hate studio work and they are making the album just to have excuse to go for world tour and sell billions of tickets because they are just pure live band and they enjoy playing all kinds of sets. Love them.
See: Guns 'n' Roses. They don't have anything really new out (besides a random song here or there) and they've basically been on the same tour for the past seven years. Metallica could have easily gone the same route.

What's funny is the initial 15-second snippet of the song they posted on Twitter made me think "Wait, it's literally a rehash of Hardwired?" I'm happy to see it was so much more than that.

Hardwired was a kick ass album! But judging by the singles, I'm disappointed with 72 Seasons. Arrangements are less interesting, + vocals and drums sound way overproduced. At least the vocals don't sound as fake on this new one as in Lux Aeterna, and James knows how to pronounce the title.

Back