Metallica

This is easily the worst of the three new songs. It's a bloated intro, countless chugging riffs consisting of nothing but E power chords and snare hits, coupled with basic ass pentatonic riffs. The vocal melodies are lame. The chorus is nothing. The solo is also nothing.

The last 50 seconds are great, though.

As a great fan of modern Metallica, these songs just aren't very good at all. Lux Eterna was somewhat exciting but the other two are just bland. I don't know what's happening.

The intro is cool (probably the best part of the song), the outro is nice, I like the main riff and the chorus is not bad, but overall, an average song, even a bit boring. The solo could/should have been better. The song is co-written by Kirk.

That being said, I think it's a better song the most of the weak material in the previous album of the same length.

I kinda like that Metallica is being "true" to itself in that it sounds like exactly what you'd expect from a few older millionaires rocking out in their garage like the "good old days" and just having fun. But at the same time, it's just very boring to listen to.

I kinda like that Metallica is being "true" to itself in that it sounds like exactly what you'd expect from a few older millionaires rocking out in their garage like the "good old days" and just having fun. But at the same time, it's just very boring to listen to.
100% agreed.

Lux was at least interesting enough to be fun, Suicide was verging on boredom, and this newest one is so pedestrian that I just have no interest in it.

Maybe Hetfield is too busy breaking into Hollywood to write complex riffs anymore?

Maybe Hetfield is too busy breaking into Hollywood to write complex riffs anymore?

I actually think the riffs sound decently complex on the new stuff so far. I'm not expecting super fast triplets or sixteenth notes like Battery or Dyers Eve anymore. It's a bit much to expect 60 year olds to riff like they could when they were in their early-to-mid 20s. Somewhat-related, it's Master of Puppets' 37th anniversary today and it still blows my mind that that album was written when they were were 21 to 22.

Tying that in to the 'true to themselves' topic from a few posts ago, a good chunk of discontent with the new stuff that I've been reading from outside of Metallica diehard groups is that it's either not like the old stuff or it's trying too hard to be the old stuff. Can't please them all. Return to classic stylings they're trying to appease folks but if they stray too far they're abandoning the fanbase (Lulu, St. Anger.)

Metallica are doing pretty well if you ask me. I am definitely not their biggest fan but have found myself quite enjoying their last album and what we have heard so far from the next one.

Last edited:
Yes Death Magnetic & Hardwired were pretty good, thus the disappointment. And let's not forget Lulu which wasn't great but at least something different and in my opinion, original.

Yes Death Magnetic & Hardwired were pretty good, thus the disappointment. And let's not forget Lulu which wasn't great but at least something different and in my opinion, original.

Not disappointed in my case. Lux Aeterna could well possible be the Metallica song I have enjoyed the most since the early 90s.

Not disappointed in my case. Lux Aeterna could well possible be the Metallica song I have enjoyed the most since the early 90s.
The fact that you dislike “The Parchment” and really like the new Metallica material sums it all up for me.

So now everyone could argue that credibility score has leveled up (or zeroed down if you will :D) for you both:
Parchment hater = Apparition lover.

What a formidable turn of events!

:lol:

It’s all tongue-in-cheek as far as I am concerned.

I put both songs in the same category: mediocre stuff redeemed by great solos, with The Parchment probably being better.

Back