Metallica

Too bad that in this case good artwork didn't lead us into good music.... At any rate for the last time: it's THrash Metal, NOT TRash Metal... *sigh* it's from a couple of posts up but I'm too lazy to quote.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Dec 12 2005, 11:11 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Dec 12 2005, 11:11 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]it's THrash Metal, NOT TRash Metal...
[snapback]124916[/snapback]​
[/quote] [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] So you say...

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Dec 12 2005, 03:11 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Dec 12 2005, 03:11 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Too bad that in this case good artwork didn't lead us into good music.... At any rate for the last time: it's THrash Metal, NOT TRash Metal... *sigh* it's from a couple of posts up but I'm too lazy to quote.
[snapback]124916[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yeah..sorry, I already edited my post. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Paschendale_CRO+Dec 12 2005, 09:54 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Paschendale_CRO @ Dec 12 2005, 09:54 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I don't like metallica any more like I used to.
[snapback]124930[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Care to tell us.... WHY?

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Dec 12 2005, 02:01 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Dec 12 2005, 02:01 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The artwork from St. Anger was actually really good. I have the poster because it looks cool, not because it was an incredible album.
[snapback]124908[/snapback]​
[/quote]

St. Anger isn't an incredible album? No.... [!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I have gotten so tired of talking about why I don't respect Metallica anymore, that I'm simply not going to explain why.

I know this is going to sound so cliche, but....Master of Puppets rules!

There. I said it.

I feel that in the early years of Metallica James was quite selfish of the guitar playing. Note that 'Enter Sandman' is sometimes referred to as the first riff Kirk wrote, so whao wrote all the Riffs from the first four albums? James of course, and Cliff may have had some input too.

Also note that in the 'Some Kind of Monster' film when James says that when Lars and Bob etc are discussing things in the studio after he has left, he says that everything for him is "an uphill struggle", and Kirk replies with: "That's what it's been like for me for the last 15 years."

So, do you all think that James and Lars were selfish and ignored Kirk for the first four albums? Another way of looking at it is that when Kirk was allowed some of this musical input, Metallica's 'decline' began and they became 'radio-friendly'.

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Dec 16 2005, 07:43 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Dec 16 2005, 07:43 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]So, do you all think that James and Lars were selfish and ignored Kirk for the first four albums?
[snapback]125242[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Well, James and Lars admit that they are control freaks ( I read it in an interview when James was discussing the lyrical topic of RTL's title track.) so they ignored him a bit I suppose. Besides, when Cliff did enter the group, there was a huge progression in the songwriting as we all know. They even said that without Cliff they wouldn't have been able to write "Orion".

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Dec 16 2005, 07:43 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Dec 16 2005, 07:43 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Iwhao wrote all the Riffs from the first four albums? James of course, and Cliff may have had some input too.
[snapback]125242[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Dave Mustaine anyone?

[!--QuoteBegin-$yk0_H+Dec 19 2005, 03:53 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE($yk0_H @ Dec 19 2005, 03:53 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Dave Mustaine anyone?
[snapback]125444[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I think he wrote several riffs in The Call of Ktulu and in The Four Horsemen.

Would anyone see a real difference between RTL and MOP, since MOP is 'Mustaine free'? (although Mustaine claims to have written Leper Messiah)

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Dec 19 2005, 11:21 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Dec 19 2005, 11:21 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]although Mustaine claims to have written Leper Messiah
[snapback]125457[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised, Dave Mustaine's a good Musician

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Dec 19 2005, 11:30 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Dec 19 2005, 11:30 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Listen to Megadeth's 'She-Wolf' and then Metallica's 'Disposable Heroes'. Notice anything?
[snapback]125460[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yeah, or what about Megadeth's Trust and Enter Sandman?

Hmmm.... interesting. Okay, let's not go too deeply into this whole 'he ripped off this part, but he nicked that outro and put it into a solo' thing. This whole kind of debate has been done before many a time.

Metallica was on a downwards slope since Ride the Lightning. Kill 'em All was great for their first album, even if it did seem a bit too raw with Hit the Lights and Pulling Teeth. Ride the Lightning was awesome in every way, with For Whom the Bell Tolls being the only mediocre song on the album. Then along comes Master of Puppets, with horrid songs like The Thing That Should Not Be or Damage Inc. ...And Justice For All continues it with a lack of bass guitar and pretty bad sounding drums. The Black Album with it's slow and boring overall sound was no better. Load, Reload (aside from Fuel), and St. Anger were just complete jokes.

[!--QuoteBegin-HamburgerBoy+Feb 2 2006, 07:05 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(HamburgerBoy @ Feb 2 2006, 07:05 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Metallica was on a downwards slope since Ride the Lightning. Kill 'em All was great for their first album, even if it did seem a bit too raw with Hit the Lights and Pulling Teeth. Ride the Lightning was awesome in every way, with For Whom the Bell Tolls being the only mediocre song on the album. Then along comes Master of Puppets, with horrid songs like The Thing That Should Not Be or Damage Inc.
[snapback]128324[/snapback]​
[/quote]
What's wrong with MoP? I think it's an almost perfect album and I don't think you can say the slide started here [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Master of Puppets was a great album, ...and justice for all still had great songs despite the lack of bass (something hetfield and ulrich did to rip on Newstead). as for Mustaine, I think he has songs created to him in the first three albums.... as either written or co-written.

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Feb 2 2006, 09:07 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 2 2006, 09:07 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]What's wrong with MoP? I think it's an almost perfect album and I don't think you can say the slide started here [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]128331[/snapback]​
[/quote]

The Thing That Should Not Be was boring and too long, Disposable Heroes is too repetitive, Leper Messiah is unremarkable in every way, and Damage Inc has too many periods of silence. Sure, half the album is classic, but who cares when they other half is horrible?

Back