Metallica

[!--QuoteBegin-HamburgerBoy+Feb 3 2006, 03:41 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(HamburgerBoy @ Feb 3 2006, 03:41 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The Thing That Should Not Be was boring and too long, Disposable Heroes is too repetitive, Leper Messiah is unremarkable in every way, and Damage Inc has too many periods of silence. Sure, half the album is classic, but who cares when they other half is horrible?
[snapback]128453[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I tend to agree. MoP and Orion are fantastic. Sanitarium and Battery are pretty good, but the rest of the album is mediocre. Ride the Lightning and ...Justice (despite the bad production on the latter) are much better albums.

Its interesting that when people talk about the greatest heavy metal albums of all times, they always mention MoP and NOTB. While I think the first is good and the second is fantastic, in neither case are these even the best albums of the respective bands.

[!--quoteo(post=128458:date=Feb 3 2006, 01:04 PM:name=macunaima)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(macunaima @ Feb 3 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]128458[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I tend to agree. MoP and Orion are fantastic. Sanitarium and Battery are pretty good, but the rest of the album is mediocre. Ride the Lightning and ...Justice (despite the bad production on the latter) are much better albums.

Its interesting that when people talk about the greatest heavy metal albums of all times, they always mention MoP and NOTB. While I think the first is good and the second is fantastic, in neither case are these even the best albums of the respective bands.
[/quote]

Yes, but they were the breakthrough albums of those bands. And the most famous. Look at RttH. It's Maiden's best known song. Is it their best song? The concensus is no. Is it the best song on NotB? Again, the consensus is that many of the other songs on NotB surpass it. Why is that? Possibly because it became so popular and some people believe it overplayed, the way some people dislike HBTN because it is overplayed to a ridiculous extent.

Back