Metallica Survivor 2013: Results Thread - Fade to Black wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Eliminated:
I Disappear

Promoted:
Frantic
St. Anger

Death Magnetic (including Beyond Magnetic material) has joined the battle!

Wow so many votes for Death Magnetic songs. I think it's a really great album.
Bell
Battery
Blackened
Judas
Suicide
Bullet
Rebel

Bell
Justice
Life
Day
UIII
S&R
Apocalypse
BM material

The thing about Death Magnetic is that the songs really are not that good. The album is incredibly listenable, but not really a great album. There are some amazing ideas in almost every song, but it seems that the band was so desperate to reclaim their 80's-loving naysayer fans that they just jammed riffs, time signatures, tempo changes, and dynamic shifts into every song. It's the ultimate more-is-more album. It has a few great tunes (Broken, Cyanide, Judas), but the rest are pretty uneven and James' lyrics and vocals have only been worse once. After St. Anger, fans were willing to give them a break on anything that sounded decent. This album gets a much higher score than it deserves simply due to "The St. Anger Effect".

it seems that the band was so desperate to reclaim their 80's-loving naysayer fans that they just jammed riffs, time signatures, tempo changes, and dynamic shifts into every song. It's the ultimate more-is-more album.

After St. Anger, fans were willing to give them a break on anything that sounded decent. This album gets a much higher score than it deserves simply due to "The St. Anger Effect".
:notworthy:

Well said sir. If 'Death Magnetic' had been released after 'And Justice For All' then the general reaction would have been "What's this shit?". A lot of people said that 'Death Magnetic' was an awesome album shortly after its release but I think that's purely because it's not 'St. Anger'. It was a massive overcompensation to try to regain credibility. In all honesty I think that there were some interesting ideas on 'St. Anger' but the album was dreadfully executed then 'Death Magnetic' was mostly boring, playing-it-safe concept-wise and executed fairly tidily.

One thing I have to note is that the production on the studio album is terrible, but then again most of you probably already knew that.

After St. Anger, fans were willing to give them a break on anything that sounded decent. This album gets a much higher score than it deserves simply due to "The St. Anger Effect".

Not in my case. I wasn't even aware of Metallica's existence when Death Magnetic came out. And I heard it before St. Anger.

If 'Death Magnetic' had been released after 'And Justice For All' then the general reaction would have been "What's this shit?"

No it wouldn't.

I agree that there's some overcompensation on the record but the case isn't that bad.

You're doing this "state the opposite but don't contribute anything" thing too often, Black Wizard. You just stated the way you felt about it couple of posts earlier. Maybe it's just me though.

Yes it would.
::)

Although the needlessly long songs thing isn't new for Metallica, it's still pretty much the biggest problem with DM. Most of the songs are good, but dragged out way too much. By the second half of the album it starts to get a little tedious. In that sense, it's the next logical step after AJFA, so I don't think people would've hated it. It definitely would've divided fans less than the Black Album. I don't think St. Anger has anything to do with it.

I don't think St. Anger has anything to do with it.

I think St. Anger has everything to do what Metallica has done in the last ten years. It's not only St. Anger's fault, the whole Metallica backlash thing started with the Black Album, got much worse during the Load/ReLoad days, and truly peaked during St. Anger. You can tell the band was not proud of the album, despite what they said at the time. St. Anger was an album that the band had to make to prove themselves capable during so much inner turmoil, but later regretted because of how bad the whole thing sounded. They've literally spent the last 10 years backtracking, playing 90% "classic" material and largely omitting tracks from Load/Reload/St. Anger (other than the couple big hits).

The reason Death Magnetic doesn't work, IMO, is because it's the first album that sounds like Metallica doing something for other people. They've always been a band that did whatever the hell they wanted and made whatever music they wanted, regardless of the critics or the fans (including St. Anger). Death Magnetic proves that they can clearly still play, and clearly still write riffs, but it has no soul. It falls flat because it sounds like the band admitting defeat to the opinions of the media and the fans. It's a decent-sounding heavy metal record that is creatively-challenged.

I think St. Anger has everything to do what Metallica has done in the last ten years.
St Anger might've affected what the band has done since then, but I was saying that it has nothing to do with the album's reception.

St Anger might've affected what the band has done since then, but I was saying that it has nothing to do with the album's reception.

I should clarify: I am not saying that everyone who heard Death Magnetic was coming off of the disappointment from St. Anger and happy to hear anything new. As Flash has stated, that's clearly not the case. So I will agree with you, partially.

But I think that a majority of people who were already Metallica fans before Death Magnetic received the album more positively due to the incredibly lackluster previous album.

Back