Metallica Survivor 2013: Results Thread - Fade to Black wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
I wanted to make myself get through the whole thing again for the survivor, but I could only make it to Invisible Kid. There are some parts that have the potential to be half decent, but it's just so unlistenable. And it's not just the drums, every instrument sounds awful.

The greatest Metal album of all time!:rocker:

I was actually tempted to vote for all the remaining 80s songs. :P

My World
Shoot Me Again
Sweet Amber
Purify
All Within My Hands

I really like Dirty Window. Would be a candidate for my Top 25 if it wasn't for the stupid "Ayyyy, ayyyy" part near the end.

All of St. Anger except for Frantic and Dirty Window
I Disappear

I wanted to make myself get through the whole thing again for the survivor, but I could only make it to Invisible Kid. There are some parts that have the potential to be half decent, but it's just so unlistenable. And it's not just the drums, every instrument sounds awful.

True, but I find the drums are definitely the worst instrument.

Everything about St. Anger is awful.

Sound/Production

- The drums are infamous. They sound like a tin can all the way long.
- Guitars are way too low sounding, sometimes to the point where you can't tell the difference between notes in the riffs.
- James' vocals sound very disharmonic with the rest of the instruments.
- You barely can hear the bass.
- Very low quality production as a whole, on par with Kill'em All's production.

Music/Songwriting

- Absolutely awful vocals by James. The way he shouts in a high pitched voice from time to time, uhhh.
- No solos.
- Uninspired riffs, just a couple of memorable moments.
- Terrible transitions, hopping from one part to another with no connection.
- Despite the lack of solos and variation, very long songs. You just cannot get through the whole song sometimes.
- Almost any good moment (not many of them) on the album is ruined by the following parts.
- Lyrics are horrible. They're either very cheesy or they don't carry any significance.

Others

- Artwork is terrible.
- Album title is cheesy.
- Cheesy song titles: St. Anger, Invisible Kid, My World

I like the 'St. Anger' artwork! When you complain about the length of songs is your issue that you feel they needed solos to break them up or were the songs too long anyway?

I think there's a difference though. Main problem of St. Anger is that the songs are too long with not enough material, main (alleged) problem of Death Magnetic is that the songs are too long with too much material.

The songs on 'St. Anger' were very repetitive. I actually thought some of the ideas on that album were promising but the execution was abysmal. 'Death Magnetic' was a much slicker album but I just found it to be pretty boring for the most part.

There are some ideas that could have potential amongst all the clutter, but they're so few and far between that I doubt that expanding on them would help much. And honestly, I don't miss the guitar solos. The last time Metallica had a solo that had any impact on the song for me was around And Justice.

Also. the best part about St. Anger is the artwork.

Well it probably helps that I don't see a penis when I look at it. o_O

I like the cartoonish style. The back cover is pretty nifty too. Much better than the previous three albums, artwork wise.

[quote="Mosh, post: 437402, member: 8805"Much better than the previous three albums, artwork wise.[/quote]

That doesn't say a lot.

Eliminated:
My World
Shoot Me Again
Sweet Amber
Purify
All Within My Hands

Back