Men = Women ?? Not always...

Metal_made

Trooper
The World is changing, now we all know and accept women as the capable and intelligent beings they are.  Nowadays, there are specific laws in the governments worldwide that protect them, laws which I praise, for I believe everyone has the right to be treated as a human being, and I really hate the "Macho Man" stereotype, and I hate it when a man abuses of his condition to disrespect a female, whatever the reason is. 

Now men and women are treated equally, or at least more and more people is trying to, however there are some people who, in my particular opinion, haven´t noticed this.

Please, let me explain myself with a small example.  The other day, I took the bus in order to get back home, I can honestly say that I was very tired at the time, so, I was lucky to find a seat (people who live in Mexico, will know how lucky I was to find a seat in the urban buses), nevertheless, a girl who was about 19 or 20, kept staring at me and after a while she said "I guess there are no more gentlemen", to which I replied "Well, there are gentlemen, what we don't have, is empty seats". 

My point is that I had the right to be seated, I was tired, and after all, we are all the same, right? I really think she shouldn't have said this, and I think she was trying to use the fact that she is a woman to her advantage, something I think was not fair...

First of all, AWESOME for you thinking up that snappy reply on the spot. Well done!

Second, it's been my experience that nobody really wants equality - black, white, men, women - they want to be treated BETTER than other people.

I like the race card, personally.  It's a quality card to play.  But the sex card.....ehhh.  Somewhat new.

No, I hate you because you're a useless woman.  Go make me a pie and have babies.  But not mine.

I understand your sentiments, Metal_made, but to be honest, I never witnessed that myself. As a matter of fact, I have much more witnessed women disapproving of me trying to be a gentleman. For example, the old thing of holding the door open. Some women don't comment on that (and some probably do like it), but often enough, I hear stuff like "why the hell are you holding the door open? I can open it myself!", and one even once told me to "never do that again".
So, we are forced to conclude that women are women, and nobody can ever possibly understand them.  :D

Metal_made said:
I really hate the "Macho Man" stereotype,

I don't :D

I agree w/ you. Whatever people are, black, men/women, I don't care what, as long as you're a nice person. I once knew someone who nobody liked, she said it was because she was black -- no, she was just rude to people for no reason -_-

Perun said:
I understand your sentiments, Metal_made, but to be honest, I never witnessed that myself. As a matter of fact, I have much more witnessed women disapproving of me trying to be a gentleman. For example, the old thing of holding the door open. Some women don't comment on that (and some probably do like it), but often enough, I hear stuff like "why the hell are you holding the door open? I can open it myself!", and one even once told me to "never do that again".
So, we are forced to conclude that women are women, and nobody can ever possibly understand them.  :D

I've had that exact problem, with one friend specifically. I would walk her to her car and she'd say, "what are you doing?" "Walking you to your car" "Why? I'm a big girl I can take care of myself." So spitefully I said, "Fine, just remember that when you're robbed and maybe raped." She just laughed... sigh.

There was a radio station here in Mexico that would air sayings now and then. The only one I remember said, "Once there was a psychologist that proposed that there are 29 different types of women, you can be sure, my friends, that he only met 29 women."

In all my years of opening doors for people, or giving up my seat on the train, or whatever, I have never encountered such remarks as some of you guys have had. Perhaps it's just me.

But, like Perun, I too understand your sentiments. Equality does mean equality as far as I am concerned and in situations where a one seat is available and two need it, the person with the greater need should have it.

IronDuke said:
Second, it's been my experience that nobody really wants equality - black, white, men, women - they want to be treated BETTER than other people.
And this sums it up quite nicely.

I certainly agree Albie and Iron Duke, that is exactly what I thought.

However, I'm surprised you guys never ever encountered this issue before,  In my case it's not the first time it happens, since in Mexico they say "A la mujer no se le toca, ni con el pétalo de una rosa" (You can not touch a woman, not even with a rose's leave). So I guess, it all comes down to a matter of education.

One of the most insightful, yet gloriously wrong things I've ever heard on the subject of equality was said by a coursemate of mine a few months ago: "Women should get equal wages the day I don't have to pay the restaurant tab." Some of the force of the statement is lost in translation, but the sentiment is there :p

Obviously it's a preposterous statement, but on some level it makes sense. There are all these different values that go against each other. On the one hand women are supposed to be treated equally, but on the other men are expected to do certain things for them. Paying the tab being a good example imo.

But there's also the reverse, as Perun mentioned, when "male chivalry", like opening doors or offering to carry stuff, is seen as some kind of oppression. Which to me is quite annoying. Some girls like it and use it to the point of abuse, and others think it's awful. You just can't win.

Oh, now we see the violence inherit in the system.  Come and see the violence inherit in the system!  Help help!  I'm bein' repressed!

I think what Metal Made said is right.  Equality is a matter of education, as I believe education is the vehicle that forces cultural change.  Where I live, "chivalric notions" are often forgotten.  Personally, I will hold a door for *anyone* if I am the first in the line.  I will certainly dally for those who are elderly or otherwise slower or weaker.  But that's not gender-dependent, it's ability dependent.

When it comes to things like restaurant tabs, I see no problem with splitting, or taking turns, and so forth!  However, in any area, we will have those who will attempt to exploit latent or outdated notions for personal gain.  I would consider a woman who demanded I pay to be both utterly rude and incredibly unattractive, and I certainly would not wish to date her again, as an example.

In a way, the best way to have equality among sexes is not to judge them by men or women, but as a fellow member of the human race, forget all gender, treat them as a living, breathing, homo sapiens sapiens.

Back