Megadeth

Megadeth is not a band I particularly dislike but they've never managed to go beyond "Hey, that was pretty good" to me except for Rust In Peace. One time I saw someone make the comparison that Megadeth is really Rogers Waters-era Floyd and Roger Waters solo but metal.

...I'm not quite sure how to process that one.

I like Countdown To Extinction. When a band creates something as high quality as Rust In Peace, it makes sense to try a different direction rather than tread old ground. Lots of great hooks but the musicianship on the previous album is still present and continues to be refined

Personally, I don’t think that Countdown holds up all that well. They dumbed things down on the technical side but didn’t replace it with enough songwriting meat to hold my interest. I rarely go back to this album, and when I do, I’m pretty much always disappointed.

Youthanasia
handled this much better, IMO, and my only issue with that album is all the songs being the same slower tempo, which was apparently an intentional choice on their part.

You're a singer: do you agree that while Dave isn't a very good singer, James is merely okay but really bland & safe?

For sure. James (thankfully) figured out his range in the early 90s and sticks to it without exception. He had a very limited range, but he knows how to use it.

Dave tries far more interesting melodies and ranges, but he has zero technique and a less pleasant tone.

I think Countdown is Dave Mustaine's songwriting at its best. Bright lyricism and catchy hooks.

Yes! Euthanasia was pretty good too in that regard, but tried a little too hard lyrically.

Youthanasia is much better than I expected. There are parts that remind me of Load - the shift from metal to metallic hard rock for instance - but I think that it's more consistent as a whole. Metallica were being experimental, but Megadeth know exactly what they're trying to do and manage to do it. Their focus on hooks in particular is astounding. There are some songs that didn't quite grab me, but a lot more that really did. I'm gonna be interested in seeing how this one ends up ranking in the context of their career. It's quite good.

You should include 99 Ways To Die in your Youthanasia review. It wasn't on the album it's the same lineup, same style, sound etc..

Hands down one of my favourites by them from this era...

Last edited:
Yeah, my plan is:
  • All official studio albums
  • Hidden Treasures
  • MD.45
  • Album bonus tracks
Am I missing something here?

Yeh, I was about to say, Hidden Treasures may have been released at the same time as Youthanasia but the material is mostly older & was written for various projects; it's essentially unconnected. The 1995 UK release included HT with Youthanasia; that's the CD version I have of it, not the separate release (& cover).

Yeh, I was about to say, Hidden Treasures may have been released at the same time as Youthanasia but the material is mostly older & was written for various projects; it's essentially unconnected. The 1995 UK release included HT with Youthanasia; that's the CD version I have of it, not the separate release (& cover).

For a long time the only way to listen to 99 Ways to Die was on the Beavis And Butthead Experience soundtrack with came out in late 1993. It was however one of the last things they would do before actually going into the studio to record Youthanasia. So 99 Ways To Die had been written together/around the same time as the songs they took with them into the studio just a few months later in early 1994 when they began recording what would become Youthanasia. 99 Ways could have easily been on that album if it wasn't because they were approached and asked to contribute a song for the Beavis and Butthead soundtrack.

Hidden Treasures was indeed released in 1995 and is basically just a compilation like you said,

Yeah, my plan is:
  • All official studio albums
  • Hidden Treasures
  • MD.45
  • Album bonus tracks
Am I missing something here?

I don't know if you want to review it and it's a lot of music but: Warchest is amazing. You can sorta consider it Megadeth's (Eddies) Archives...It has unreleased stuff, demos and really good live stuff.

I'm listening to United Abominations now and goddamnit I forgot how much I like Dave's vocals from that period. Lyrical content and instrumental work are also mostly top notch, even if the lineup is maybe the worst of their entire career.

I don't know if you want to review it and it's a lot of music but: Warchest is amazing. You can sorta consider it Megadeth's (Eddies) Archives...It has unreleased stuff, demos and really good live stuff.
I haven't even listened to the stuff in Eddie's Archive. :p I may check it out, will see.

So can we at least compare 'Mechanix' to 'The Four Horseman'? Or no more comparisons?

NO MORE COMPARISONS
NO MORE COMPARISONS
NO MORE COMPARISONS
NO MORE COMPARISONS
NO MORE COMPARISONS
NO MORE COMPARISONS
NO MORE COMPARISONS
NO MORE COMPARISONS
NO MORE COMPARISONS
NO MORE COMPARISONS
NO MORE COMPARISONS
NO MORE COMPARISONS