Megadeth

The thing with 'Ashes in Your Mouth' is that the riffs are good and the song starts off quite promising, but Dave's vocals sounds really strained and I can't distinguish the lyrics. Ultimately 'Ashes in Your Mouth' is a bit anticlimactic after the promising start and I find it a bit dull.

Reactions: Jer
Yeah that's a solid live performance. I still don't think the song is as perfect as others may say.

Youthanasia is much better than I expected. There are parts that remind me of Load - the shift from metal to metallic hard rock for instance - but I think that it's more consistent as a whole. Metallica were being experimental, but Megadeth know exactly what they're trying to do and manage to do it. Their focus on hooks in particular is astounding. There are some songs that didn't quite grab me, but a lot more that really did. I'm gonna be interested in seeing how this one ends up ranking in the context of their career. It's quite good.

Youthanasia is much better than I expected. There are parts that remind me of Load - the shift from metal to metallic hard rock for instance - but I think that it's more consistent as a whole. Metallica were being experimental, but Megadeth know exactly what they're trying to do and manage to do it. Their focus on hooks in particular is astounding. There are some songs that didn't quite grab me, but a lot more that really did. I'm gonna be interested in seeing how this one ends up ranking in the context of their career. It's quite good.
@Diesel 11 please stop talking about Metallica when you're reviewing Megadeth. Just focus on the album you're listening to.

And I get your point, but I’m literally only bringing up similarities between the two bands when I think it’s rather blatant (to my ears). Seriously, something like “Addicted To Chaos” sounded like it could’ve been on Load, or vice versa given that it was released first. If I’d gone through Megadeth first and was now reviewing Metallica I'd have brought up the similarities as well. I really haven’t spoken too much about Metallica since I reviewed the debut album, it’s just that certain things sound like they could have been on one of the other band’s records.

With the relation between Megadeth and Metallica being what it famously is, it's hard not to see the comparisons as products of a forced association, Diesel. Especially with how non-blatant, in fact not at all on point, the comparisons have been so far.

It is your own perspective though, I get it. Just saying that the reaction isn't entirely surprising.

Last edited:
Especially with how non-blatant, in fact not at all on point, the comparisons have been so far.
Megadeth and Metallica really aren’t that similar.
Agreed and agreed. Apart from the same riff being used in 'Mechanix' and 'The Four Horsemen' I don't notice much similarity between the two bands and I don't see how anyone who listens to a lot of Metal possibly can. Maybe someone who doesn't listen to much Metal or none at all would think they sound similar. Dave Mustaine's vocal style is, as far as I know, quite unique. No other Metal vocalist I know sounds like Dave.

But, but, but....

DAVE MUSTAINE WAS IN BOTH BANDS!!!!!!!
upload_2019-3-10_14-51-10.jpeg

Back