Mastodon

This guys should release an album already.
I have no idea why, but when they put out songs like this, they don't do anything for me and I almost never return to them (those Game of Thrones songs, Bill & Ted, even those Medium rarities) and I guess this will fall into same category. Bring all those together and that's enough material for a new LP, it's been 4 years since last one FFS.

uid1r3hqd5m71.jpg

On one hand, I'm looking forward to this. On the other, "Pain with and Anchor" surely must be a typo, right?

Wow, 2021 is definetely more fun than 2020 . I hope the songs are not all short though: 15 is really a lot and I missed the intricate instrumental parts in the last album.

I fucking love Mastodon and can't wait to wrap my greedy tiny yet soft and supple hands upon this sure-to-be-masterpiece of musical genius!

Pushing the Tides is the first single!

On one hand, I'm looking forward to this. On the other, "Pain with and Anchor" surely must be a typo, right?
Yes, it's a typo. The actual title is "Pain with an Anchor" - there's no "d". I hope the anchor is metaphorical (something to keep you grounded during the pain) rather than literal (ouch!).

Great song! The chorus sticks immediately. But the sound is weird. Sounds like you're beating on sheet metal. Very exhausting. Anyway. Can't wait. But Emperor of Sand is a masterpiece. I'm curious whether they can still top that. The single already sounds very promising!

Digging the single, looking forward to the album. Damn, 2021 looks to be awesome considering metal releases, new Dream Theater is out one week before and I'm still waiting for official Megadeth announcement.

Pushing the Tides is the first single!

Yes, it's a typo. The actual title is "Pain with an Anchor" - there's no "d". I hope the anchor is metaphorical (something to keep you grounded during the pain) rather than literal (ouch!).
Awesome riffage and drumming. Are the high vocals Brann, right?

Wow, 2021 is definetely more fun than 2020 . I hope the songs are not all short though: 15 is really a lot and I missed the intricate instrumental parts in the last album.

Double CD, 88 minutes. Great article here

That bass(?) solo is pretty sweet. I enjoyed this more than Pushing the Tides, but I still think Forged by Neron is the best song they've released this year.

This is like, what, third single?
I have to say this third one "sat down" the best and now I'm really looking forward to it. It seemed like a lot of songs will have all 3 singers on them (which is one of the details I liked on "Emperor of Sand").
Which also reminds me: I need to buy a ticket to their gig. Baroness is support act.
Which also reminds me: start listening to Baroness.

I'm loving the new album so far.

Pre-CTS Mastodon is fine with me; vocally it's very underwhelming and music needed some polishing, but it paved the way for...
Crack The Skye which is a flawless and unique album in their discography. Just 7 songs with two 10+ minute long epics.
Then came 3 albums which (bafflingly) went in a completely different way. They weren't as melancholic or epic as CTS and felt more like collections of songs rather than a proper album. Granted, The Hunter was fucking amazing, and the next two were also pretty good, but tonally they were all over the place. They'd have some melancholic stuff, then happy commercial songs, then heavy aggressive stuff etc.

HOWEVER

This is the first album since CTS where the atmosphere is evened out and where the album doesn't sound like a collection of songs. They brought back the melancholy and most of the epicness for what is surely their most depressing album, filled with slower songs and ballads, and it works splendingly. One major downside though:
It seemed like a lot of songs will have all 3 singers on them
Troy sings the majority of the album, Brann only has a few of those choruses that he seems to do on each of the last 3 albums, and Brent, sadly, only sings on two songs, which is a real bummer. He's my favorite Mastodon vocalist (just not live) and the most distinct one and this material would've fit him like a glove. Also, first time since Remission that Scott Kelly didn't sing on a single song on a Mastodon album.

I agree on the lack of Brent, but damn those two songs he sings on really shine. It feels special in a way. However I’m absolutely loving this album. There truly are no bad songs!

Back