Mastodon

Hm, that's a very odd approach - a real twist on what a double album usually means. Reading just the headline I'd expect their return to complex stuff, but in this case I don't know what to think about it. Will definitely check this out. I really enjoyed the last one.

An album entirely written by Brent, another one he hasn't contributed to ? That worries me a bit. I hope he doesn't sing on all the first one's songs. After Once more's... release they said they had left five songs appart, which were as good as the others, and that they would eventually release them as an EP; I guess these are the first record. I was thinking of them recently and hoped they would continue along the same path as on The Hunter and Once more...

According to Brent, he wrote the whole Crack the Skye album...
Wow. I didn't know that. He openly stated that ? My only concern with his voice is that it can really be nasal, almost caricatural. There are two songs on Crack... that I never listen to because of that.

Brent > Brann > Troy when it comes to vocals IMO. But I don't think any of them can carry a whole album by themselves, so it's good that they combine.

My favorite in terms of vacals is Troy, by far. Brann has a pop feel that can be nice on record, but he fails to deliver live.

Mastodon keep getting better for me. Once More was easily my favorite.

It looks as if they have worked on their own : Bill + Brann // Brent. It would be great if the result was a double album. Knowing now how they write, I'm surprised all the songs are credited to Mastodon as a band.

Mastodon-Emperor-of-Sand-680x680.jpg

1. “Sultan’s Curse”
  2. “Show Yourself”
  3. “Precious Stones”
  4. “Steambreather”
  5. “Roots Remain”
  6. “Word to the Wise”
  7. “Ancient Kingdom”
  8. “Clandestiny”
  9. “Andromeda”
  10. “Scorpion Breath”
  11. “Jaguar God”
Out on March 31 :shred:

I'm very excited for this. I might see them live in April, although I've heard mixed things about their live performances. I'm really getting into this band lately though. I checked out Leviathan and it was fantastic. I previously hadn't heard anything pre-Crack the Skye.

I kind of consider Mastodon the Metal Radiohead.

Back