Manic Street Preachers

So Manic Street Preachers finished their North American tour co-headlining with Suede yesterday at Massey Hall in Toronto, and as big Rush fans they managed to pay homage to Canada's finest with a couple of snippets:

A short instrumental bit from Closer to the Heart before From Despair to Where

A nod to The Spirit of Radio in the middle of A Design for Life, the last song on their set.

@GhostofCain Which album post ‘Send Away the Tigers’ should I check out first? I love that album and saw them on that tour but haven’t kept up with them since.

It is difficult to say. If you enjoy The Holy Bible, then Journal for Plague Lovers (2009) could be a good one. It was released after Send Away the Tigers and features lyrics from Richie Edwards (he left them to the band before disappearing). If you want something closer to Send Away the Tigers, Postcards from a Young Man (2010) and Resistance is Futile (2018) are both kind of cut from the same cloth (as much as this can be said for a band as diverse as the Manics).

Rewind the Film (2013) is a very intimate acoustic album; I quite like it, but it is not to everyone's taste. Futurology (2014) is a colder album, inspired by Krautrock and early Simple Minds. Their most recent album, The Ultra Vivid Lament, which is quite good, was described by the band as ABBA played by The Clash because most of the songs were written on a piano. Lyrics are more introspective, but they still get political when it matters.

Just in case you are interested, you can find my ranking of their discography here: https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/manic-street-preachers.71734/post-983890

Happy listening!

Last edited:
It is difficult to say. If you enjoy The Holy Bible, then Journal for Plague Lovers (2009) could be a good one. It was released after Send Away the Tigers and features lyrics from Richie Edwards (he left them to the band before disappearing). If you want something closer to Send Away the Tigers, Postcards from a Young Man (2010) and Resistance is Futile (2018) are both kind of cut from the same cloth (as much as this can be said for a band as diverse as the Manics).

Rewind the Film (2013) is a very intimate acoustic album; I quite like it, but it is not to everyone's taste. Futurology (2014) is a colder album, inspired by Krautrock and early Simple Minds. Their most recent album, The Ultra Vivid Lament, which is quite good, was described by the band as ABBA played by The Clash because most of the songs were written on a piano. Lyrics are more introspective, but they still getting political when it matters.

Just in case you are interested, you can find my ranking of their discography here: https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/manic-street-preachers.71734/post-983890

Happy listening!
A lot to keep me going here! Thanks for the detailed reply.

@The_7th_one and @____no5 You might enjoy this: a radio broadcast of The Holy Bible played in its entirety (plus some other songs) at Cardiff castle in 2015.

A TV broadcast with highlights of the gig is also available:

Neither of the links features the whole gig, but it is a great document.

@The_7th_one and @____no5 You might enjoy this: a radio broadcast of The Holy Bible played in its entirety (plus some other songs) at Cardiff castle in 2015.

A TV broadcast with highlights of the gig is also available:

Neither of the links features the whole gig, but it is a great document.
Thanks for sharing! I think I've seen half of that concert last year in YouTube or somewhere. yeah it's a great document.
The radio broadcast sounds very very good!

Last edited:
New Nicky Wire song:

Apparently, he has a new solo album finished (Intimism), but no release date yet:

[youtube]r7W2TH3md2Q[/youtube]

In the interview Nicky Wire mentions that the Manics have a quiet summer because they are working on a new album they hope will be released next year. Exciting news!

The Manic Street Preachers will be headlining the second stage on Sunday at the Isle of Wight festival and it seems that SkyArts would be broadcasting part of their show. Happy times!

They have played at the Isle of Wight festival three times before (2004, 2011 and 2018) and thanks to that we have some professionally filmed/recorded bits of some of the shows available. :)

From 2004:

From 2018:

Last edited:
And a week later (Saturday 24th June) BBC4 will broadcast the Manic Street Preachers concert at Glastonbury Festival!

The show will be later be made available (2nd July) on BBC Radio 2:

Last edited:
What time will be the broadcast /Manics appear? It would be fun to listen together and comment live from here.

Sunday 18th June: 22:00 (BST) Radio broadcast, Isle of Wight festival (Absolute Radio)
Saturday 24th June: 21:00 (BST) TV broadcast, Glastonbury festival(BBC 4)

So 22:00 is when Manics hit the stage? It will be 5:00 here more or less the time I wake up. I don’t even run on Mondays, even commenting is doable!

Back