Man on the Edge

How good is Man on the Edge on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Man on the Edge

oh. one of the reasons I don't like X Factor is that the songs are way too similar.

Meh... nothing special about this one... Nothing catchy in the riff or chorus. But still... MUCH better than most of the songs from past 2 albums.

5/10.

The opening riff before the pace kicks in is classical Maiden sounding.
But to me rockers should provoke uncontrollable fist-pumping, air guitar/drums, devil horns or headbanging - or a mix of all four. Man on the Edge has never caused these sensations with me. So I can only award it a 6. 

Great song! 8/10

The live version with Bruce's voice from "The Wicker Man" single album is even better.

:shred:

This is 8/10. First Maiden song I heard. I like the lyrics, I like the fast, hypnotic angsty melody and Blaze's singing is fantastic on this one. Also, I agree with whoever said Falling Down was a great movie.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
But to me rockers should provoke uncontrollable fist-pumping, air guitar/drums, devil horns or headbanging - or a mix of all four. Man on the Edge has never caused these sensations with me.

It's too fast to do that.  :D

8/10 from me and one of my favorites on The X Factor.  Resembles a cross between The Evil That Men Do and Be Quick or Be Dead.  I just wish the lyrics were a bit better, especially the whole bit about formerly giving birthday presents.  Yes I know it's based on the movie, but still.

Not one of my favourites off the album. The standard rocker that seems to make it onto most of Maiden's albums. A bit worse than Lord of the Flies, mainly due to the lyrics not being so great. Has some decent riffs in there, but can't really give it above a 6.

This is a great song. Another energetic song and I think of it as one of Blaze's finest moments. 9

Hmm, it seems like I'm the only one who thinks that this song deserves a ten. Even though the chorus is pretty repetitive, it doesn't make this song any less awesome and  a perfect headbanging song! 10!

Ok, this is awesome stuff. Lyrics are out of this world, they're poetic, angry, metal, in your face, and could be included in textbooks for writing classes, all at once. The music lives up to it's potential. And i even like the repetition of the first verse at the end. IMHO, it keeps the story going; the protagonist might have "fallen down" after the second chorus, but there are a lot of men on the edge in today's world, and now it's time for someone to fit in his shoes.

However, the instrumental part lacks power due to album's production (just check out EHT version with Smith in drop-d onboard!), and solos aren't quite up to the standard. Especially Dave's. That's enough to lose a point.

A nice and fun uptempo song. Blaze doing a great job in this but here is something I want to notice. In the first chorus, Blaze sings 2nd, 3rd .. "Down" different from the first "Down". In the second chorus, he does the first "Down". I don't like the melody change of it. Cool song, 8/10.

My favorite Blaze era song. Fantastic lyrics, inspired by a fantastic movie. I first heard this song in a CD shop, it was the live version from The Wicker Man single. Both vocalist rule on this song. I wonder why they don't play it more often. 10/10.

Musically, this song is light-hearted compared to the rest of the album - lyrically, it's just as dark as several others. It's very enjoyable, although there are no parts of it that really stand out to me, to elevate it above 8. So an 8 it is.

Back