Maiden's attitude towards new releases

think of how many songs post-1990 have made it on two tours? Three tours? It is few and far between.

Maiden just have a lot of material, and when they are guaranteed to do 6 at least off a new record, and Iron Maiden and Fear of the Dark, it doesn't leave a lot of room to play other tracks on a regular basis, no matter what era.

Practically, only Trooper was played regularly off PM for a long time, only 23:58 was played off Powerslave for a long while, only HCW* and Wasted Years of SIT, and only CIPWM, TETMD and TC off SSOASS.

the other songs off these albums that have been played have tended to be on nostalgia tours.

* and HCW has been ditched for a lot of the last 15 years too.

But if Maiden truly believed that their "best albums" were sequentially the ones prior to the current wouldn't they want to play songs from their best albums and not the crap they put out 30 years ago?

But if Maiden truly believed that their "best albums" were sequentially the ones prior to the current wouldn't they want to play songs from their best albums and not the crap they put out 30 years ago?
Except they have to play those classics to keep the casual fans happy.
You know, the ones that haven't listened to Maiden since the 80's and just go to see them because they remember they liked those songs.
So they have to keep a selection of the 'hits' in the mix.
666, RTTH, WY, 23:58, Trooper, Aces, HBTN, Revelations, Wrathchild, etc.
They have to keep a few of them in every setlist also.

It was meant as a bit of a sarcastic response. However, it does seem disingenuous to highly praise a new album and then (almost) never play a song from said album again. I get that they have to fit in 6+ "classics"/popular old songs along with a healthy dose of the latest album, but not even one or two songs from the previous album or two on subsequent tours seems like maybe they aren't being forthright in their praise. (Their = Nicko, obvi)

That's inaccurate. RTTH hasn't played on that many tours since the 80s.

WY was out the setlist for near a decade, so it's a good mainstay for me

Aces has seldom ever been played since 1984, except the two most recent history tours.

Revelations again the same.

NOTB I guess it's defiantly overplayed

Wrathchild & Trooper defiantly I agree, I could happily never hear them again!

They want to get the crowd on board with the 'classics', but on album tours, they also want to take up some slots to showcase new stuff. Or in the case of AMOLAD, take over most of the setlist.

That's inaccurate. RTTH hasn't played on that many tours since the 80s.

It has been played quite often since the 80s methinks! :lol:

1990/1991, 1992/1993, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003/2004, 2005, 2007, 2008/2009, 2012/2013/2014...

If you take away the time when Blaze was fronting the band (we can all but guess why the song was not played), RTTH has not been played on most of the BNW tour (2000/2001; it was played at 2 gigs in 2001 though), the AMOLAD tour (2006), TFF tour (2010/2011) and TBOS tour (2016/2017)

Back