Maiden's attitude towards new releases

:) this time they also have had extra time to make sure they are 100% happy with the final product, due to Bruce's illness.

They should have used that time to remix and remaster it! It's have been nice to be able to hear what the rhythm guitars are doing without having to get a vinyl rip...

They should have used that time to remix and remaster it! It's have been nice to be able to hear what the rhythm guitars are doing without having to get a vinyl rip...

+1

It's rather annoying that they apparently don't think that "petty" CD listeners don't care about quality sound :p

I think it's the melancholic melodies in the beginning and in the middle that do it for me. Plus that awesome outro. I hesitated on calling it a masterpiece while I wrote it as well but that was the first word that came to my mind. I realize I may be overstating it.

I would agree thats it a great track, but the only masterpieces to come out of the 90's were Fear of the Dark and The Clansman.
And Sign of the Cross.
And Como Estais Amigos.
And Mother Russia.
And Judas Be My Guide.
And Tailgunner.
And Holy Smoke.
And Be Quick Or Be Dead.
And Childhood's End.
And The Aftermath.
And Futureal.
And... fuck it, I'm not gonna list every single song.

And Sign of the Cross.
And Como Estais Amigos.
And Mother Russia.
And Judas Be My Guide.
And Tailgunner.
And Holy Smoke.
And Be Quick Or Be Dead.
And Childhood's End.
And The Aftermath.
And Futureal.
And... fuck it, I'm not gonna list every single song.

I try to stay somewhat subtile on this forum with my love for the Blaze Bayley Maiden era, but I have to admit, I do agree! :) I was trying the mainstream approach for my cited statement.

It's been said numerous times that 'reunion' style started with The X Factor in 1995. Long songs / prog parts / social commentary lyrics.
With that in mind, I see Virtual XI as a slight deviation from that path, no more than Dance Of Death was. DoD also builds on epics set by BNW, but also has a shorter-punchier-track approach.

In my opinion, neither album (VXI/DoD) did well with the slight change in approach. It's not that style is wrong, it's just that these shorter songs aren't as good as they used to be in the 1980s. They mostly came out as filler.

lol I think your being a little harsh there, they could still remember how to write a relatively short song on those records, Man On The Edge, Futureal in particular...

Probably why I said mostly, and I was only talking about VXI and DoD. Well it's all Maiden so songs are good nonetheless, but in my book Futureal is weaker than Deja Vu, and it's an opening punch track. That says a lot.

they could still remember how to write a relatively short song on those records, Man On The Edge, Futureal in particular...

They forgot all about that when they wrote The Wicker Man, The Mercenary, The Fallen Angel, Wildest Dreams, Rainmaker, Different World, The Pilgrim, The Final Frontier, The Alchemist, Speed of Light, Tears of a Clown and Death or Glory, did they?

I would agree thats it a great track, but the only masterpieces to come out of the 90's were Fear of the Dark and The Clansman.
Maidenfans.com ranks the following 90s songs at 9.00+:
Sign of the Cross (7th overall, 9.52)
The Clansman (15th overall, 9.25)
Fear of the Dark (22nd overall, 9.07)

And the following at 8.00+:
Afraid to Shoot Strangers (36th overall, 8.86)
The Edge of Darkness (51st overall, 8.60)
Run Silent, Run Deep (64th overall, 8.23)
Judas Be My Guide (68th overall, 8.14)
Man on the Edge (74th overall, 8.08)
The Educated Fool (78th overall, 8.01)

Maidenfans.com ranks the following 90s songs at 9.00+:
Sign of the Cross (7th overall, 9.52)
The Clansman (15th overall, 9.25)
Fear of the Dark (22nd overall, 9.07)

And the following at 8.00+:
Afraid to Shoot Strangers (36th overall, 8.86)
The Edge of Darkness (51st overall, 8.60)
Run Silent, Run Deep (64th overall, 8.23)
Judas Be My Guide (68th overall, 8.14)
Man on the Edge (74th overall, 8.08)
The Educated Fool (78th overall, 8.01)

Please read my answer to Diesel 11. Its not about song quality, its how you define a masterpiece. I grew up with the songs you listed, so dont worry :)

Well The Clansman and Sign of the Cross definitely fit that bill, but what about Fear of the Dark? Is it truly a masterpiece or just a really popular track that everyone, including me, happens to love?

Well The Clansman and Sign of the Cross definitely fit that bill, but what about Fear of the Dark? Is it truly a masterpiece or just a really popular track that everyone, including me, happens to love?

The discussion on what makes a masterpiece sure is intresting. I do agree on the popularity part, at this point it feels as if it is the go to-track for the new fans.

My favourite Iron Maiden album is The X Factor. But I remember how hard it was to listen to at first. At first didnt even like my current all time favourite Maiden track, Sign of the Cross. For some reason I didnt have that experience with Fear of the Dark or The Clansman. Or any other classic for that matter.

I've always respected Maiden in that they have had the same approach their entire career - play 5-6 new songs off the new record and base the stage production on the album cover....even on unpopular albums such as Virtual XI. I think it's great that the model has basically remained unchanged since the beginning.

I think Virtual XI is really weak (tried really hard to like it since buying it on the day after it was released), but was happy to see the band playing lots of songs off it live. That is and should always be the case if you want to remain relevant.

I think Maiden talk a big game about how great their new albums are, but they seem to loose their confidence in those songs immediately after the tours end. Sure they play a bunch of new stuff on that particular album's tour, but it is very rare that any of those songs turn up on subsequent tours. Since their is a tour still going on I can't get into too much detail here, but for those who know, think of how many songs post-1990 have made it on two tours? Three tours? It is few and far between.

Maybe it's just because Iron Maiden has a discography of 155 songs...and they can play, what, 15-17 in a night?

Back