MAIDEN TRIVIA OF THE DAY

810330t.jpg

MAIDEN TRIVIA OF THE DAY – IL KILLER TOUR​

Maiden only had played in Italy as a supporting band, but this time they were the headlining act and they were really nervous after seeing how many punters had shown up to see them.

This first Maiden concert as headliners in Italy, took place today, 40 years ago, in San Remo at the Ariston Theater and is reviewed in an Italian newspaper called La Stampa dated on April 1, 1981. As a curious fact, according to some Italian fans that I interviewed, the concert was initially scheduled for the previous day (March 29) but was postponed to the 30th for reasons concerning the availability of the theater, however, I’m able to confirm that this isn’t true.

Want to read how Steve remembers this show and all those that took place in Italy? EDDIE MADE ME DO IT (THE RISE OF THE BEAST 1975-1987) is the place to read about it. Get it at https://www.subscribepage.com/eddiemadedoit

29846ff1-bb19-5710-8f58-f3933d32ef73.jpg

MAIDEN TRIVIA OF THE DAY – A MAIDEN IN A LEI

The band had started the tour behind the Iron Curtain almost a year ago and only had rested 40 days between that day and the gig they played today, 36 years ago, at the Honolulu Neal S. Blaisdell Arena.

It’s not easy being one of the more successful heavy metal bands in the world with the mission of conquering the world. You have to keep making hit records, then follow up with a punishing regimen of interviews, photo sessions and tours that can last up to three or four months at a stretch.

But this time the band, and especially Dave Murray, is particularly anxious ‘cause in just two days he will no longer be a bachelor as he is going to marry his long-time girlfriend Tamar.

But let’s go back to the day of the gig which is what we’re remembering on this Maiden Trivia Of The Day. When one thinks of Honolulu, one gets the mental image of sun, floral shirts and leis but it seems that with the arrival of Maiden to Hawaii all they’re gonna have is rain, rain and more rain, but that doesn’t dampen the metal spirit of 20,000 heavy-metal fans with about half-a-million studs and spikes who are ready for action.

The opening band is Warrior, who has been with Maiden on the tour only for 2 gigs and this will be the last one… Not an easy crowd for them but they endured. Then the lights dim and the band members run on stage to be greeted like visiting gods by a full house of fanatical followers who immediately climb onto their seats for the rest of the show (approximately 5,000 seats were broken, the promoters later claimed… Oops).

The band gives it all on stage, but they reserve and extra tank of stamina and joy for what’s coming next, Dave’s Bachelor party…

Want to read about it? EDDIE MADE ME DO IT (THE RISE OF THE BEAST 1975-1987) describes almost every day between the time that Maiden was just a pub band to the end of the 1987. Get with a special surprise only this week at to https://www.subscribepage.com/eddiemadedoit

95015075_722167938524564_6467326647254122496_n.jpg

MAIDEN TRIVIA OF THE DAY – A TRIP TO MAKE HISTORY

"My actual association Maiden goes back prior to my joining of the band," recalls Nicko. "In 1980, they did their very first European date in Belgium. I was playing in a band McKitty and we were on the same bill with them. I got to see Iron Maiden's very first European show out of England. That was the night when I really got to know the band. That was the beginning, that day we played the show in Belgium with Iron Maiden and Nazareth who were the headline band. Steve saw I did an impromptu drum solo and a bass solo, because the guitar player's rig went down. Steve remembered my solo and said it was one of the best solos he'd ever seen, and he's not a solo guy, as you know. You'd very rarely hear Steve do a solo and you don't get a drum solo anymore. But that set me up to be the drummer when Clive started — he wasn't playing too well, and his heart wasn't in it anymore. The first drummer that came to mind was myself. I was in the right place at the right time."

Maiden had packed their bags the day before to make their first travel outside the UK. The destination, Kortrijk, Belgium, to play as special guests of Judas Priest, who was supposed to be the headliner but pulled out at the last minute, on the Wheel Pop Festival.

For this occasion, the band had to chose a setlist to fill a 50-minute time slot, so while on the bus, they briefly talked about it, as they wanted to play some songs that couldn't play, because of time constraints, while opening for Priest. The decision, strangely enough, was to add 'I've Got The Fire', plus 'Innocent Exile' probably to include Clive's drum solo and Dave's & Dennis' guitar solos.

In just a matter of days I'm becoming a father for the first so the Maiden Trivia Of The Day is going to disappear for a while, however, you could still learn about Maiden true history in the EDDIE MADE ME DO IT which brings you all the trivia facts between 1975 and 1987… Get it at https://www.subscribepage.com/eddiemadedoit and don’t miss the opportunity to learn more about the band we all love!

Last edited:
View attachment 14242

MAIDEN TRIVIA OF THE DAY – A TRIP TO MAKE HISTORY

"My actual association Maiden goes back prior to my joining of the band," recalls Nicko. "In 1980, they did their very first European date in Belgium. I was playing in a band McKitty and we were on the same bill with them. I got to see Iron Maiden's very first European show out of England. That was the night when I really got to know the band. That was the beginning, that day we played the show in Belgium with Iron Maiden and Nazareth who were the headline band. Steve saw I did an impromptu drum solo and a bass solo, because the guitar player's rig went down. Steve remembered my solo and said it was one of the best solos he'd ever seen, and he's not a solo guy, as you know. You'd very rarely hear Steve do a solo and you don't get a drum solo anymore. But that set me up to be the drummer when Clive started — he wasn't playing too well, and his heart wasn't in it anymore. The first drummer that came to mind was myself. I was in the right place at the right time."

Maiden had packed their bags the day before to make their first travel outside the UK. The destination, Kortrijk, Belgium, to play as special guests of Judas Priest on the Wheel Pop Festival.

For this occasion, the band had to chose a setlist to fill a 50-minute time slot, so while on the bus, they briefly talked about it, as they wanted to play some songs that couldn't play, because of time constraints, while opening for Priest. The decision, strangely enough, was to add 'I've Got The Fire', plus 'Innocent Exile' probably to include Clive's drum solo and Dave's & Dennis' guitar solos.

In just a matter of days I'm becoming a father for the first so the Maiden Trivia Of The Day is going to disappear for a while, however, you could still learn about Maiden true history in the EDDIE MADE ME DO IT which brings you all the trivia facts between 1975 and 1987… Get it at https://www.subscribepage.com/eddiemadedoit and don’t miss the opportunity to learn more about the band we all love!
Congrats @Luisma , and the very very best to you all!

That was the beginning, that day we played the show in Belgium with Iron Maiden and Nazareth who were the headline band. [..]

The destination, Kortrijk, Belgium, to play as special guests of Judas Priest on the Wheel Pop Festival
I'm confused. Priest? Nazareth? Who was the headliner?

Nazareth, Priest pulled out almost at the last minute. However, as I said, Maiden was invited as special guest of Priest.
Ok, thanks for the addition. It was not that clear. "To play" can be read as "played".
And I do not see "invited", and even if it would be there, you mention 2 different headliners (you did not say Priest pulled out), so in this text I cannot read which one it was.

. The decision, strangely enough, was to add 'I've Got The Fire', plus 'Innocent Exile' probably to include Clive's drum solo and Dave's & Dennis' guitar solos.
I did not know (or forgot) one of these songs featured extra guitar solos (why add a song if it already has solos; most songs have solos). And did Clive play a solo in one these songs?
I thought thay was Another Life. Need to play that bootleg again, if it is complete.

I did not know (or forgot) one of these songs featured extra guitar solos (why add a song if it already has solos; most songs have solos). And did Clive play a solo in one these songs?
I thought thay was Another Life. Need to play that bootleg again, if it is complete.
There were added at the end of these song and not "in" the song, similar to what they did, as you have said, with Another Life.
Ok, thanks for the addition. It was not that clear. "To play" can be read as "played".
And I do not see "invited", and even if it would be there, you mention 2 different headliners (you did not say Priest pulled out), so in this text I cannot read which one it was.
Thanks for pointing that out, I have tried to edit what I say to make it clear.

n780408-jpg.14249

MAIDEN TRIVIA OF THE DAY – A NO SHOW OR A TRIO IN CONCERT?​

"One night, he just decided to leave, on the night of a gig. He turned up really late and said, "I'm out of the band, that's it, I've had enough", I thought, well, at the end of the day, I might as well take a few months to try to find, you know, good people, you know…" – Steve Harris - The History Of Iron Maiden: The Early Days

"Den let us down in the end," reflects Steve. "He just didn't turn up one night. So we dashed 'round to his house to see if he was all right, and he was fine he just said, 'I ain't coming down. I'm leaving the band.' I said, 'Well, can't you the gig tonight first and then leave the band?' I mean, he really left us in the shit. But he was like, 'No, I've made my mind.' So I said, 'Fuck it. We'll do the gig without him.' And we did!" – Steve Harris – Run To The Hills: The Authorised Biography. 3rd Edition. Page 50.

Well, well, well… What would you think about Dennis Wilcock after hearing and reading this?! I know, that Dennis Wilcock was a stupid person and that he definitely let the band down, but what would you think if I tell you that the REAL story is quite different to what you have been led to believe? What if that supposed no show of Dennis at The Green Man Pub in Plumstead never happened? Or at least, happened in a different way to what we have been told in the official documents Maiden have released?

First, let us remember that at this time the line-up was Steve on bass, Dennis Wilcock on vocals, Barry Purkins on drums and Dave Murray on guitar. Well, Barry tells the story in a slightly different manner than Steve: "We were due to play a gig in south London but for some reason the band showed up without Dennis the vocalist. I had been the one that had got the gig and was sitting there patiently waiting for them with my drum kit set up and ready to go, but it was decided that, 'no singer-no gig'. So, I took down my kit and we sat in the pub that we were meant to play in having a drink instead."

Now, nothing really different here, however, the thing I want to present you so you might think a little differently about Dennis is… Why if Dennis had decided to leave the band from a moment to another, did Maiden play 2 different gigs the following nights? Can it be that Dennis and Steve had actually talked before the gig at The Green Man Pub was to take place, and in that conversation, Dennis DID told Steve that he was leaving? Can it be that Steve knew very well that Dennis was going to form his band and that he had hoped that at the last-minute Dennis would change his mind? Ahhhh

But here's just one other thing… How can it be that Dennis and Steve had drifted so apart and let everybody down but then Dennis helped with the sound on Maiden's first gig at the Ruskin Arms in 1979? Can it be that the story you have been told isn't right? You wanna know what really happened on those final days of the Dennis Wilcock lineup? EDDIE MADE ME DO IT (THE RISE OF THE BEAST 1975-1987) tells it ALL and with the evidence to prove it. https://www.subscribepage.com/eddiemadedoit

Attachments

• n780408.jpg
    n780408.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 98
Sounds - Prowler.jpg

MAIDEN TRIVIA OF THE DAY – PROWLER AT NO. 1!

Today, 42 years ago, after being a huge hit at The Bandwagon, 'Prowler' appears as Nº 1 in the Sounds Magazine and stays there for 3 months!

According to Maiden lore the song was written by Steve Harris around August-September 1976, however, in the lawsuit presented by Dennis Wilcock, against Steve Harris & Dave Murray, Dennis claimed that he had written the lyrics to song. More specifically in the documents presented with the lawsuit it is said: "Mr. Wilcock wrote, among other songs, the lyrics to 'Prowler' which were inspired by a friend of his. The music was written by Mr Harris with some contribution by Mr Murray."

Some trivia facts about the song

In 1977 the vampire Prowler (Dennis Wilcock with a mask) appeared on stage as Iron Maiden's first onstage character.

In July 12, 1979, Paul Di'Anno was arrested before the show the band was to perform at the Swan in Hammersmith, therefore forcing the band to play as a three-piece. The band played a mainly instrumental set with the exception of 'Prowler' (Steve on vocals!).

Iron Maiden's first single in Japan featured 'Prowler' as the A-side and 'Running Free' as the B-side.

Want to know more about this and every song in the official catalog of the band? Get yourself the DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST at http://subscribepage.com/luisma666

Angels.jpg

MAIDEN TRIVIA OF THE DAY – THE 23rd ANNIVERSARY OF MAIDEN’s LONGEST GIG!

Chris Hiles, a one-time roadie for Iron Maiden, had been in charge of the Oval Public House in Norwich since 1991, so he decided to use his connections to the band and promote a secret concert, which would also serve as a warm up gig for Maiden. This event took place on June 3, 1992, and it was here where Maiden were billed as the Nodding Donkeys.

6 years later, Chris’ days at the Oval Public House were coming to an end so he decided to go out with a bang an invited Maiden to play once again at the place, this time billed as The Angel and the Gamblers. Once again, the band agreed and once again the occasion served as a warm up gig which to this date is the longest concert that the band has played.

The setlist of this concert was the same as the 1st concert of the tour in Lille, with an additional encore made up of "backup" songs for the tour: Lord Of The Flies (which will take the place of Fortunes Of War at the end of the tour), Blood on the World's Hand, The Aftermath, Sign Of The Cross (which will take the place of Don't Look To The Eyes of a Stranger after a few dates), Murders In The Rue Morgue (which took the place of Fortunes of War on the start of the tour) and the perennial Wrathchild, totaling a whopping 27 songs!

It was an exceptional concert, with the Oval House packing about 400 triple F’s (that’s Family, Friends and Fans) but we must not forget that the Maiden period Blaze Bayley was only playing in front of an average of 3,000 people in a row anyway.

Want to know more about secret gigs that the band has played thru the years? Why did they chose the venues where they played them? How many secret gigs they have played since 80’s? EDDIE MADE ME DO IT (THE RISE OF THE BEAST 1975-1987) describes almost every day between the time that Maiden was just a pub band to the end of the 1987. Get with a special surprise only this week at to https://www.subscribepage.com/eddiemadedoit

n790421.jpg

MAIDEN TRIVIA OF THE DAY – BRECKNOCK AND MAIDEN DON'T GO WELL

Maiden had the Cart & Horses, Remus Down Boulevard had The Bridge House and Urchin had The Brecknock.

The Brecknock Arms was a grand pub located at 227 Camden Road (unfortunately it close definitely in 2020), where bands used to play almost every day and, unlike other pubs, that charged an admission fee, the pub let almost everyone enter for free, which was a great way to attract more people who might not have much money to cover the expenses of pub admission plus drinks (beer).

It was in this pub where Steve met once again with his ideal guitarist Dave Murray in 1978, who at the time was playing in Urchin, after being ousted from Maiden…

"We were playing one Saturday night when who should be there but Steve!" remembers Dave smiling. "And I was really pleased to see him. And we were talking after the gig and Steve told me that he wanted to put the band together with me and a couple of new guys, so he asked me if I wanted to rejoin the band and I just said yes straight away."

It was thanks to the contact that Dave Murray had made while in Urchin, and to Paul Sears wit that Maiden got the chance to play at the Brecknock, since the pub would usually feature bands that use to play more soft-pop rock than hard rock/metal.

The first concert that the band played in this pub, was in April 9, 1979 and the second (and last, since the govnr at the Brecknock didn't think that the band went down well with the common crowd of the place) took place today also in 1979.

Want to know more about the gigs that the band played between 1975 and 1987? EDDIE MADE ME DO IT (THE RISE OF THE BEAST 1975-1987) lists them all, plus rehearsals, secret gigs, special apperances and much more, and gives you loads of trivia facts about almost each one of them. https://www.subscribepage.com/eddiemadedoit

Back