Maiden settles the Hallowed Be Thy Name claim in full

reusing the original musical idea and developing it into something completely new and different (consider it an interpolation, if you will).
Putting my science hat on here, interpolation is not developing something completely new and different. It's taking more than one thing and making something similar out of the two (or more).

Putting my science hat on here, interpolation is not developing something completely new and different. It's taking more than one thing and making something similar out of the two (or more).
Interpolation in music (especially hip-hop music) usually works like a sample: you take an existing part of another song and use it in a whole other musical context. But while a sample is the direct usage of the other song's bit, an interpolation involves the complete re-recording of it.

No. At least not during these particular moments. Fine if people do enjoy these songs as much, or even more! But I can't erase all this.

A tad over dramatic here me thinks but each to their own I guess.

I took a bit of umbrage at your later comment that people who don’t care about theft will be fine with this. Wrong. I care about theft a great deal and will get up in arms with anyone who steals things online like music and films.

I’m not happy with maiden in regards to this incident but it won’t dent my thoughts about either song as I think they are both great. In the case of both songs I believe they would have turned out pretty much the same with out the pieces they took from life’s shadow anyway, I just wish they hadn’t bothered; especially the lyrics for HBTN. They could have used other lyrics and the song would still be as awesome.

Stop it you’re being too nuanced for this discussion.

example: Bowie vs. Metallica
starting at 0:51

David Bowie did not sued them, right? In my eyes, Metallica did the right thing. Like alchemists, distilled Bowie's song, and created masterpiece. From seeds they created different and a better song.

I suppose there has been loads of cases where bands have clearly been influenced by bands they admire, with loads of obvious examples

But what do you think about this particular case (again, Metallica!):

Listen at around the 4:51 mark

Then listen to Saxon at 2:02

Similar or the same?

I just wish they hadn’t bothered;

that's my sentiments exactly, at the very least they could have disguised it, it would have taken no more than 5 minutes to come up with 2 lines that had similar meanings but different words, and I don't think anyone could have made the connection afterwards considering the vocal melody and metre is so much different in Hallowed.

Ditto in Nomad. He obviously thought that bit at the end of Life's Shadow sounds like a bit of a deserty sort of vibe, how easy would it have been to just use a different chord progression which would than alter the melody line, and no one would have been any the wiser that Life's Shadow was the inspiration.

Sheer laziness is the reason behind stealing the parts and is also the reason why he got caught.

to me Saxon "The Eagle has Landed" (starting at 2:02) sounds more like copying Priest's "Victim of Changes" :)

Last edited:
I suppose there has been loads of cases where bands have clearly been influenced by bands they admire, with loads of obvious examples

But what do you think about this particular case (again, Metallica!):

Listen at around the 4:51 mark

Then listen to Saxon at 2:02

Similar or the same?

you should check out this compilation if you are not aware of it already:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wave_of_British_Heavy_Metal_'79_Revisited

It's a great album that I would advise anyone to buy, but it also shows the "origins" of loads of classic Metallica tracks.

Also shows Lars' great business sense, he included a rare, at the time unreleased track, from Maiden, and a track from Def Leppards equivalent to the Soundhouse Tapes, ensuring fans of the two biggest bands on the compilation would pick up a copy!

I know that the similarity must be more than just a few notes for it to be considered plagiarism and I am not claiming this one is, but I believe the intro of Fear and the Dark and Jose Feliciano's The Gypsy (just a few seconds right in the middle of the song somewhere near 2:30 I believe) sound pretty similar.

I know that the similarity must be more than just a few notes for it to be considered plagiarism and I am not claiming this one is, but I believe the intro of Fear and the Dark and Jose Feliciano's The Gypsy (just a few seconds right in the middle of the song somewhere near 2:30 I believe) sound pretty similar.
And the picture gets even more confused when you get into the realms of folk music - folkies seem to have been using each other's stuff and adapting it forever, it seems like in past times it was all part of the game. Try these two for example:
Do those lyrics sound familiar? Here's the most famous interpretation (in the best version!):
So is Rosemary Lane plagiarised from Scarborough Fair? Actually both are "plagiarised" from an earlier song called The Elfin Knight. In fact, a lot of Led Zeppelin's much reported plagiarism woes seem to have been schoolboy mistakes concerning "traditional" songs which turned out to be slightly less traditional than they imagined.
A notable exception to this is "Whole Lotta Love" - here's Robert Plant to tell you all about it:
Page's riff was Page's riff. It was there before anything else. I just thought, 'well, what am I going to sing?' That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. At the time, there was a lot of conversation about what to do. It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game.
In other words they got caught bang to rights for stealing utter crap and the good bit of the song - the guitar riff - was actually all their own work :lol:.

Back