Maiden moments that give you goosebumps

To list a few:

NOTB scream
'We seem destined to live in fear, and some would say Armageddon is near' verse from The Legacy
Rime of the Ancient Mariner scream and instrumental section
Meet me theeeeeeeeeeeeeere from 'The Parchment'
'Love in Angerrrrrr' from 'Hell on Earth'
Double choruses in 'Stratego'
'I accuse you! Before you know the crime it's all too laaaaaaaaaaaaate' from 'Out of the Silent Planet'
The heavy overdriven riffs in Brighter than a Thousand Suns
Final 'We slip into the niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight' from 'Speed of Light'
'Ascending the throne wearing feathers & shells, he brought back our lives from the voiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid' from 'The Book of Souls'
The chorus to 'The Red & The Black' and the melodies during the instrumental section
The melody proceeding and leading into the 'help me, help me to see my true self without seeing the future' from 'Infinite Dreams'
Dual guitar harmonies proceeding the guitar solos on Phantom of the Opera
'Laying low in a blood filled trench, killing time 'til my very own death, on my face I can feel the falling rain, never see my friends again' - Paschendale
Adrian's guitar solo on 'The Writing on the Wall'
Adrian's solo on 'Stranger in a Strange Land'
The instrumental section into final verse and chorus on 'Powerslave'
Triple guitar melody on the refrain in Brave New World before the final chorus

The opening of If Eternity Should Fail, right up to the first chorus, always echoes the experience of the first time I heard it.* First new Maiden album for ages, Bruce recovering from illness, loads of anticipation about what musical direction Maiden would take next, and then this eerie, foreboding buildup, with Bruce's voice cutting through, then those very Maiden-typical guitars kick in. Magic.

I did get something of a flashback with The Writing on the Wall. Beautiful moment when the drums kick in and remind you this really is Maiden you're listening to.

*It helped that it was the listening party in the studio in Paris. Fellow forum member who was there described it as a 'chicken skin moment' (same thing as goosebumps I guess).

oh yes, I forgot this one when I initially did my post yesterday, this is absolutely incredible, the part in Senjutsu between mins 4:16 and 5:19
"Now under siege have the real strength to hold them now
Have to believe that we can repel them
Faith in the years our ancestors taught us
Have the belief that we can protect the wall
Try if they can, we will overthrow them
Fight to the last, they can never own us
Battle of wills, we'll fight to the last man
Honour our dead so they never fought in vain"

and also I forgot mentioning the last part from Lost In A Lost World (everybody seems to dislike that song, but the final part is one of the best things Maiden ever did I would say) - the part from mins 8:14 on ("Will we ever heal our old wounds...")

Man Of Sorrows is also on my all time fave list, yes. "And their light is their darkness no more" is a cool part, that's for sure.
Have to agree I just love that part of Senjistu. I does literally send shivers down my spine. The whole music and lyrical theme go together perfectly. In fact I'm gonna listen to it now.

1. The ‘cruelty has a human heart’ verse in Paschendale from Death on the Road. Steve’s backing vocals are on point and Nicko’s hi-hat stab in the middle is just so slick.

2. Hell on Earth chorus. Just incredible!

3. ‘Ascending the throne…’ (obviously!) My eyes were moist when I saw this live. I was just thinking how lucky we were to see Bruce sing this after cancer.

4. When the main melody kicks in on ‘Afraid to Shoot Strangers’. It is amazing live.

found one more of these goosebump moments: not new to me that it's like that, but as I was just listening to the live version from For The Greater Good Of God from Nights Of The Dead/Live Mexico, there is this one line almost at the end Bruce sings "he died for all of those who never mourn his loss", and the way he emphases exactly "who never mourn his loss" is just AWESOME.

The days of future past
To wander on the shore
A king without a queen
To die forever more
To wander on the wasteland
Immortal ‘til the end
Waiting for the judgement
But the judgement never ends…

The build-up to "I am he!" on Moonchild. The cold open with the "seven deadly sins..." to the synth melody to the guitars on the low E chord to Nicko's kick drum and then his snare roll building up to the explosion of Maiden!

Best album and concert opener they ever did. Gets me every time.

Last edited:
The build-up to "I am he!" on Moonchild. The cold open with the "seven deadly sins..." to the synth melody to the guitars on the low E chord to Nicko's kick drum and then his snare roll building up the the explosion of Maiden!

Best album and concert opener they ever did. Gets me every time.
Absolutely fucking this. This opening to 7th Son is just SO damn vicious sounding!

How about that acoustic outro on The Prophecy? I enjoy it with my ears.

The whole outro of LIALS gives me goosebumps; I truly believe if they end up doing the Senjutsu tour and I watch them perform this live, I will shed tears.

I've also got too many to list, but I'll add a couple that haven't been mentioned yet. The fantastic intro to Ghost of the Navigator, first painting a picture of a beautiful, calm ocean with that gorgeous melody, then the dread of the oncoming storm with the distorted riff that's just dripping with tension.

Then Dave's solo in Paschendale. Technically not one of his flashiest, but it's always made me well up a little (and erupt in goosebumps, of course), as it shatters of all the tension that's been building over the last 5 minutes and I visualise the doomed souls going over the top. Heartbreaking.

Back