Maiden moments that give you goosebumps

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
so what's your fave Maiden moments from their entire catalogue? :)
one of my all time faves e.g. is that "all are gone & their souls departed" line by Bruce in Stranger In A Strange Land <3
...and "can you be happy now your people are free", last vocal line from Mother Russia, is also one of these outstanding moments I think,
and of course H's solo in Paschendale :wub:
just to name a few of mine.
your turns.
:)

Last edited:
This chorus, but I wonder why they only did it once?

I wish I could go back
Will never be the same again
Bled for all upon this hell on earth

And when I leave this world
I hope to see you all again
On the other side of hell on earth

Upon the eyes of good
I'm following the light again
In between the dark of hell on earth

On the other side, I'll see again heaven
So far away from this hell on earth

I experience that sensation with Maiden a lot, these are just some examples.

To have the belief of others
Looking for the Isle to
Show them a sign
Fertility of all mothers
Stood in silence
Waiting now for their turn

The gateway to Avalon
The island where the souls
Of dead are reborn
Brought here to die and be
Transferred into the earth
And then for rebirth

Another one:

We seem destined to live in fear
And some that would say Armageddon is near
But where there's a life - well there's hope
That man won't self destruct

Why can't we treat our fellow man
With more respect and a shake of their hands
But anger and loathing is rife
The death on all sides is
Becoming a way of life

- The guitar solo´s near the ending of ROTAM and Steve´s bass lines there...but the Live After Death version!
- The instrumental sections of The Duellists, TLOTLDR, SSOASS and The Unbeliever
- The intro Of Caught Somewhere In Time and Childhood´s End
- Sign Of The Cross
- The Parchment

There´s alot more but these are the first came into mind.

- The guitar solo´s near the ending of ROTAM and Steve´s bass lines there...but the Live After Death version!
- The instrumental sections of The Duellists, TLOTLDR, SSOASS and The Unbeliever
- The intro Of Caught Somewhere In Time and Childhood´s End
- Sign Of The Cross
- The Parchment

There´s alot more but these are the first came into mind.
Especially those last three for me. Nice list, dude.

Lately, the crescendoing long vocal choruses of Senjutsu (God I wish they did more Japanese themed songs on this album) I can attest they captured the passion of the Samurai spirit well here.

Every part of The Writing On The Wall. Just a solid, beautifully composed song. It will make a lovely epitaph for humanity when the mass number of idiots and sociopath world leaders we have finally drive us into extinction. (see political topics here at Maidenfans for the perfect examples of why were all headed down the drain :D ) At least the universe will have this to remember us by. A perfect last hurrah, Id say. Certainly works better than "So long, and thanks for all the fish"

Though its not the most thrillmatic or complex song, I still really love Man of Sorrows. The whining twang of the lead parts with the rhythm guitar in the bridge parts still really touches my heart to this day.

Wildest Dreams (whole song) It just holds really great memories for me, and is so much fun. We used to sing this all the time to get fired up driving to gigs. Again, maybe not an impressive Maiden song, but I still love it to bits. It just has so many great vibes in it.

Hallowed Be Thy Name. Especially the intro and first half of the song. This one will forever live in my memories, as one Halloween my dad decidedly to randomly dress up like the Scream guy covered in fake blood, and start singing this outside me and my sisters room while we were listening to the song inside. Then burst in when the part kicks up with Looooooooow! and started chasing us around the house singing all ridiculously spooky. lol

The Journeyman - Just a great epic song that played often on road trips with my family and friends. The pre-chorus, chorus, and bridges of this song are gorgeous.

Iron Maiden - Obvious reasons here. Just a timeless, well written, unique and fun song. Also one of the first cover songs I performed live. I still love the main lead riff to this day, and this song has gotten play at least once a week for years.

Killers - Just a rip roar song, especially the choruses.

Another Life (Live) with Clives drum solo <3 Yes, its the drum solo.

These moments are many! Some of them are:

The chorus and ''Love in anger, Life in danger'' part in Hell On Earth.
The ''Meet me there'' part in The Parchment.
The chorus of Stratego.
The outro of Senjutsu.
The ''oh-oh'' part in The Wicker Man.
The intro of Ghost Of The Navigator.
The verses and the chorus of Out Of The Silent Planet.
The guitar harmony near the end in When Two Worlds Collide.
The melody in the intro of Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger.
The instrumental part in Judgement Of Heaven.
The solos in Alexander The Great.
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, the whole song.
The instrumental section and both solos in The Prisoner.
Hallowed Be Thy Name, the whole song.
The melodic riff in Prowler.

Last edited:
Especially those last three for me. Nice list, dude.

Lately, the crescendoing long vocal choruses of Senjutsu (God I wish they did more Japanese themed songs on this album) I can attest they captured the passion of the Samurai spirit well here.

Every part of The Writing On The Wall. Just a solid, beautifully composed song. It will make a lovely epitaph for humanity when the mass number of idiots and sociopath world leaders we have finally drive us into extinction. (see political topics here at Maidenfans for the perfect examples of why were all headed down the drain :D ) At least the universe will have this to remember us by. A perfect last hurrah, Id say. Certainly works better than "So long, and thanks for all the fish"

Though its not the most thrillmatic or complex song, I still really love Man of Sorrows. The whining twang of the lead parts with the rhythm guitar in the bridge parts still really touches my heart to this day.

Wildest Dreams (whole song) It just holds really great memories for me, and is so much fun. We used to sing this all the time to get fired up driving to gigs. Again, maybe not an impressive Maiden song, but I still love it to bits. It just has so many great vibes in it.

Hallowed Be Thy Name. Especially the intro and first half of the song. This one will forever live in my memories, as one Halloween my dad decidedly to randomly dress up like the Scream guy covered in fake blood, and start singing this outside me and my sisters room while we were listening to the song inside. Then burst in when the part kicks up with Looooooooow! and started chasing us around the house singing all ridiculously spooky. lol

The Journeyman - Just a great epic song that played often on road trips with my family and friends. The pre-chorus, chorus, and bridges of this song are gorgeous.
oh yes, I forgot this one when I initially did my post yesterday, this is absolutely incredible, the part in Senjutsu between mins 4:16 and 5:19

"Now under siege have the real strength to hold them now
Have to believe that we can repel them
Faith in the years our ancestors taught us
Have the belief that we can protect the wall
Try if they can, we will overthrow them
Fight to the last, they can never own us
Battle of wills, we'll fight to the last man
Honour our dead so they never fought in vain"

and also I forgot mentioning the last part from Lost In A Lost World (everybody seems to dislike that song, but the final part is one of the best things Maiden ever did I would say) - the part from mins 8:14 on ("Will we ever heal our old wounds...")

Iron Maiden - Obvious reasons here. Just a timeless, well written, unique and fun song. Also one of the first cover songs I performed live. I still love the main lead riff to this day, and this song has gotten play at least once a week for years.

Killers - Just a rip roar song, especially the choruses.

Another Life (Live) with Clives drum solo <3 Yes, its the drum solo.
oh yes, I forgot this one when I initially did my post yesterday, this is absolutely incredible, the part in Senjutsu between mins 4:16 and 5:19

and also I forgot mentioning the last part from Lost In A Lost World (everybody seems to dislike that song, but the final part is one of the best things Maiden ever did I would say) - the part from mins 8:14 on ("Will we ever heal our old wounds...")

Man Of Sorrows is also on my all time fave list, yes. "And their light is their darkness no more" is a cool part, that's for sure.

Man Of Sorrows is also on my all time fave list, yes. "And their light is their darkness no more" is a cool part, that's for sure.
I actually quite like Lost In A Lost World! We have similar tastes, mate. :) Cheers! :cheers:

I was listening to this song in the car just this weekend, and the part that really got me was these amazing tom rolls Nicko is doing around that same part with the solo. It’s amazing.

I’d also like to submit that whole weird middle instrumental part of Man Who Would be King, which incidentally is another Dave Murray song. I was listening to my vinyl copy of Final Frontier and the drumming during that section is just SO fucking bouncy and groovy.

The instrumental section of the Unbeliever
Starblind, the whole bloody thing
The Parchment and Sign of the Cross from the first sip to the last drop

And To Tame a Land. There’s something about that riff that makes my body get tingly and go ‘oh shit something is happening!’

Senjutsu (God I wish they did more Japanese themed songs on this album) I can attest they captured the passion of the Samurai spirit well here.
There's a good chance Senjutsu (the song) is actually about China. I mean, "fight now for dynasty"? The second verse about various invaders (such as "nomads who come from the plains") is also a likely clue. The song was even called "The Great Wall" while they were making it!

There are alot of moments.

The chorus to Shadows of the Valley
The verses in Children of the Damned. Love the second verse
The Book of the Souls when the song kicks in.
The part like 5 minutes into Starblind. Love that
The chorus in Senjutsu
Adrians solos in Writing and Darkest Hour
The "Meet me there" part in Parchment
Opening to Clansman
Blood on the Worlds Hands chorus, mostly at around 4:15.
Bruce vocals on Seventh Son and Infinite Dreams
Oh and the "Blood and sand, we will prevail" in The Longest Day. Fucking love it

There's a good chance Senjutsu (the song) is actually about China. I mean, "fight now for dynasty"? The second verse about various invaders (such as "nomads who come from the plains") is also a likely clue. The song was even called "The Great Wall" while they were making it!
Holy shit, I never read the lyrics in detail, just jammed the song. I just had a look, and you're right dude. :facepalm: Come on Maiden, really? Why the hell did they name it Senjutsu then??? The beat and motif is clearly Japanese inspired, including the chorus tone. I had no idea about the original song name, and if thats true they should've just kept it. Wtf guys. lol Granted I doubt they know much about the east in general minus the fan community. Most of what I heard and understood sounded Bakumatsu reminiscent, so I just went with it, but yeah, there is clearly great disparity there upon inspection. Theres even more lines too. Having heritage from there I can tell you there's no Great Wall, and it doesnt take a history expert to know somethings off. lol Good catch man. note to self: READ LYRICS THOROUGHLY before posting about a song. lol

Last edited:
Back