Maiden Fans at School

I'm on my second day at a new school, and I can't believe how many people are wearing Maiden t-shirts. I saw atleast three or four TFF tour shirts, a Trooper shirt, and a Wicker Man shirt, and probably more. It just goes to show that Maiden will still have a lot of fans for many years to come!

Are they actually fans?
Or do they just like the shirts and the current street cred?

Not a putdown, I'm an old-timer and am genuinely curious on your take (and others).

I've noticed an upswing in the number of teenage kids wearing Maiden shirts in my area, as well, and more that stop to say "love your shirt, dude!" or something when I am wearing one of mine.  Some may be just following a trend, but I've had interactions with many of them in which they show genuine love of the band, or at least say something like "Maiden's cool, but I like so and so better."  It's cool to actually bridge the generation gap and start a conversation about something you have in common with those you wouldn't normally interact with.  Just another reason why Maiden rules.

I presume you're all from U.S.

Here, in central Europe, kids never stopped listening to Maiden / wearing their shirts.

I'm from Essex, England and at college I have not seen anyone wear a Maiden shirt or in fact never see anyone in the whole area in where I live never seen anyone wearing a Maiden shirt. Mainly just chavs reside in Essex.  :mad:

When I was in high school, there was a group of kids with the long curly hair, the black jeans and leather jackets, and Iron Maiden T's.  I wasn't a fan at the time though.

When I was in high school, grunge and nu-metal were all the rage.  I kept to my Maiden shirts and long hair, and held on to the past with a firm grip. 

At my school (SE England) only the highest two years are allowed to wear their own clothes, in the past week or so i've seen about 4 maiden shirts and about a dozen different rock or metal band shirts.  :shred:

We had to wear school uniform - all thirteen years of school. University is so liberating - I can what what I want now.

mckindog said:
Are they actually fans?
Or do they just like the shirts and the current street cred?

Not a putdown, I'm an old-timer and am genuinely curious on your take (and others).
That's what I thought too; but for me if someone got a concert shirt, and they paid for the concert, I would hope they would be a fan.

I haven't seen more than one or two at my school, and it's always the dirty and weird kids, which is why I stopped wearing my Maiden shirts.

Suicidehummer said:
I haven't seen more than one or two at my school, and it's always the dirty and weird kids, which is why I stopped wearing my Maiden shirts.
Most of the people with t-shirts looked pretty normal. Only one looked a little creepy. Also, today both my band teacher (he has a poster of the Trooper in his room, which just happened to be the shirt I was wearing) and this kid that I sit next to in one of my classes, commented on the shirt, which was pretty cool.

I'm at university in Canada, I actually had a five or six minute conversation with someone in the cafeteria yesterday about the latest tour, we both had on our shirts from the show. Great to get to know/hear the opinions of other Maiden fans. I've seen five or six Maiden shirts in the week or so I have been here. Surprisingly only the one I mentioned was a tour shirt, the rest were album covers (Killers and Piece of Mind especially). I'm not sure whether these people are big fans or just like the shirt, but either way, its great to see more Maiden swag.

I went out with a girl one who used to wear motorhead and Iron Maiden t-shirts, but never listened to their music. She said she just liked the image, she thought it was a cool look. I couldn't never really understand this, but I guess there is no harm, more merchandise sales for the band.

Yeah I know some of the guys wearing Iron Maiden T-Shirts but they DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IRON MAIDEN and probably they aren't fans!Just they wear those T-Shirts because they like the picture and eddie!

Revelations85 said:
Most of the people with t-shirts looked pretty normal. Only one looked a little creepy. Also, today both my band teacher (he has a poster of the Trooper in his room, which just happened to be the shirt I was wearing) and this kid that I sit next to in one of my classes, commented on the shirt, which was pretty cool.

That reminds me, last night I was at a town fair near my house and I saw a Trooper poster at one of the stands, which my 10 year old nephew pointed to and said "it's like your shirts". B)

Vortex said:
I went out with a girl one who used to wear motorhead and Iron Maiden t-shirts, but never listened to their music. She said she just liked the image, she thought it was a cool look. I couldn't never really understand this, but I guess there is no harm, more merchandise sales for the band.

Case in point: Miley Cyrus.

At my school, they're so freaking popular. And people that I know for a fact don't even know who Maiden are wear them. You can get them at any store, that's why. I met ONE person with a Maiden shirt that actually went to the same gig I went to on June 19th. Rare occurrence.

I've stopped and asked a lot of teenagers wearing Maiden shirts.  Most respond with, "it is my brother's tee, I'm just wearing it because I like the artwork."  That's unfortunate IMHO, as I love it when the younger generation loves the same stuff I do.  Keeps my young.  :)

Back