Maiden England '88 + History Part 3 coming March 25th!

See, this would be the stuff I'd like to see happen on the DVD, Rod Smallwood coming out and saying "I contacted Bruce and H" (if that what was happened) small things like that, that would close the chapter on certain things.

Well he was managing both bands, so it wasn't really hard to get the whole thing to come together. All Bruce wanted (or one of the things) was for Adrian to be included, and Steve easily agreed to that.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Steve talking about this in an interview (probably posted here somewhere); describing how he had seen Bruce in the years when he wasn't in Maiden (same record label) but they'd literally said nothing (besides pleasantries) to each other. Then he heard (through intermediaries) that Bruce wanted to come back, etc, etc. Steve's definitely talked about it.

I just want it from the horses mouth so to speak :D And a little bit more information than just "Oh and then we just got Bruce back and that was it"...but maybe we won't hear more on how it happened than that :p

Actually, Blaze sold all of his TXF and VXI royalty rights to Steve in the early 2000's because he needed the quick cash. Managed to blow it all away again because he trusted the wrong people. I'd recommend buying "At the End of the Day" by Lawrence Paterson, his ex-drummer and a very eloquent guy: http://www.amazon.com/At-The-End-Day-ebook/dp/B006RT9RMU/ , it's only $9.50, and has a ton of information regarding Blaze's time auditioning and being in Maiden, the break-up period and the period after that from Blaze's perspective.

For example, after leaving Maiden, he was still managed by Sanctuary (i.e. Smallwood & co.), and the release of his debut solo album was being postponed for 6 months and finally timed so it would be released on the same week as Brave New World. As he himself said, if a kid had the money to buy one album, would he buy the Maiden reunion album, or the album of the guy that everyone hated while he was in the band?

Aye, I ken --you just want the detail! :D

Basically yeah. I want to know Maiden's decisions for bringing back Bruce and getting rid of Blaze. I want to hear Bruce's decisions. I want to hear Smallwood talk about it. If he set up the meeting between Bruce and Steve I want him to take us through the day hour by hour etc :D

Actually, Blaze sold all of his TXF and VXI royalty rights to Steve in the early 2000's because he needed the quick cash. Managed to blow it all away again because he trusted the wrong people. I'd recommend buying "At the End of the Day" by Lawrence Paterson, his ex-drummer and a very eloquent guy: http://www.amazon.com/At-The-End-Day-ebook/dp/B006RT9RMU/ , it's only $9.50, and has a ton of information regarding Blaze's time auditioning and being in Maiden, the break-up period and the period after that from Blaze's perspective.

For example, after leaving Maiden, he was still managed by Sanctuary (i.e. Smallwood & co.), and the release of his debut solo album was being postponed for 6 months and finally timed so it would be released on the same week as Brave New World. As he himself said, if a kid had the money to buy one album, would he buy the Maiden reunion album, or the album of the guy that everyone hated while he was in the band?

Yeah I remeber those 2 albums coming out on the same day and being baffled at why they would do that. I bought both anyway.:D

Basically yeah. I want to know Maiden's decisions for bringing back Bruce and getting rid of Blaze. I want to hear Bruce's decisions. I want to hear Smallwood talk about it. If he set up the meeting between Bruce and Steve I want him to take us through the day hour by hour etc :D
I don't think that's gonna happen, because Blaze in the above-mentioned biography said that Rod had approached him, alone, and told him that Bruce was coming back and that it was a done deal... Yeah, I know it's business and all, but I don't think they'll actually talk about how they did it. Would be interesting, though.

If I remember correctly all six of them (not Blaze) along with management sat down and talked about it over a pint. But I'm sure there was a one on one meeting between Steve and Bruce before that. Also the one that needed the most convincing was Nicko because he felt and hurt and betrayed by Bruce leaving them and needed assurance that he wouldn't leave again.

No I think like I said earlier they'll skip selectively through all that..But it sure would save everyone a lot of speculation if they just told it like it is/was.

Perhaps it was a difficult period but also special. I hope Maiden still remembers those who did support them. It's never cool when a band gives in to negative criticism (in hindsight) especially not for people who found that period special, and who supported them. Let me speak for myself: I would find that painful.

I completly and perfectly agree with your comments. It just seems now that those 4/5 years were a total mistake, or even that they don't even exist in Maiden's history, but some fans were totally in it. For some, those years are just like an unhappy parenthesis in an otherwise glorious history, but at the time, this made sense. Dickinson wasn't fired, he decided to leave, and they had to take a new departure. Steve decided to pick up a singer with a completly new style. The material they wrote for X Factor perfectly suited his voice (or at least I think so, and I rate XF very highly), the problem being Blaze not being confortable with the old songs (or some of them). I think Steve has got to be credited for choosing a singer with new material in mind, and not someone who would be Bruce's clone.

If I remember correctly all six of them (not Blaze) along with management sat down and talked about it over a pint. But I'm sure there was a one on one meeting between Steve and Bruce before that. Also the one that needed the most convincing was Nicko because he felt and hurt and betrayed by Bruce leaving them and needed assurance that he wouldn't leave again.

I remember a very angry radio interview that Nicko did bad mouthing Bruce very harshly just after his departure. On the other hand I also seem to remember Nicko being one of the guys who liked Blaze the least..taunting him behind his back when Blaze had off-days on tour and so on. Again I need to find a credible source for that but I definitely remember reading about it

Yeah it seems Nicko is the type to easily hold grudges, he held a grudge against Pat Travers for a very long time as well.

I remember a very angry radio interview that Nicko did bad mouthing Bruce very harshly just after his departure. On the other hand I also seem to remember Nicko being one of the guys who liked Blaze the least..taunting him behind his back when Blaze had off-days on tour and so on. Again I need to find a credible source for that but I definitely remember reading about it
That interview is on the IMC. It was a very drunk and bitter Nicko giving a knee jerk reaction to Bruce's departure. Doesn't surprise me that he didn't enjoy the Blaze era. The half assed drumming on Virtual XI reflects that.

Edit: Sixes just linked the one I"m talking about

Yeah, that's the rumour... Apparently, his comment on Blaze leaving was "Elvis has left the building", probably referring to his sideburns. I think it was among the facts that were once on the Maidenfans homepage, but I also recall to have read that it was not true.

Also, talking about Bruce's departure, look at Nicko's reaction at the end of Raising Hell when the goons "kidnap" Bruce to have him "executed" - hillarious!

He was also the only guy that hugged him, though. Steve said somewhere that he couldn't stand to look at him during the whole show.

"Nicko: My father, rest his soul, said to me once: 'Son, if anyone ever shits on the McBrain name, they'll only do it the one time'. Kerrang!: Did Bruce Dickinson, one of Metal's most prominent frontmen, shit on Iron Maiden when he announced that he was going to leave at the end of this 'Real Live Tour'? Nicko: Sure he did! He's fuckin' leaving the band, you dip-shit! Course he has! He's said, 'Fuck you, I'm off'. If that ain't shitting on you, then what the fuck is?! I told Steve what my old man said, and I think he thought it was a sensible analogy! It seems to have been a culmination of things for Bruce. He's been writing screenplays, books.... he's got his fencing and his family. It could have been pressure from his wife, for all I know. He hasn't said anything, but it's a possibility. Plus, he went to LA, and y'know what the fucking wankers are like out there!: "Oh, fuckin' Bruce Dickinson, you awesome mother-fucker, duuude! Yeah, you'll make a great fuckin' career on your own! Leave that bunch of fuckin' has-beens behind!"

YHe was also the only guy that hugged him, though. Steve said somewhere that he couldn't stand to look at him during the whole show.
I read the same thing, but they did have a couple moments of interaction and smiling at each other.

Well he was managing both bands, so it wasn't really hard to get the whole thing to come together. All Bruce wanted (or one of the things) was for Adrian to be included, and Steve easily agreed to that.

As far as I know (interviews and official biography), Steve repeatedly said that HE wanted Adrian back. When talks with Bruce were on the way, he asked for Adrian to come back. He has often said that Maiden had lost something with Adrian, and H has jammed several times with them, so they were no harsh feelings.
As for Bruce, his conditions were about Maiden being a more democratic band : Steve not being the sole producer, not recording the albums at home and so on...

That interview is on the IMC. It was a very drunk and bitter Nicko giving a knee jerk reaction to Bruce's departure. Doesn't surprise me that he didn't enjoy the Blaze era. The half assed drumming on Virtual XI reflects that.

Edit: Sixes just linked the one I"m talking about

Yup very. But it is also out there in audio form. I swear I've heard it somewhere uploaded on YouTube. YEARS ago though.

Back