Maiden At The O2 This August?

No cheap to get to London then! I guess you'd prefer a show in Manchester or Glasgow as well then.

It's fairly cheap for me to get to London from Birmingham and back. If I wasn't living in Birmingham at the moment then I wouldn't be going to this concert.

All the more reason to have the second UK show somewhere other than London! People have every right to complain if they can't afford it Hermod. £60 is indeed "nothing to complain about" if the gig's on your doorstep; not so much if you're travelling half way across the country to see them. What was stopping them playing Birmingham again, or Manchester arena, or Glasgow?

Sorry I didn’t mean that to come out as it did and no offence was intended I just meant in the grand scheme of things £60.00 is money well spent to see the best band in the world in a top venue and on a Saturday night as well. Factor in that only a few weeks ago it looked like they wouldn’t be playing anymore dates anywhere in the UK I thought the announcement of 2 extra gigs was something to celebrate not grumble about

Whilst I appreciate London is not convenient for everyone I didn’t complain when it appeared they would only be playing one gig in the UK this year at Download in the MIDLANDS. I just got on with it and forked out for travel, accommodation and a small fortune for a ticket and also for a night in Paris as well I was desperate to see the band as much as possible on this tour.

The idea of playing Birmingham, Manchester etc is all well and good but where does it end? If you play there then what about Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh? And then if do those why not Belfast, Cardiff and Dublin? Even then people would still complain that Liverpool, Leeds etc had been missed.

Also what about those fans living in the London area that missed out on the Saturday at the O2 because they weren’t IMFC members, O2 users or who couldn’t get on line at 9am on Friday? (The tickets sold out in 12mins by the way!)

The London dates seem to have been chosen as the best way to play to the maximum amount of people (40,000?) at the least amount of aggravation to the band and the crew.

One last point that people seem to forget is that at the Paris Bercy gig Nicko celebrated he’s 60th birthday and the others are all in their mid to late fifties now as well. How many more gigs do you expect them to play or think they can handle just because it’s too expensive or too much hassle for you to get down to London at the weekend?

I really am sorry for all of those who can’t make it to London but they will never be able to please everyone however many gigs and however many places they play. We should just be thankful for the fact that this fantastic band are still prepared to get out there and graft and put on shows for the fans, even if they might not be exactly what we would want given the choice.

I agree with most of what you say --but we (I) like grumbling! :p

Aye, I agree two London gigs is better than nothing. In fact it's amazing! And, £60 is fine, personally. (Although how can you describe Download as a "small fortune" when the O2 is £60. You could get Saturday tickets for ~£80 could you not?) But, ignoring your own personal circumstances (Donington is what, 100-120 miles, 2-2.5 hours driving, from London? --the "MIDLANDS" isn't that far away...), I'm just saying it could have been better, timing-wise. It's really just the whole notice that was the most annoying. I cannot arrange to get to a gig with 5-6 weeks notice in August, money or no money --unless I go A.W.O.L. from work. It's not that it's "not convenient" --I just canny do it. As for their age --I've already addressed this. And the places you mention --nobody's suggesting Glasgow and Edinburgh. All I'm saying is that London is at the other end of the country for everyone, other than those in the South-east. Every gig is always going to be on someone's doorstep; they're stand-alone gig could've been in the middle of the country though.

Whilst I appreciate London is not convenient for everyone I didn’t complain when it appeared they would only be playing one gig in the UK this year at Download in the MIDLANDS. I just got on with it and forked out for travel, accommodation and a small fortune for a ticket and also for a night in Paris as well I was desperate to see the band as much as possible on this tour.

The idea of playing Birmingham, Manchester etc is all well and good but where does it end? If you play there then what about Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh? And then if do those why not Belfast, Cardiff and Dublin? Even then people would still complain that Liverpool, Leeds etc had been missed.

Ok, first of all the location of Download festival isn't decided by Iron Maiden and it's in the same place every year. The name Midlands should also suggest that you that Donington Park is in the middle England and therefore fairly easy for everyone to get to. You can't please everyone but if people from Cornwall or the north of Scotland want to go then it's not such a massive journey if they go for the whole weekend.

Secondly, nobody is expecting or asking for a whole UK tour, just a little more consideration towards the UK's geography. If there was a show in Glasgow or Manchester instead of a second London date then people wouldn't have to travel as far or spend as much money on transport/accommodation. It might be possible for a lot of people to get home at night. It's not that difficult for people in Belfast or Newcastle to get to and from Glasgow or Manchester but London is just too far away for people to go for such a sort length of time.

Yeah, people will go anyway because it's Maiden. I'm lucky enough to be in Birmingham at the moment so I can go to the Saturday show and get back to Birmingham afterwards. If I was at home then I wouldn't be going at all. I've missed out on a lot of bands I've wanted to see because they won't do anything other than London and it's pretty painful sometimes. If the two shows had been in London and Glasgow/Manchester then surely the entire country would get a fair chance to see Maiden with one show in London, one in the Midlands and one at some point further north? Have a think about it Hermod. The UK is not all about London.

can go to the Saturday show and get back to Birmingham afterwards. If I was at home then I wouldn't be going at all. I've missed out on a lot of bands I've wanted to see because they won't do anything other than London and it's pretty painful sometimes. If the two shows had been in London and Glasgow/Manchester then surely the entire country would get a fair chance to see Maiden with one show in London, one in the Midlands and one at some point further north? Have a think about it Hermod. The UK is not all about London.

I never said the UK is all about London did I? I merely pointed out that for a band in their position (Age, time on tour already etc) playing these gigs in London made sense for them.

I know in terms of seeing bands I’m lucky living in London (not much else to be said for it tho’ expensive, overcrowded, dirty etc) but with over 8 million people here you can understand why bands do see it as the place to play.

Yes Download tickets are excellent value for money in terms of the amount of bands on show but factor in traveling from London, accommodation, beer and food for me and the girls etc made it very expensive.

I gave up festivals years ago as not a youngster anymore however as I thought this would be the only gig Maiden would play in the UK I decided the cost, time off work etc was a price worth paying.

And before anyone says anything yes I would be traveling to Manchester or Birmingham in August if the gigs were there and only there. We done It before in 2010 when they only played Sonisphere and Dublin – we flew to Ireland as we couldn’t make Knebworth and wanted to see our favourite band.

I

Yes Download tickets are excellent value for money in terms of the amount of bands on show but factor in traveling from London, accommodation, beer and food for me and the girls etc made it very expensive.
You don't have to drink beer at a festival you know...

I've seen Zico Chain before at Download in 07 I think it was, but never heard their name again since. Don't remember a thing about them though.

Would've loved to have Sabaton as support for our show, although Motorhead/UFO were great and it was a festival after all... Sabaton would've just been better. Damn these mismatched supports! If Sabaton were supporting I may have tried to get tickets to O2 as I know a few other people going that I haven't seen in a few years.

Zico Chain supported Steve/British Lion. They served the purpose in a small venue, but I can't imagine them in a bigger one.

Zico Chain are ok, but I agree with Brigantium that they might not work in a massive venue. I first saw them at Download 07 and they were pretty good, then I saw the play in a pub in a town near me and they were great but before March I hadn't heard their name since.

There's some tickets still showing for Saturday night; perhaps held back & now available? Anyway, they're up on the second tier ("4B"), but central. Anyone who's been to the O2 any thoughts on what's still available on Saturday, & what's left on Sunday? i.e. sound/view wise. All the standing, both nights, is sold out. Sunday there's still some available up on the second tier but on the sides (poor view I'd guess) & some lower tier central looking ones (which, I'd guess, would be pretty good; but perhaps not if nobody's taken them).

Just curious, as I may still get a ticket for Sunday...

Back