Maiden At The O2 This August?

The friends I was with absolutely loved it, we had seats in the middle tier on Saturday and the sound was fine for us. Admittedly it was a bit distorted at times on the Sunday when we were standing, especially when Bruce was talking between songs but certainly wasn't enough to spoil the show.

They seemed to have loads of energy and were really up for it, especially on the Saturday. Maybe it was playing in their home town and knowing they have a break now that invigorated them a bit but I thought they were on top form?

I don't know if it's because most of us on here have seen them plenty of times so are searching for perfection in terms of sound. stage show, set list etc but realistically are you ever going to get that? The band are only human and like all of us they are entitled to have the odd off day now and again.

Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I totally respect that fact, to me there are always more positives to take from a Maiden gig than negatives any day.

Hehe. Punch-ups. Don't know if I'd have missed an encore over a few fistycuffs...

If your boyfriend had been injured by a drunk arsehole and you had to take him to hospital, you might.

Edit: also by that point, I was just tired of it all and wanted to leave. Security at the O2 was really lacking. My BF jumped in to pry two guys off one another, after security tried to intervene and were pushed aside.

Yeh, totally agree; I'm only kidding. If I'd gone to see my favourite band I'd have been totally pissed if some bawbags were fighting. It would have had the potential to totally ruin the night. Not good. And what the hell were they doing anyway? Maiden are on stage guys! No need for your attention to be anywhere else...

One nearly broke out in front of me at Download. Some big bloke barged past a smaller guy, who must have said something to him, and he came back and started swinging fists at him. Two women stepped in and got between them.
And yeah, Maiden were on stage, and both the guys in question were wearing Maiden shirts.

At Donington, I'm less surprised --not everyone there is a massive Maiden fan, for example; more chance of people being a little more drunk I'd suspect, with the whole "festival" (all weekend, all day, outside) atmosphere, etc. But at the O2, with everyone being, in all probability, a massive Maiden fan, it's just plain dumb. Mostly drink related I'd guess...

And what the hell were they doing anyway? Maiden are on stage guys! No need for your attention to be anywhere else...

Definitely. You're right, I think drink had an awful lot to do with it. One (very, very obviously drunk) guy was kicked out of the venue early on in the evening, during Zico Chain's performance, for getting mouthy with and then backhanding a security guard across the mouth. What looked liked happened was, this dude somehow got back into the arena during Maiden's part of the show, and then him and three others started beating up on another fan. Security did try to break it up, but there weren't enough of them there fast enough and other fans were getting involved trying to pull these guys off each other. And these were all fans, everyone involved that I saw was wearing a Maiden T-shirt. Absolutely ridiculous to behave that way at a gig.

I'm glad I was sitting up in the Gods now! :p There's a video of a Foo Fighters gig where Dave Grohl spots someone throwing a couple and he flipped out and told him to leave and that "nobody fights at my shows".

They seemed to have loads of energy and were really up for it, especially on the Saturday. Maybe it was playing in their home town and knowing they have a break now that invigorated them a bit but I thought they were on top form?
I like to think it was because they were overwhelmed by how much their home fans still love them. But maybe I'm getting carried away.

Phantom Maiden, sorry you had to go through that. It only takes one or two idiots (drunk or otherwise) to ruin it for everyone. Hope your boyfriend is alright now.

I'm glad I was sitting up in the Gods now! :p There's a video of a Foo Fighters gig where Dave Grohl spots someone throwing a couple and he flipped out and told him to leave and that "nobody fights at my shows".
I've seen that, Grohl is pretty strict for a guy who was in a hardcore punk band.

When I arrived in London on Saturday I met up with a friend who was going to show me around a bit as I'd never been before (I also needed help navigating the Underground). This afternoon I got a text from her asking if I'd seen Bruce Forsyth because she'd read an article saying that he was there. Bruce Forsyth at a metal concert is a strange thing to consider!

I was there, first Maiden gig since 2006, drive down from the West Midlands. Loved the 7th Son tour on video since I was a kid, decided to shell out & travel despite feeling short changed they won't tour the UK but I didn't want to miss this set list.
I got a good spot about 4/5 rows from the front. There was a little trouble at first because of a drunken group of Sweeds pushing there way through, I was having none of it. Still we had a great time. When it came to the encore my wife said she couldn't face standing anymore & so we relocated for the final three songs near the back floor by the bar. I'm kicking myself now for giving up my spot and moving, i feel like it has somewhat spoil the experience, someone tell me I'm nuts, but this concert has a special place in my heart!

Phantom Maiden, sorry you had to go through that. It only takes one or two idiots (drunk or otherwise) to ruin it for everyone. Hope your boyfriend is alright now.

Thanks Black Abyss Babe, he's doing ok now, although he did get a good talking to from me afterwards about getting himself in harm's way, even though his intentions were good and he was trying to help out another fan, I think it was stupid because he ended up getting hurt. Thanks again.

Bruce Forsyth a fan ?. Just shows any kind of person can become a member of the extended Iron Maiden family. There are some trendy well what should i say ?. Old geezers.

Thanks Black Abyss Babe, he's doing ok now, although he did get a good talking to from me afterwards about getting himself in harm's way, even though his intentions were good and he was trying to help out another fan, I think it was stupid because he ended up getting hurt. Thanks again.
That's good to hear - hopefully your next show will be trouble-free.

Back