Maiden At The O2 This August?

Indeed and, as it's going to be a nice day we'll be going to the Tesco Express (about 200 yards away from the o2 entrance) for beers; why pay through the nose at the bar when you can sit out on the grass, in the sun, drinking with thousands of fellow Maidenites?!

Oh yeah, I know that Tesco Express...

£5 a pint in the arena! Glad I pre-loaded on cheap canned lager instead...

Hey guys I saw maiden at the O2 yesterday and... :( not good, The sound was horrible it was a lot of echoes, and it was an average performance and bruce keept saying '' Scream for me london'' so many times he was just putting it in random places he used to do it before a guitar solo and before the drums come in like 2 minutes to midnight intro just before the drums come in bruce should of went ''Scream for me london''
and I also had problems with the setlist, there was nothing wrong with the songs buy they played moonchild first I mean you want a song whats fast when opening a concert so Aces High should of been that song to start with not moonchild as it starts of slow and the people there agreed who I spoke to I mean they wanted to hear Flight of Icarus and Bring your daughter to the slaughter they are 2 classic maiden songs I mean when was the last time they played them and this is the biggest mistake of them all... they DID NOT play Hallowed Be Thy Name OMG WHY? so many people there were chanting it.

Actually I thought Moonchild was a good choice for opener. Certainly the intro starts slow but it builds and picks up momentum and then they all appear on stage under cover of that huge pyro flash ...
I take your point about the sound though, I didn't notice any echo where I was (at the top of the 1st tier, near the centre) but there was a lot of buzz that I'm pretty sure wasn't supposed to be there. This could be an issue with the acoustic qualities of the venue though, I'm sure everyone was doing their best. Voodoo Six seemed to have the same problem.

Last edited:
The sound was better than at Donington, but very 'boomy', the guitars came in and out of focus during solos and the more powerchordy songs were very muddy, especially during the first half of the gig. Nicko was very clear, but Bruce was very indistinct,
to the point where his camped-up bit with the flame columns in Phantom were indecipherable. (Never mind the fact he should keep his gob shut during the instrumental sections,!) There were certainly too many repetitions of "Scream for me - OH THAT'S BULLSHIT LONDON, SCREAM FOR ME!", and later on there were a couple of times when he got no reaction for them (mainly because it was so difficult to make out what he was saying). Even he must have been aware of it as, towards the end he very carefully enunciated "I! Can't! Hear! You!" like he was talking to a bunch of deaf grannies...

SSOASS was played very well, and Davey's certainly having a little one-man Renaissance isn't he?! Some of his solos were tremendous (when I could hear them). I enjoyed Afraid To Shoot Strangers a lot more this time, but nothing will match seeing it played at Donington '92, but I saw a lot of the rest of the set played at Twickenham. Prisoner was great

I know there's been a lot of moaning about the setlist, but it's justified when you see that no less than twelve of the seventeen songs played last night also featured in the Twickenham gig. By the encores I was a little underwhelmed by hearing the same old songs again.

It was a better-than-average performance for me, certainly not as good as their last shows at the 02, but they were pretty special gigs for me so it would be difficult to reach those heights. I always think the nostalgia shows are more difficult to psyche up for, as there's no surprise factor of hearing a new song live for the first time, but it was still fun.

However I will be waiting to hear that sound issues have been resolved before I buy another Maiden ticket; there's no excuse at the o2, where they sounded so great two years ago, and where Rush had sound so good I actually worried they might be miming, and no excuse this late on into a tour. Either their PA is duff or their soundman is deaf.

The sound was better than at Donington, but very 'boomy', the guitars came in and out of focus during solos and the more powerchordy songs were very muddy, especially during the first half of the gig. Nicko was very clear, but Bruce was very indistinct,
to the point where his camped-up bit with the flame columns in Phantom were indecipherable. (Never mind the fact he should keep his gob shut during the instrumental sections,!) There were certainly too many repetitions of "Scream for me - OH THAT'S BULLSHIT LONDON, SCREAM FOR ME!", and later on there were a couple of times when he got no reaction for them (mainly because it was so difficult to make out what he was saying). Even he must have been aware of it as, towards the end he very carefully enunciated "I! Can't! Hear! You!" like he was talking to a bunch of deaf grannies...

SSOASS was played very well, and Davey's certainly having a little one-man Renaissance isn't he?! Some of his solos were tremendous (when I could hear them). I enjoyed Afraid To Shoot Strangers a lot more this time, but nothing will match seeing it played at Donington '92, but I saw a lot of the rest of the set played at Twickenham. Prisoner was great

I know there's been a lot of moaning about the setlist, but it's justified when you see that no less than twelve of the seventeen songs played last night also featured in the Twickenham gig. By the encores I was a little underwhelmed by hearing the same old songs again.

It was a better-than-average performance for me, certainly not as good as their last shows at the 02, but they were pretty special gigs for me so it would be difficult to reach those heights. I always think the nostalgia shows are more difficult to psyche up for, as there's no surprise factor of hearing a new song live for the first time, but it was still fun.

However I will be waiting to hear that sound issues have been resolved before I buy another Maiden ticket; there's no excuse at the o2, where they sounded so great two years ago, and where Rush had sound so good I actually worried they might be miming, and no excuse this late on into a tour. Either their PA is duff or their soundman is deaf.

Yes I was up high on to the left looking down and I remember when voodoo six was playing a song one of the guitars cut out and after the song they took a thew seconds to sort it out and Iron maiden are my fav band I love them but I know that wasnt 100% and did it annoy you that bruce kept saying ''scream for me london'' I like when he says it but yeasterday he was just putting it in random places and I couldnt hear bruce or the guitars that well but the drums and bass sound were good. :)

I was sitting in literally the back row of the top tier at the back of the arena right in a corner and I had a great time. Actually seeing what was happening on stage for a change was quite interesting! I didn't have any problems with the sound but I would only notice if it was dreadful. In fact, I was so far away from any speakers this time that I didn't have to use ear plugs!

For those of you who are complaining about Bruce saying "Scream For Me!" too often then I call that a first world problem.

About the setlist: I would happily see Iron Maiden play any setlist. I'm not too bothered that certain songs were or weren't included in the setlist for this year's tour because I thought that it was a great set anyway. There were a load of songs that I haven't seen them play and probably won't see them play again and I've seen them play songs that weren't included this year. There are, however, songs that I would like them to drop them for the next tour though. Perhaps once the tour is finished we can have a serious spoiler free discussion about the setlist but in all honesty I think we should be happy with what we got.

For those of you who are complaining about Bruce saying "Scream For Me!" too often then I call that a first world problem.

He did it over one of Adrian's solos, which is just bloody rude. It was intrusive, and he was gooning around when he didn't need to be noticed. An attention-seeking frontman trying to steal the limelight from band members is hardly like suffering a warm white wine at an apres-ski.

but in all honesty I think we should be happy with what we got.

Bollocks. If I think the setlist was
lazy (repetition), cowardly (ATSS instead of Infinite Dreams?), and unimaginative (nothing rare from SIT, no Only The Good Die Young)
then that's what I think. I'm not going to change into a grovelling peasant thankful that The Lords of Maiden have graciously thrown me a few crumbs.

Why would I be asking for a refund when you already know I felt the show was good but not great? I have written emails to both Maiden and the O2 complaining about the sound quality last night though.

And as I have also indicated above I won't be going to another Maiden show unless I'm reassured by the comments and reports from other fans that the sound quality is improved. There have been too many posts about poor sound, indoor and outdoor, on this forum alone.

Of course, I really shouldn't be allowed to voice anything but my full-throated approval though, I should just suck up the elements that I didn't like...

Remember, if you are criticising, you are not being grateful. If you are blaming, you are not being grateful. If you are complaining, you are not being grateful.

Why should I be grateful?

More importantly, why are you being so patronisingly and tediously dismissive?

I think that rolpol makes some good points.

I'm myself satisfied with the setlist, but I can see why having half of the set on repeat throughout most tours can get a bit tedious and boring

I too thought that my previous Maiden gigs were better. This was a very, very good gig I saw in Stockholm, but it did not reach the level of the 2010 or 2008 gigs (about equal to 2006). I noted too that Bruce seemed a slight bit less enthusiastic than usual and the band didn't appear quite as tight, as Nicko dropped off the beat a couple of times and a couple of guitar mistakes too. Rolpol is, or should be, allowed to feel this way and to voice his concern.

And on the subject of refunds, I believe a few hundred attendants formally claimed a refund after the Stockholm gig. Don't think they got one though, the promoter claims it's Maiden's responsibility, as the cause for the refund claims was the sound.

Because you're giving me every impression that you didn't want to enjoy yourself after spending a lot of money. I don't see the point in complaining about the setlist when the band has 150 songs to choose from and it's impossible to keep everyone happy. It's not like you've been to see Europe and they haven't played 'The Final Countdown'. I've been to Maiden shows where they've played songs I don't really like and dropped songs that I love but I'm not going to be bitter about it. If you don't want to be disappointed by the setlist then look at it before you buy a ticket, it's been on the internet for months and hasn't changed. It's almost as if you went to the O2 looking for a reason to criticise the setlist.

I mentioned about six or so posts above that I'd seen the very same show at Donington, which would be an obvious and undeniable indication of whether I knew what the setlist was before going to the O2 last night.

Furthermore, how can I give you the impression that I didn't want to enjoy myself when I've stated (and this will be the third time now) that I thought the show was good but not great?

Honestly, how can manufacturing emotionally-charged conclusions, that are rendered nonsensical by a basic reading of the words I have posted, help your credibility gap here?

You're just pissed off that I'm criticising, but you can't actually figure out the reason why it annoys you so much, so you're reduced to projecting nonsensical arguments to justify your feelings.

Try reading what I've written before getting your knickers in a twist about what you think I'm trying to say.

Back