Maiden Albums: Head to Head

Vote for your favourite song from each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Amongst the casual fans it seems to be very underrated, but the general consensus on here amongst the super-fans is that it is overrated.

I love the sound of it, but outside of three or four songs I think it's just not quite there. As Bruce said, it's a transitional album and what it started Seventh Son did much better.

Both Piece of Mind and Somewhere In Time are good albums but not perfect. POM has some good songs but isn't the strongest as a whole. Powerslave annihilates it in that regard. One could argue that SiT is annihilated by its counterpart SSoaSS, but recently the latter has fallen and the former has risen in my rankings.

Powerslave has some good songs but isn't the strongest as a whole. Piece of Mind annihilates it in that regard.

That's how I see it ;)

Somewhere in Time and AMOLAD may be the ultimate "growers" in the Maiden catalogue.

I think you're right there. I knew songs from both albums quite early in my Maiden fandom (CSIT and BTATS were among the first Maiden songs I ever heard), but it took a while for me to get fully into the albums. I love AMOLAD now.

Ridiculous outcome that I do not take serious.
I expect a few people did not focus enough on songs (openly admitted by LooseCannon). They rather wanted an album to win. It made the difference.

These are highly unlikely results:

Revelations winning from Wasted Years
Cross Eyed Mary winning from Reach Out
Sun and Steel winning from That Girl
Still Life winning from Stranger in a Strange Land

I voted for the SIT song in 3/4 those pairings, but the results aren't that unlikely. Revelations has placed Top 5 in a Maiden survivor once, the second one is a matchup of well-liked B-sides, third one is an album song vs. a B-side and the last one is two songs that are similar in terms of overall rankings here.

I have never seen praise for the Tull cover. Way more for its opponent. Also way more praise for That Girl than for Sun and Steel. I'll check the song topics for Still Life and Stranger.

Revelations ended up higher in a survivor because it had less album concurrence in that phase of the game. This is not such a game format.
(And Stranger in a Strange Land's lengthy solo was voted as most popular solo on this forum. I thought that could have helped and well)

Revelations winning from Wasted Years
In the individual song threads, "Revelations" is rated higher than "Wasted Years". I voted for the latter, but I never expected it to win the match-up.
Cross Eyed Mary winning from Reach Out
Why? As far as I know, "Cross-Eyed Mary" is one of the most popular Iron Maiden B-sides ever, and very often considered one of the, if not the best.
Sun and Steel winning from That Girl
There's nothing really wrong with "Sun and Steel", and it's an album song v B-side matchup. "That Girl" is not as well liked and popular as some try to make it out to be.
Still Life winning from Stranger in a Strange Land
About time a monster song like "Still Life" gained some more recognition.

Anyway. At least one person admitted how he voted for the album. I am not attacking him personally for it. Just drawing my own conclusions about the outcome of the game.

Only one or two votes otherwise and the outcome is different.

Thanks for hosting @mckindog

Back