Maiden Albums: Head to Head

Vote for your favourite song from each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All this talk of bias is ridiculous. Piece of Mind is better to me because of Bruce and Adrians songwriting contributions (not simply because they appear on this album and not Iron Maiden) and the fact that the band as a whole was more stable and had better chemistry at this point. If I heard the two back to back and had no idea who any of the band members were (though of course I'd notice the different singers) I'd still pick Piece of Mind.

I knew the debut long before POM and I prefer POM. Does that mean I'm biased?
Well, I do not think anyone is immune. Some are more biased than others in a certain direction, depending on several factors (some I've mentioned). I do believe that most of us had to do with the familiarity I mentioned in that "Steak" starting post.

I feel you have very independent thinking (not just in music) and you're very strong about personal taste, which you may see as a very strong personal thing. I never ruled out taste. Taste is the major factor. I just think that taste is not just inside, but also outside. Taste and preference can be shaped by all kinds of factors. Most factors rule out in favour of Piece of Mind, certainly in this voting group.

the band as a whole was more stable and had better chemistry at this point.
Who cares about band stability? It's about the songs, the stuff you hear. Are you telling me that you hear that the band was more stable when listening to Piece of Mind? Now that would be convenient. Still, a stable band can write bad songs, so I do not see how this factor is of importance.

You're hearing a fuller guitar sound on Piece of Mind (perhaps the fullest of the discography), you might call it production that you like. But there sure was chemistry on the debut. Lots of energy as well.

I am not advocating that Piece of Mind is the worse album. It's the big difference in the score. This 10 to 1 score: I have to admit this also has to do with the battles. Prowler, Remember Tomorrow and and others songs would have had a bigger chance to win from less popular Piece of Mind opponents.

Last edited:
Who cares about band stability?

A stable band with good chemistry play better together, resulting in a better sounding album. Sure, it doesn't make an album full of crap songs automatically great, but you can clearly hear a disinterested band. Judas Priests Redeemer of Souls springs to mind, or even Maidens own The Final Frontier - good songs hampered by a half arsed performance. Take Judas Priest from those examples, Richie Faulkner had barely been in the band three years when he recorded Redeemer, but come Firepower he's been with them for six or seven years and everyone sounds so much more into it on that album.

You're hearing a fuller guitar sound on Piece of Mind (perhaps the fullest of the discography), you might call it production that you like.

I genuinely have no idea what you mean by this, I didn't take the production into account at all. The production on the debut is garbage, but the songs are still strong.

I don't know why this is such a big issue for you. Others lack of enjoyment of something that you like should not affect you at all.

This ended up being a surprisingly pretty even match-up for me, and ends up 6-5 for Piece of Mind.

I'm a little surprised I'm the only person to vote for Running Free. Where's @Niall Kielt when you need him? :p

Yeah, Empire

Also, people complain about the "epics" bias vs the shorter songs and then there's one great short song and everyone loses their minds again...

People have also voted against Rime, Amigos, and Empire. This forum is nutty.
I can at least understand the choice of voting against "Amigos" and "Empire" (given their matchups in their respective rounds, plus the overall known reception of both here), but "Rime" is indeed another head-scratcher. However, IIRC, only 1 person voted for "Journeyman" against it. Here, there were 4 (four) who voted against "Phantom".

Phantom is a good epic, true. But Boots is one of my favourite short gallops. 'Arry makes that one for me.

A stable band with good chemistry play better together, resulting in a better sounding album. Sure, it doesn't make an album full of crap songs automatically great, but you can clearly hear a disinterested band. Judas Priests Redeemer of Souls springs to mind, or even Maidens own The Final Frontier - good songs hampered by a half arsed performance.

Hm, i'm not sure a "disinterested" band is the opposite of a "stable" band. I think that there are a lot of fantastic albums in Rock n Roll made by bands that you wouldn't exactly call stable- sometimes that tension between big ego band members is what makes great albums and puts an extra fire behind the songs :devil2:

Back