Maiden Albums: Head to Head

Vote for your favourite song from each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because Broose/Adrian era Bias

What does this even mean?

I like steak and potatoes and beer better than lamb and rice and wine, even though I am perfectly happy eating the latter.
If I tell the waiter I want the steak, does that mean I'm biased?

Bias implies some hidden or unfair prejudice.
I like the debut. I like Piece of Mind more.
It's not because H is cooler than Dennis Stratton, it's because it is a collection of songs that is more pleasant to my ears.

What is biased about honestly answering a question about what I prefer?

Steak, potatoes, rice, wine. It's all available, to most of us, at least. And when you ask a group of people, there's probably not such a difference in love for these products as seen in these votings. It depends where you ask though. Perhaps Americans rather eat potatoes than Chinese.

There's taste and there are factors influencing taste and preference/favouritism.

E.g. the mere-exposure effect is a psychological phenomenon by which people tend to develop a preference for things merely because they are familiar with them. In social psychology, this effect is sometimes called the familiarity principle. I guess people can show affective bias towards repeatedly exposed stimuli.

Lots of people out here are familiar with relatively recently released or played live concerts, CD's and DVD's featuring
The Trooper, Revelations, Flight of Icarus, Still Life, Where Eagles Dare and Die With Your Boots On. They've seen (or heard) current band members playing these songs with great fun. In contrast: the best songs from the debut (bar Phantom!) -Prowler, Remember Tomorrow, Transylvania, Charlotte and Strange World- got way less exposure.

I remember a time when Rime was not held as high in regard as now. Around 2003-2007 it was all about Hallowed, Phantom and Paschendale. Boy, did that change when Rime returned in the set in 2008, for the first time in over twenty years! "Suddenly" more people appreciated that song!

Last edited:
Perhaps Americans rather eat potatoes than Chinese.
I don’t. Never liked potatoes outside of the odd one that’s decent.

As for the live thing, that doesn’t apply to me either. I’ve primarily listened to the studio albums and based my thoughts on the songs through those. I don’t care who’s playing on it so long as it’s good.

Steak, potatoes, rice, wine. It's all available, to most of us, at least. And when you ask a group of people, there's probably not such a difference in love for these products as seen in these votings. It depends where you ask though. Perhaps Americans rather eat potatoes than Chinese.

There's taste and there are factors influencing taste and preference/favouritism.

E.g. the mere-exposure effect is a psychological phenomenon by which people tend to develop a preference for things merely because they are familiar with them. In social psychology, this effect is sometimes called the familiarity principle. I guess people can show affective bias towards repeatedly exposed stimuli.

Lots of people out here are familiar with relatively recently released or played live concerts, CD's and DVD's featuring
The Trooper, Revelations, Flight of Icarus, Still Life, Where Eagles Dare and Die With Your Boots On. They've seen (or heard) current band members playing these songs with great fun. In contrast: the best songs from the debut (bar Phantom!) -Prowler, Remember Tomorrow, Transylvania, Charlotte and Strange World- got way less exposure.

I remember a time when Rime was not held as high in regard as now. Around 2003-2007 it was all about Hallowed, Phantom and Paschendale. Boy, did that change when Rime returned in the set in 2008, for the first time in over twenty years! "Suddenly" more people appreciated that song!
What I think is that you're overcomplicating things. You're reading far too much into this, man.

Last edited:
I don’t. Never liked potatoes outside of the odd one that’s decent.
But most Americans do. It's the total of a group I'm focusing on. A big majority weighing in the result.
As for the live thing, that doesn’t apply to me either. I’ve primarily listened to the studio albums and based my thoughts on the songs through those. I don’t care who’s playing on it so long as it’s good.
Primarily, but not entirely. By the way, order of discovery can also matter. And amount of exposure.

There's taste and there are factors influencing taste and preference/favouritism

We are comparing the "sum total" of the taste, not the base taste. Who cares why I love a song? I just love it! Take a song you love and then take that same song but now with lyrics you hate (assume the vocal melodies are somehow the same as well). It's still the same rhythm/melody/harmony, it's the exact same song! How come you no doubt prefer the version with the lyrics you like?

The brain is very complex and doesn't see things in black and white so we don't compare the core of a song to another. We do that, in the poll, after adding things like context, which brings things like emotion to the table.

If a stranger sees a picture of, say, your parents, I seriously doubt he will feel the same way you do about it. And in the same way if someone hears Rime live and has a great memory of it then I'm sorry but he just likes Rime more now, doesn't matter that the live show influenced that fact... We can't return to day one we heard these songs, stripped of all the memories and biases we gained for them and choose which one we prefer from there, and we shouldn't because we are comparing now.

As long as it's honest it's fine, and I seriously doubt anyone here picked the song they don't like better...

Prowler vs Where Eagles Dare
Remember Tomorrow vs Revelations
Running Free vs Flight of Icarus
Phantom of the Opera vs Die With Your Boots On
Burning Ambition vs Cross Eyed Mary
Transylvania vs The Trooper
Strange World vs Still Life
Sanctuary vs Quest for Fire
Charlotte the Harlot vs Sun and Steel
Women in Uniform vs I Got the Fire
Iron Maiden vs To Tame A Land

6-5 Iron Maiden. I've been really enjoying the debut a whole lot lately, and the title track has been really shining lately for me.

But most Americans do. It's the total of a group I'm focusing on. A big majority weighing in the result.

Primarily, but not entirely. By the way, order of discovery can also matter. And amount of exposure.

And sometimes a potato is just a potato.

Prowler vs Where Eagles Dare
Remember Tomorrow vs Revelations
Running Free vs Flight of Icarus
Phantom of the Opera
vs Die With Your Boots On
Burning Ambition vs Cross-Eyed Mary
Transylvania vs The Trooper
Strange World vs Still Life
Sanctuary vs Quest for Fire
Charlotte the Harlot
vs Sun and Steel
Women in Uniform vs I've Got the Fire
Iron Maiden vs To Tame a Land

8-3 for PoM.

I know I bash the debut a bit on these forums, and I must admit I do rank it as one of Maiden's lesser efforts overall, but I still enjoy the album. The production really is the worst offender, but most of the songs themselves are quite strong - they just got some unlucky match-ups in this case.
For example, I've always liked Running Free a lot, but here it comes up against Flight of Icarus, a top 20 song in my opinion. And on the other hand, a song like Still Life that gets a lot of praise from most people, but never really did anything for me, happens to be matched versus Strange World, which is one of only two truly mediocre songs on the debut IMO.
I really like Sanctuary too, and I think I prefer Paul over Bruce on it, but Quest for Fire is an underrated gem in Maiden's discography (how ONE line of silly lyrics can ruin an entire song for some people is simply beyond me, when the rest of it is top notch).
Unlucky, but I do think the right album won no matter what.

@Black Wizard no, I am not. That was not my point. No one is immune, but I had a different route (order), different exposure than most, if not eveybody else here. Not a superior route, but surely a very fine one. I feel lucky that it must have played a role in having a more than average love for non-Bruce and early nineties era Maiden.

Last edited:
Back