Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)

How good is Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Losfer Words' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'losfer Words (big 'orra)'

This is the worst song on Powerslave but that doesn't mean it's a bad song. It doesn't have the same feeling as Maiden's other instrumental songs, but other than that it's rather hard to explain why I don't like it particularily much. I just could never get into it as much as the rest of the album. 3 stars.

IMHO it's kind of a filler track on the album. It's not bad actually, but they have written better instrumentals (just take a look at the Killers album). A fairly average song.

With the possible exception of "Genghis Khan", this is my favorite Maiden instrumental. Perhaps it's simply nostalgia, as this is the first of Maiden's instrumentals that I ever heard. But I think this one stands up well against the others.

Sorry, I can't report what I voted. I placed my vote long before writing this post, and don't recall what it was.

This seems like a good place to say bit about the history of musical form/structure, and how it has affected Iron Maiden's songs (especially those written by Steve Harris).

Going back to the Classical era of music (1750-1825, best represented by Mozart and Beethoven), several general structures developed on which compositions could be based. The most prominent of these structures is called sonata form; it is also known as sonata-allegro form or first-movement form. It was almost universally used as the form for first movements in multi-movement pieces such as sonatas or symphonies.

Sonata form is essentially ternary; that is, it has three parts in an A-B-A structure.

The first part A is called the exposition. Here, the composer first sets out the themes he will use for the rest of the piece. There are usually 2 themes, and they are usually in different keys. The exposition is frequently repeated before moving on.

Part B is called the development. Here, the composer takes his themes and varies them. He tears them apart and reassembles the pieces into new melodies. He changes the rhythm, the harmonies, and generally anything else that can be changed. In other words, this is where the composer gets to show off his compositional skill.

The second part A is called the recapitulation. It is essentially the same as the exposition, except that the themes - which were originally played in different keys - are now played in one single key.

Many sonata form pieces contain an Introduction at the beginning and/or a Coda at the end.

Now, how does all of that relate to Iron Maiden and specifically Losfer Words?

The first 1:17 of the song is the exposition. Two distinct themes are presented: the introductory guitar riff (with a contrasting section) followed by the more graceful melody played in harmony by the guitars.

Starting at 1:17, we reach the development. Rather than developing the themes already presents, Steve presents a new one. This is varied by adding guitar solos, and by introducing other new melodies. Just as the composer got to show off here in the classical era, this is the chance for the guitarists to show off.

At 3:20 we reach the recapitulation. The themes from the exposition are played again, although this repitition is somewhat abbreviated. There's also a very brief coda to end the song.

When considering if an Iron Maiden song is an adaptation of sonata form, the key element to consider is whether or not the exposition has multiple themes, all of which are repeated in the recapitulation. For example, "The Trooper" is NOT sonata form because the 'exposition' just has a single theme (the intro riff).

On the other hand, many of Steve's longer songs are sonata forms. Perhaps the most obvious example is "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" in which two different verse styles (with a melodic transition) make up the exposition and recapitulation. In "Rime", the development starts at "There, calls the Mariner, there comes a ship...".

Please study this material carefully, as I reserve the right to drop a pop quiz on ya. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Interesting analysis, and by all means, I take it. The message to me is, Steve Harris has not only feeling and insight but also a logical mind, to be able to create pieces with such tight structure. (I wouldn't mind seeing such analysis on Phantom Of The Opera, if relevant [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

Four stars from me. The composition may be somewhat lacking in depth, giving an impression of a "formal" trinket. But, speaking in the terminology SMX used, I find the development part ingenious. The repetitive bit with great tension and Adrian's solo in particular are really enjoyable. A cool piece of music.

I have to admit I was a taken aback by folks not liking this one. When Powerslave came out we were just blown away by this song. (I can remember during lunch one day in high school, not too long after it came out, about five or six of us playing it on acoustic guitars nicked from the music room, killer). I think the guys prolly liked it a little at least, I remember they played it at Radio City Music Hall the night I saw them on the Powerslave tour (I just about split in half when they started). De gustibus non disputatum est, eh?

For some reason this piece always brings thoughts of flying to mind, or traveling. It's hard to explain. Big soaring parts mixed with the jumble and tumble. I tend to repeat this one about five times before I move on to Flash. I makes my brain happy.

I always had the impression that Steve couldn't think of anything to go with the music, hence the title, but since it stood well on it's own, so big whoop, Big 'Orra, so what.

Re: 'losfer Words (big 'orra)'

This is one of the worst Maiden songs imo. This is like a long and mediocre instrumental part of a great song, but without the great song, if you know what i mean :p
A bad filler from the album Fill... i mean Powerslave  :innocent:

I love that song, i just go mad and start to play "air bass" when i lsten to it.

Up damn irons¡¡¡

This is by far my favorite instrumental by Maiden.  I'm not a musician so I can't speak to the technical quality of it, but the feel of it is amazing, and I love how it moves and shifts over time.  It's watery fluid.

chaosapiant said:
This is by far my favorite instrumental by Maiden.  I'm not a musician so I can't speak to the technical quality of it, but the feel of it is amazing, and I love how it moves and shifts over time.  It's watery fluid.
Agreed.

Daily Song: Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

My thoughts: It's a decent instrumental, but lacks the great power and strength of Transylvania and Genghis Khan. I don't think it's bad, but I've rarely gone out of my way to listen to it. 6/10.

Re: Daily Song: Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)

Nothing special about this one. I like all the other 3 more than this one. A decent tune with great melody.

4/10.

9. Insane instrumental song with a different flavour to it. The guitar harmonies interval makes a nice counterpoint and makes you breath a bit, but only to come with full force again with those Adrian and Steve's pull offs. The solo is manic, wonderfully framed and the key changes are perfect. Bruce said that after they heard all the parts assembled, they wanted to send Steve to the funny farm. Amazing song!!!

A strong 6, almost 7.  Great bass, but it does not compare to the album in general.

Weaker song on the album.Weaker instrumental by Maiden.
It doesn't sound like a real instrumental, it's like they didn't write lyrics and it gets boring quickly.
Wanted to give it a 6 but none Maiden song deserves that. 7.

Murder89 said:
Wanted to give it a 6 but none Maiden song deserves that. 7.

See if this quote holds up in a few months when we get to the 90s.

This is maybe not as exiting as Transylvania, but still a nice instrumental interlude between 2MtoM and FotB. It has a great feel to it, and is great fun to play along to. 7/10.

It's nice and catchy, but nothing special. 6/10.

I gave it a 5, it has got some nice moments, but as stated above, it feels like just a normal song without lyrics, not a real instrumental. Compared to other Maiden songs, just a 5.

Back