Lord of the Flies

How good is Lord of the Flies on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Lord of the Flies

Not much could provide a good follow up to SotC but LotF manages it. I get a massively tropical vibe from the intro riff which fits the book and like LC said, the lyrics are great having analysed the book. Another great chorus and Janick's solo is fantastic. The "woah" part is fun and the last chorus again is great. 9/10 but only marginally not a 10.

It's a straightforward rocker, but a damn good one.  It works live (with Blaze, not Maiden) a lot better than on The X Factor, the chorus always gets the crowd singing harder than for most Blaze songs.  On the record, it's not as exciting, though, so it gets an 8.

Very nice stimulating track. There's a certain atmosphere, giving me the feeling that something unavoidable will happen. I have always liked that slower paced mid-section, with Janick crying his solo over Nicko's groovy patterns (nice contrast). The build-up is simple but effective and Blaze's voice sounds determined.

The intro was played so bad, live, that (even though I prefer Bruce's performance) I prefer the studio version.

A good rocking tune.  I'd give it a 7/10 as it straddles the line between good and awesome.  

I remember seeing Maiden on The X Factour at a tiny club (500 capacity) in Baltimore in 1996 and during the solo section Blaze pointed right at me and said "you there in the glasses, COME ON!".  Now I'm sure that's a part of his normal stage banter, but at the time it was basically the coolest thing ever.  My favorite band noticing me from the stage.  So I always, always think of that every time I hear this song.

That is a very nice memory, thanks for sharing!

Cool. There are advantages of Maiden doing not that well. Only 500 people!  :yey:

A very solid number...half of a great one-two opening to the album with SOTC. Lacking some real distortion/reverb/fuzz etc but that's the sound of TXF.

10. When this intro came from speakers that Saturday, I was mesmerized. It's one of Maiden's best riffs, it has an Uriah Heep vibe, a Hammond like vibe to it, the lyrics I had read 2 months before I bought the album as Dave and Blaze had came to make the press release of the album around the world, and they brought to Brasil, too, three lyrics of the new Maiden - Sign Of The Cross, Lord Of The Flies and The Edge Of Darkness - and I had read them on Rock Brigade magazine, from September 1995, and already had those lyrics in my subconscient since then; the chorus is superb, strong, powerful and anthologic, Jan's solo is simple and perfect, certainly one of my faves; the 'oh, oh, oh oh..." choir before getting back to the chorus is hair raising. A classic!!! Loved it on DOD tour, and fortunately, saw this anthem live, on January 17th, 2004, at Pacaemb Stadium, in São Paulo!!! :edmetal:

6 out of 10... Not much appealing for me here except the solos.

Forostar said:
There's a certain atmosphere, giving me the feeling that something unavoidable will happen.

This, absolutely. I am forever amazed by cinematic qualities of Maiden's music. I guess it's not exactly cinematic, as it's a feeling more than a picture, but I am talking about the way it works like a film score. I've always wondered how Steve's gift works. Does he read or watch something and then come up with music that so perfectly matches the mood of the book or film? Or does he come up with something that evokes a certain mood and cast around in his experience to find a story that matches? Either way, the man is a genius.

Agreed. (But don't forget that this was a collaboration with Janick).

I wonder how many people thought they were playing gates of tomorow live when janick started playing that riff

like many have said this song is good but not brilliant

7/10

Babo 91 said:
I wonder how many people thought they were playing gates of tomorow live when janick started playing that riff

For one second, maybe. The difference becomes apparent quite quickly. But there's no doubt the beginning of  Gates of Tomorrow is heavily inspired by the beginning of this one.

7. It rocks, but not that hard. A nice song overall.

It would be great live if Janick had enough concentration to pull off that intro. Perhaps passing it to Adrian would be better option when played live.

I agree about that distorted guitar - great riffs and a well sung tune. 7/10.

I used to think of this one as mediocre at best, but after revisiting I found I like it a lot. The energy there is fantastic. 8/10

After an interesting, cool intro the main riff starts. I like the main riff a lot, it has an amazing atmosphere. The song gives me the feeling of coming of an unexpected thing. Blaze's performance is really great. I prefer Bruce's vocals for this song though. The solo is really Adrian Smithish, a lot of bends and great screams of the guitar. A very good song. 8/10.

One of the best songs from Blaze era. Musically, I like this version the most, but I like Bruce's vocals more. Blaze is good on the verses, but boring on the chorus. Because of this flaws, it gets an 8/10.

Back