Lord of the Flies

How good is Lord of the Flies on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: 'Lord Of The Flies'

I think it's an extremely worthwhile book to own, and I don't think you'll find an original edition anywhere.  Most editions are fine, I've never heard of one being bad/better.

Re: 'Lord Of The Flies'

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 60 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Yes, I'm sure.

I've recently really begun digging Lord of the Flies,
ever since seeing it live with Blaze.
  Somehow, the lyrics and music blend together to create an amazing atmosphere, and there are few Maiden (or any) songs where the lyrics and the music are so well combined to create the general mood of the song.  I've said before that I prefer Bruce's version, but now I prefer the original Blaze version.  I also recently read the book (for my English course) and on an abstract level the lyrics fit the book perfectly.  Lord of the Flies is definitely one of the most atmospheric Maiden rockers.

Daily Song: Lord of the Flies

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Lord of the Flies

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.
This song really does get me going. I get ramped up when I heard it, and the lyrics are pretty topical. In our in-class essay on the book Lord of the Flies, both the Duke and I quoted this song in our introduction. While our teacher was far too old to be a metalhead, he found it interesting that bands would use a famous dystopian book that's a treatise of Hobbesian thought as the basis for a single.

Depending on the day, this is either an 8/10 or a 9/10. I'm wavering between the two right now, so I will go with a 9.

Re: Daily Song: Lord of the Flies

A great song! Good riffs and a great chorus. 8/10.

7/10. It's a great song, but there's just something about it. I honestly can't explain it.
I probably should have given it an 8. I also don't really like Lord of the Flies.

I like the distorted guitar intro and the chorus. The verses don’t quite kick all the way into gear. I think this one is hurt by X Factor’s colder production style. Something rawer would have better suited the lyrics. It sounds better live and is one of the few Blaze tracks that is performed better by Bruce. Still, a textbook example of Maiden’s greatness, in that a song this good ranks, at best, in the middle of the catalogue. A good solid song — a definitive seven.

7/10 Good song, very good song - but not brilliant.

Good song, with decent riff & vocals, BUT, as Albie said - not brilliant.

Another 7/10.

Very good song, this is one where I prefer Blaze over Bruce on vocals.  My only real problem with it is the lyrics, the "I like the way" part bugs me for some reason, it makes the song feel like an 8th grade book report.

I give it a 7.

Yes! I really like this song. Not in the same class of Sign of the Cross of course but it's an amazing song.

Janick's Solo is extraordinary.

The "Death on the Road" version on the other hand, is really bad. Bruce sounds like he didn't even like to sing it.

9/10 for the studio version. (1/10 for the Death on the Road version)

Quite possibly my favourite Blaze-era song (at least next to Virus and The Educated Fool). 10/10.

Mega said:
7/10. It's a great song, but there's just something about it. I honestly can't explain it.
I probably should have given it an 8. I also don't really like Lord of the Flies.

Is that you, thousand_suns?

As for my own opinion on the song: It is a really good song. The driving rhythm, both in verses and chorus, has a quite different feel from earlier songs in the same vein. It also continues the same dark atmosphere as in Sign of the Cross, and thus it fits well as a #2 on the record.

8/10.

@Mega: I think you did that on purpose.  :bigsmile:

Oh, and don't worry, your English is fine... ;)

Not brilliant, but is still a very good song. Contains great riffs and a good chorus. 8/10

Back