Lord of Light

How good is Lord of Light on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'Lord Of Light'

Raven said:
The main riff is actually by Adrian.

Talking about H, how does he do those very high notes at the end of his solo? Does he play pinch harmonics while pressing the whammy bar all the way at the same time?

The main riff is actually by Adrian.

Really?  The one that begins at 1:39?  It comes from the right headphone so I always thought it was Janick...  But I checked a Youtube video and it indeed is Adrian.  Why is it on the right on the studio version, I wonder...

Oh, and I notice Albie was hinting at the truth:
Let the mods deal with thousand_suns Invader. He's playing us all and stirring up trouble

Invader said:
Oh, and I notice Albie was hinting at the truth:
Albie said:
Let the mods deal with thousand_suns Invader. He's playing us all and stirring up trouble.

Albie was not in on the joke at the time he posted that.
But we thought he was trying to calm things down, while the mods were trying to stir shit up.
So after Albie posted the above, we let him in on the joke, so he wouldn't spoil things by playing peacemaker.

Unfortunately, the whole thing was really reaching the end of it's life at that point.  Too bad.  I had some ideas to twist the thumbscrews a little more.

LooseCannon said:
Unfortunately, the whole thing was really reaching the end of it's life at that point.
That was a shame as I did think about having some sort of reply to this:

thousand_suns said:
Albie!  I do not understand you saying such things.......etc.

But I was not sure how I would have played it. And by the time I got my lunch hour that day, all was revealed anyway. :D

Talking about H, how does he do those very high notes at the end of his solo? Does he play pinch harmonics while pressing the whammy bar all the way at the same time?

Whams the string with the plectrum edge, not hard, extreme bending + tremolo at the same time. Really difficult stuff if you want to compose stuff. Using it to "random effects" is not that hard.

Great track, my favorite from this album. Very, very underated. That intro riff is unbelievable.

Daily Song: Lord of Light

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Lord of Light

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Re: Daily Song: Lord of Light

9/10! I much prefer this to Starblind (besides Starblinds fantastic lyrics). Great riffage, good intro, and a great chorus!

I love this song. It has a great spooky opening, and then it morphs into one of my favorite Maiden riffs... H RULES! Bruce sounds incredibly powerful when the verses come. Chorus is fantastic. This is my favorite AMOL&D song. 10/10!

One of the better tracks on a great album.  Great into, great vocals, and some crunching riffs.  There is nothing I dislike about the song, and easy 10.

I like the intro, quite reminiscent of Starblind, in fact this song is like a first draft of that one. It’s just not nearly as captivating. The slow parts are intriguing but the faster parts are shrill and noisy except for what kicks in just before the six-minute mark. A nice try at something new, but a miss nonetheless. Six.

'Lord Of Light' , to me, is one of the weaker songs from the album. While the intro, the verses and the chorus are really good, there's unhappily a part that drags the song down (4:54-6:32). Thus, I rate it as 7/10 only. Also I appreciate that the song is better when played live.

Just like in Brighter than a Thousand Suns, this time again Maiden didn't stick to a safe formula. Instead they tried something else, and it worked. They created a complex and dark work, which did fantastic in concert, and sounds brilliant as a studio version as well.

Together with Starblind, Lord of Light belongs for me to the best two songs of the last two albums. This one has the kind of atmosphere in those calm parts which I don't recognize in any other Maiden song. If I would compare with other bands, then I'd think of elements of Bruce's Tyranny of Souls and I Will Not Accept the Truth, Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer and the Burnt Offerings album by Iced Earth. But Maiden makes it extra special because of Bruce's delivery and the support of his bandmates.

There's such awesome riffing but the best part of this album has to be the calm part after the first chorus. In concert I remember this was a particular cool moment when Adrian and Steve picked up the song, just like Dave and Steve do this in the middle of Sign of the Cross.

Nicko is cool too. He grooves well in the Sabbathish chorus, and his snare rolls at the end of Adrian's high solo tones rule. Another great moment, which I enjoy the best with headphones is the stuff going on underneath and right after Dave's solo: The manic and harmonic rhythm guitars, the doomy synth, accompanied by Nicko's determined drumming, draw us into a sinister wasteland.

8/10. Yeap, it's a dark subject matter befitting the song so well. It's a good song - the intro being the better part of it.

I love this song! The intro the heavy riffing and an amazing solo make for a great epic. 10/10

Back