London 2012 Olympics

Tokyo, Madrid and Istanbul are in the running for 2020. Istanbul has failed every time it has bid, Spain has no money so 2020 will go to Japan.

Are we being serious about having Metal bands playing at opening/closing ceremonies of Olympic Games by the way? Let's be honest here, the people who make these events don't like Metal. It's not cool to like Metal anymore and it would stick out like a sore thumb. The one argument I can think of for having Metal is that it lends a sense of theatre that Tinie Tempah and One Direction don't have. Otherwise it doesn't fit.

I'm being as serious about a metal festival for an olympic ceremony as i am about Boris Johnson being The leader of my country :p It would be incredibly entertaining but ultimately it wouldn't serve its function and would be misunderstood on mass. Of course where there is an oppertunity wher it would lend itself such as the industrial revolution stage in Londons opening ceremony then bring it on

There's more chance of Boris being Prime Minister than there is of Metal being accepted by the general public again.

Oh, and I turned on the TV this morning and there was no Olympics.:down: What the hell am I supposed to do for the next month?

Ray Davies sang "Waterloo Sunset". I'm happy.

I thought the closing ceremony as a whole was great. The performances that may not have been all that great musically were at least impressively staged, and the show is what really matters with stuff like this. Take That was the only thing that bored me.

I dunno, the closing ceremony was disappointing for me. I watched the entire thing in the hopes it'd get better but I almost turned it off when the Spice Girls came on. Gawd. But Monty Python and Queen were ok. But come on, couldn't they find a better singer for Wish You Were Here? And I'm actually really surprised they didn't get Adele or Coldplay to contribute.

Also, if the games were ever held in Sweden the musical bit would be a total snoozefest. They wouldn't have the imagination to play anything other than ABBA on repeat.

Also, if the games were ever held in Sweden the musical bit would be a total snoozefest. They wouldn't have the imagination to play anything other than ABBA on repeat.

It (Sweden) would work if the dream of the metalympics (+ABBA) came to pass -_- Kerrang or someone should run a metal world version of the eurovision song contest :D Britain certainly wouldn't get nil-pwa with Maiden.
Back on topic it's already been discussed why the Spice Girls were the best act of the night, Adele would have been a good addition but i tend to have a natural dislike to Coldplay as i do to Oasis... oh err Beady Eye/High Flying Birds :huh:

Was I the only one who found the Brazilians underwhelming? I thought their number got far too messy after a while. A bit like a carnival, I suppose, but that doesn't work very well in a setting like this.

The closing ceremony sounded like it was a success but i have not found anything the who. I have not even seen a review in print. How was it? I missed the closing ceremonies. =(

Tokyo, Madrid and Istanbul are in the running for 2020. Istanbul has failed every time it has bid, Spain has no money so 2020 will go to Japan.

The reason why Istanbul has failed is the problems with the substructure of the city. Transportation is a huge problem (probably one of the worst traffics in the world), so is accommodation because of the lack of enough hotels and also the ways to get to the existing ones. The chances are still high though. Madrid has no money, Tokyo is not really sure that they actually want to host the Olympics but at the same time Istanbul wants it in a heartbeat. Olympics took place in Eurasia only in Russia (last time in 1980) and never did in western part of Asia. but it hasn't been a long time since Spain took the event (92 Barcelona) and an Asian country did. (08 Beijing) Also, Japan is going to host the 2019

Istanbul has the biggest chance, but I'm entirely sure that our government can't deal with the substructure problems (because they are a failure in every aspect) and because Japan has no such problems like this, I also think they'll get the Olympics in 2020.

And I actually DON'T want us to get the Olympics because the government would talk like as if it's their acclompishment which really is not.

The closing ceremony sounded like it was a success but i have not found anything the who. I have not even seen a review in print. How was it? I missed the closing ceremonies. =(

There was Sir Winton with the Aces High moment, Annie Lennox with Rime of the Ancient Mariner moment, the face of Lennon with ballons with the Infinite Dreams moment, Mercury live from 1986 with the famous ué-oú-la-ri-lé moment a.k.a. the running free moment, a poddle named May with the Losfer words moment, there was the Spice Girls with the Bring your daughter to the slaughter moment, Pink Floyd with the age of innocence moment, Take That with the Educated fool moment, George Michael with the Prowler moment, Pet Shop Boys with the Brighter than a thousand suns moment, Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss with the Die with your boots on moment, one Gallagher with a wasting love moment, a Pyton "i'm-doing-this-so-you-can-believe-Maiden-was-here" moment, Stomp with a Hooks in you moment, The Who with a Children of the Damned moment, Kaiser Chiefs with a Strange World moment, and Pele with an Alexander the Great moment, ah, and also Batman and Robin with a the unbeliever moment :D

I have to say I really enjoyed the Olympics this year, I probably watched more than 4 years ago. My main complaint of the coverage involved the tape delays. It is hard to miss who won an event before actually watching it. It will be much better in 4 years for those of us in North/South America as we will be in the same time zone.

Looking forward to the Winter Games, one of the better decisions the Olympics made was moving Winter and Summer to different years, both games in one year was a bit much as was the 4 year wait.

My main complaint of the coverage involved the tape delays. It is hard to miss who won an event before actually watching it. It will be much better in 4 years for those of us in North/South America as we will be in the same time zone.
I prefer watching live sport to delayed transmissions anyday, even if it means getting up at silly times to watch Formula 1. Was there no live broadcast anywhere in North America of the Olympics?

The bigger events (swimming, gymnastics, track, etc) were shown during prime time on NBC tape delayed. About the only thing NBC showed live were less popular events on the weekend. The sports relegated to the cable channels would be shown live during the day.

For example, the Phelps races were obviously of great interest, all of them were only shown on TV on tape delay. There was an option to still stream these events live via the internet, but for TV covereage, they were all in prime time and tape delayed.

There were some options to watch events live, but all the big draws were only televised on tape delay.

I'm one of the few I feel who didn't mind the tape delay. 1. i got to watch more stuff. Fencing during the day for example and then swimming and gymnastics in the evening and 2. good tv in the evenings.

There were some options to watch events live, but all the big draws were only televised on tape delay.
I find that quite odd because I'd have thought that most sports fans would have wanted to watch them live. The BBC has done a good job with their coverage because everything was available on TV if you had the right type of telly or online of you didn't, and now every session of every sport is available online until January (which might lead to a few watches of Super Saturday). There was also extensive radio coverage for those who had no access to television or internet at the time. Some of the BBC's presenters and interviewers, however, weren't quite as extensive in their coverage...

I understand why NBC would want the big events in prime time and it looks like they got excellent ratings doing it that way, but it does take away quite a bit of the fun of watching an event when you already know who the winner is. It is pretty hard (if you view any news or sports sites) to avoid seeing who won.

This should not be an issue next time around since the games are in Rio, so they can be shown live and still be in prime time for NBC.

It is great to see the US rallied back and won the overall medal count by a pretty substantial margin over China. Also a bonus for US taxpayers that zero governmnet money goes towards the Olympic team. It is fully funded by the USOC, a non profit organization

Back