Live After Death album what was played where ?

I'm a bit suspicious about Wrathchild, so called from Hammersmith. I do not know about the first night (no bootleg info) but all other nights do not have Wrathchild in the setlist. As crazy as it sounds, Wrathchild was a rare track in the World Slavery Tour. As far as I'm aware it was only played at 2 (other) UK gigs (Sheffield & Ipswich; around 3 weeks before Hammersmith Odeon) and in Japan.

Does anyone have the Ipswich and/or Sheffield and/or (one of) the Japan bootlegs? Perhaps the LAD version comes from one of these gigs?

And who knows from which night the other side 4 tracks are coming from?

Song plus Hammersmith 1984 bootleg info:
Wratchchild: none
22 Acacia Avenue: 2nd, 3rd and 4th night
Children of the Damned: 2nd and 3rd night
Die With Your Boots On: 3rd night
Phantom of the Opera: 2nd and 4th night

Last edited:
I have Ipswich and Sheffield, I'll check at some stage this evening, the discs are in storage and I'm about to watch a match so may be an hour or two.

It's not on Ipswich, they played Murders in the Rue Morgue instead.

Sheffield's version is different from the album version going by Bruce's phrasing in parts of the first verse and on one of the versions he says "well I'm a" and the other version he says "lord I'm a" on the first time it gets to the chorus.

Listen to the backing vocals on Wrathchild ;)

If there were extensive overdubs you would perhaps think that the guitar solo over the intro, which is missing from the LAD version but present on all the other live versions and the Killers album, would have been restored??

I'm pretty sure I read an interview with Steve where he confirmed that the album is made up of only one performance, while the video features a mix of other 2 (I think this was stated in Mick Wall's Run to the Hills book). That being said, it would have to be the March 17 (Sunday) one for the album, since you can hear Bruce say "4th night, Long Beach" on the original extended version of "Running Free". As for the video, we know for a fact that "The Trooper" and "The Number of the Beast" are from the Saturday night concert (March 16), this is confirmed on the 12 Wasted Years documentary. But right after finishing "2 Minutes To Midnight", Bruce goes "well, this is night #2 at Long Beach Arena, how are you doing Long Beach?!", which means the other recorded concert is the March 15 (Friday) one.

Edit: as for the bonus tracks, I don't know the exact dates, but at least we're sure it was recorded during the Hammersmith shows. What I really don't know is where the hell "Wrathchild" came from, since there's absolutely no other trustable information about it having been played on any of the Hammersmith dates.

I'm pretty sure I read an interview with Steve where he confirmed that the album is made up of only one performance, while the video features a mix of other 2 (I think this was stated in Mick Wall's Run to the Hills book). That being said, it would have to be the March 17 (Sunday) one for the album, since you can hear Bruce say "4th night, Long Beach" on the original extended version of "Running Free". As for the video, we know for a fact that "The Trooper" and "The Number of the Beast" are from the Saturday night concert (March 16), this is confirmed on the 12 Wasted Years documentary. But right after finishing "2 Minutes To Midnight", Bruce goes "well, this is night #2 at Long Beach Arena, how are you doing Long Beach?!", which means the other recorded concert is the March 15 (Friday) one.

Edit: as for the bonus tracks, I don't know the exact dates, but at least we're sure it was recorded during the Hammersmith shows. What I really don't know is where the hell "Wrathchild" came from, since there's absolutely no other trustable information about it having been played on any of the Hammersmith dates.

Thank you! I wasn't completely off course then :)

Thanks for checking @srfc
It's not on Ipswich, they played Murders in the Rue Morgue instead.
Are you saying this info is not correct? Go here and search for Ipswich:
http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/?url=tour05_powerslave/bootlegs05_powerslave&lang=eng&link=tours

What I really don't know is where the hell "Wrathchild" came from, since there's absolutely no other trustable information about it having been played on any of the Hammersmith dates.
Yeah, that's what I said (see my post at top of this page).

since you can hear Bruce say "4th night, Long Beach" on the original extended version of "Running Free".

I wouldn't be too confident that this proves the rest of the audio comes from the same gig. This may well have been edited because it sounds so good to have Bruce tell the world they sold out four consecutive gigs at Long Beach.

Frankly, the only way you can determine for sure where each recording comes from is to hold them against bootleg recordings from those nights.

If there were extensive overdubs you would perhaps think that the guitar solo over the intro, which is missing from the LAD version but present on all the other live versions and the Killers album, would have been restored??
Adrian stopped playing the intro solo from the World Piece tour onwards and it stayed that way until Janick replaced him, so no, not really. It's not on any of the live recordings other than Beast Over Hammersmith.

I wouldn't be too confident that this proves the rest of the audio comes from the same gig.
I never said it did. :D

I'm going by what Steve confirmed on the Run to the Hills biography, since it's the only official statement about the recorded dates. Sure, we can assume many other things, but I can only affirm something going by the official statement.

I never said it did. :D

I'm going by what Steve confirmed on the Run to the Hills biography, since it's the only official statement about the recorded dates. Sure, we can assume many other things, but I can only affirm something going by the official statement.

I would take what Steve says with a pinch of salt, as he still claims that there are no overdubs on Live After Death. :D

As a matter of fact, I myself honestly don't think there are. ;)

Do you also believe that the live version of Remember tomorrow on the B side of the Run to the Hills single was recorded live in Italy? ;)

Bruce has already said they had to overdub some things on Live after Death. The fact that he explicitly mentioned his vocals makes it quite probably true...

That being said, I believe the album is mostly live and not as doctored as Judas Priest's Unleashed in the Eastudio or Thin Lizzy's Studio and Dangerous though.

Last edited:
Do you also believe that the live version of Remember tomorrow on the B side of the Run to the Hills single was recorded live in Italy? ;)
Oh come on now, of course not, that one is too obvious. :D

But, in all seriousness, despite Bruce's claims, I honestly find no appealing reason to believe Live After Death actually was overdubbed. It just doesn't seem real.

Oh come on now, of course not, that one is too obvious. :D

But, in all seriousness, despite Bruce's claims, I honestly find no appealing reason to believe Live After Death actually was overdubbed. It just doesn't seem real.

There are overdubs; not many, but there are in spite of Steve's little white lies. You just have to compare the video and the LP. ;)

But the video and the LP are from different nights, so it's not quite fair to compare them.

You can also clearly hear how Bruce's voice goes from rough to not so rough during the same song on the LP (The Trooper and Hallowed be Thy Name come to mind). Why would he say that he needed to overdub some things if it weren't true?

Back