Live After Death album what was played where ?

maidenpriest

Trooper
Hello, I am going nuts trying to work out on what date the 'Live After Death' album was recorded out of the 4 nights at Long Beach, does anyone have any info whether it was the 14th, 15th 16th or 17th of March 1985 ?? :(

my gut instinct is that all the lp/cd is from the 4th night and all the audio on the video is from the saturday night whatever that night was, going by what Bruce says during Running Free. I have no info to back this up, I just have a feeling the just probably weren't arsed going through it with a fine tooth comb and picking different tracks from different nights.

i don't think there were any and least that is what is claimed because they were on The Road when it was being mixed etc !!
There are, Bruce confirmed it down the line. Aces High for example had its entire vocal take replaced for the album version, the original audio is on the video version and it's markedly worse. Adrian re-recorded most if not all his backing vocals in the studio and apparently had to redo some songs because of tuning issues on his guitar in the original recording.

Hello, I am going nuts trying to work out on what date the 'Live After Death' album was recorded out of the 4 nights at Long Beach, does anyone have any info whether it was the 14th, 15th 16th or 17th of March 1985 ?? :(

From an interview with Bruce Dickinson:

BD: That record was assembled from three nights at Long Beach, with different tracks being selected from different nights. It also was messed around with a bit. Some of the backing tracks were fine, but Adrian's guitar was way out of tune on one or two songs, so we went into a studio here in LA and did some guitar overdubs and I think I even did some vocal overdubs on "Run To The Hills" and some other bits. All these years I felt "Live After Death" as being the ultimate live Maiden record, that's why it's nice to have "Rock In Rio." This has a vocal performance on it in which I'm a lot more proud of than "Live After Death". It's shit-loads better singing-wise. Whether or not it will replace "Live After Death" in the affections of everybody is more difficult to say because a record like that is more a product of its time.

Source: http://www.hardradio.com/hr3.html?http://www.hardradio.com/shockwaves/dickinson2-2.php3

Bruce overdubbed his vocals in a studio and they still sound that bad? Eek.
Yeah this threw me off too when I first heard about it. But it really becomes obvious once you listen in closely, the vocals seem to be rather cleanly separated from everything else with no background noise of any kind on the album, and far more noisy on the video.

There are, Bruce confirmed it down the line. Aces High for example had its entire vocal take replaced for the album version, the original audio is on the video version and it's markedly worse. Adrian re-recorded most if not all his backing vocals in the studio and apparently had to redo some songs because of tuning issues on his guitar in the original recording.

Do you have a cite for this info where can I read about it ??

Don't know about the overdubs, but I'm fairly sure at least some of the songs on the album are from a different night(s) than on the video. It's been a while since I played the video, but I THINK I noticed some of the licks (H's in particular) on a song like 2MTM were played different. Bruce also introduces The Trooper in another way, I think. And he definitely doesn't shout "4th night Long Beach" or whatever on the video during Running Free, but that's all I got at this point :p

I wish the LAD bonus tracks were available in higher quality, all I found on Youtube are some pretty poor sounding copies.

(referring to Sanctuary's audio, Losfer Words and Murders in the Rue Morgue obviously)

Try the Maiden youtube channel. they were originally b-sides to Running Free Live and Run to the Hills Live respectively, I know Maiden had them on there when they re-released the 7 inches a few years ago.

You may only get Sanctuary though as the other two are from the 12 inches. That version of Sanctuary is different from the DVD so it's worth it.

Back