Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Thank you, thank you! :clap:

As for the celebration, let me put here my favourite metal discovery of the past year. Even my usual eloquence fails me when I try to describe this probably basic, stupid, generic power metal track that nonetheless warms my heart in an unexpected way.

(heh, it's the main riff and the pre-chorus, definitely)

(sorry for the rather generic discovery - metalwise, I've been listening mostly to power metal this past year and I already know lot of the best stuff there :D )

Maiden went from having one of the most technically gifted lineups in hard rock (Dickinson-Smith-Murray-Harris-Burr) to having perhaps the most critizised lineup in music (Bayley-Gers-Murray-Harris-McBrain). It always seemed to me as if the band choose personality before technical skill. I love Maiden but they have such a strange approach to choosing new members.

Shouldn't rise to that, but I'm going to. <_<

You're only really talking about Blaze and Janick there, as Steve and Dave had been there since the beginning and lots of people found Nicko a superior drummer to Clive. It's also not really a "strange approach" to choose personality over skill, of course they'd want someone in the band that they all liked and gelled with, why would they want someone who's technically brilliant but also a complete arsehole? The band knew Janick before he joined Maiden, as he'd played with Ian Gillan and on Bruce's first solo single/album so he was a natural fit, they also knew Blaze from playing with Wolfsbane. Also, what about Adrian? He wasn't that "technically skilled" when he joined Maiden (at least not as skilled as Dave, or as he would become) but he had history with them so he was also a natural fit.

I guess I'll have to invent my own two-handed variant for Dreierles though unless someone kindly shares their arcane knowledge.
Think I did in the end, although it borrows heavily from Kosakeln. Haven't playtested it yet but seems to make sense so far.

Maiden went from having one of the most technically gifted lineups in hard rock (Dickinson-Smith-Murray-Harris-Burr) to having perhaps the most critizised lineup in music (Bayley-Gers-Murray-Harris-McBrain). It always seemed to me as if the band choose personality before technical skill. I love Maiden but they have such a strange approach to choosing new members.
Nicko isn't technically gifted? Janick too? You could say that Blaze wasn't a right fit for the band, but with very few exceptions, when a classic lineup changes their vocalist, the new lineup with the new vocalist will always be criticized and don't liked as much as the classic one. Nicko is an amazing drummer, as was Clive. Janick's ''wild'' style is a great and much needed contrast to Adrian and Dave's playing and he's a fantastic songwriter (guitarist too), something very important and something Steve said he values in Adrian. And you know guitarists like Adrian and Dave and vocalist like Bruce can't be found everywhere, so...

Whoa, hold your horses. Nicko is technically a better drummer than Clive and Janick is technically a good musician & brilliant songwriter. Blaze's choice, I agree, it was really bad and it's sad to think Purple had Gillan, Sabbath had Dio & Gillan, AC/DC had Johnson, Priest had Ripper, Iced Earth had Barlow, Ripper & Stu etc etc but Maiden had Bayley.
in 1993, all Maiden they had to do was to widen the pool of candidates without nationality restriction.
*Ripper was not successful with Priest but at least his voice was top. Which is not true for Blaze. At least not without downtuning which they never did.

*Ripper was not successful with Priest but at least his voice was top. Which is not true for Blaze. At least not without downtuning which they never did.
Priest hired a literal copycat, while failing to realize that Halford was a massive part of their songwriting success. They also changed their sound (again) to chase trends.

Maiden went a different direction because Steve was overconfident in his own songwriting abilities and they refused to follow trends at all.

Both were poor choices.

Whoa, hold your horses. Nicko is technically a better drummer than Clive and Janick is technically a good musician & brilliant songwriter. Blaze's choice, I agree, it was really bad and it's sad to think Purple had Gillan, Sabbath had Dio & Gillan, AC/DC had Johnson, Priest had Ripper, Iced Earth had Barlow, Ripper & Stu etc etc but Maiden had Bayley.
in 1993, all Maiden they had to do was to widen the pool of candidates without nationality restriction.
Priest hired a literal copycat, while failing to realize that Halford was a massive part of their songwriting success. They also changed their sound (again) to chase trends.

Maiden went a different direction because Steve was overconfident in his own songwriting abilities and they refused to follow trends at all.

Both were poor choices.
I agree with the general statements, however Blaze was a good choice for me since I really like his albums with the band. It was a bold move, so we can't blame the band about the other candidates that much. With Paul, Bruce and Blaze Maiden have always been cool and different, we can't say that about many bands with supposedly better vocalists than Blaze. Steve's (or the band's) different direction with Blaze was an important part for the band's history after 2000 - again, we can't say that about many bands. Blaze's voice was great for his songs live, but can't say the same about the classics.
Spot on about Ripper, Nicko, Janick and for your comments. Every member of Maiden's current lineup is technically gifted!

This week I've been spending a few lunch breaks hunting for vaults in the Old Cemetery here, which is about 5 minutes walk from work. I think I've provided a source of amusement for the dog walkers at least: wandering amongst the tombs, waving a paper list in the wind whilst absently singing (The Pogues' song) "Down In The Ground Where The Dead Men Go" ... :nuts:

Both were poor choices.

You have many valid points, but I cannot put Blaze and Ripper on the same boat, Tim has a superb voice that matches if not surpasses Rob's. Blaze cannot even sign properly Bruce's repertoire.

And as far as trends go, Maiden did try to follow trends with No Prayer and Fear of the Dark, by simplifying their sound, writing more modern lyrics, wearing normal clothes, raspy voice.
They tried to, but songs were weak, unoriginal and uninspired.

Steve's approach with Blaze was way more than a poor choice, it was an idiotic choice. They hired a baritone and refused to downtune. Go figure.

You have many valid points, but I cannot put Blaze and Ripper on the same boat, Tim has a superb voice that matches if not surpasses Rob's. Blaze cannot even sign properly Bruce's repertoire.

And as far as trends go, Maiden did try to follow trends with No Prayer and Fear of the Dark, by simplifying their sound, writing more modern lyrics, wearing normal clothes, raspy voice.
They tried to, but songs were weak, unoriginal and uninspired.

Steve's approach with Blaze was way more than a poor choice, it was an idiotic choice. They hired a baritone and refused to downtune. Go figure.
Ripper is the better vocalist, but I like Blaze's voice a lot more. He's really good, but he's not on Rob's level.

I agree with what you said about Maiden's early 90's era albums, but only some of the songs were uninspired. Weak and unoriginal, nope.

About the downtuning, it's strange, but it's somewhat understandable.

Back