Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Any of you ever seen the original Japanese Iron Maiden LP inner sleeve with lyrics? I did, decades ago, and I still can't get out of my mind gems such as "all the electric flashes" (Prowler), "Just sixteen, stayed of trouble" (Running Free), "to make your ends as the bloody poor" (Charlotte), etc.

Not seen that one but have a few of those early ones, Live+one!! and TNOTB. Remember from phantom "you stand here every
Wednesday and you wait for the curtain to fall"

Not in any sleeve but “mademoiselle de fer” (unmarried woman of iron) comes to mind, from a fellow Maidenfan in French forum referring to Iron Maiden.
When Google & Bill Gates translators were at their infancies. :D

After spending a few days in Oslo and then immediately Copenhagen I am amazed by how different those cities are.
In Copenhagen, European influences are all over the place, when in many occasions, architecture in Oslo reminded me of Communism.

After spending a few days in Oslo and then immediately Copenhagen I am amazed by how different those cities are.
In Copenhagen, European influences are all over the place, when in many occasions, architecture in Oslo reminded me of Communism.
This made me curious as there are certainly buildings here for which that statement makes sense in my eyes, but which ones were you thinking about? Residential areas, or some of the new fancy concrete giants in the city centre?

This made me curious as there are certainly buildings here for which that statement makes sense in my eyes, but which ones were you thinking about? Residential areas, or some of the new fancy concrete giants in the city centre?

Well said, concrete is the word. Take for example the area around Central Station. Opera, Munch museum and the statue of Mother would classify as Communist buildings /monuments, imo. Also some residential “concrete” buildings in the port, as below.

D7E94486-9C40-40E4-A9A5-AC3F22540491.jpeg

I need more time to process what I felt about Norway. Strong & contradictory feelings. And I certainly should do a road trip, especially West coast and inland to live its magic.

Well said, concrete is the word. Take for example the area around Central Station. Opera, Munch museum and the statue of Mother would classify as Communist buildings /monuments, imo. Also some residential “concrete” buildings in the port, as below.

View attachment 22602

I need more time to process what I felt about Norway. Strong & contradictory feelings. And I certainly should do a road trip, especially West coast and inland to live its magic.
Well, art is art, but I really don't know what they were thinking with that new Munch museum. It looks like it's covered with road railing. The opera house on the other hand, I think looks quite cool and don't get any associations to communism or Soviet architecture.

Around the Central Station - were you thinking of that big ugly mastodont housing the bus terminal (just north of the station, away from the sea)? It has been named "ugliest building in Oslo" and I wouldn't disagree.

Funnily enough, these apartment buildings you have photoed there are probably quite new and expensive. But there is - and has been for years - an ongoing debate about all these new glass-and-concrete boxes popping up, often side by side with older, more friendly looking buildings. I don't think it's possible to single out a style that identifies the city.

Well, art is art, but I really don't know what they were thinking with that new Munch museum. It looks like it's covered with road railing. The opera house on the other hand, I think looks quite cool and don't get any associations to communism or Soviet architecture.

Opera does look cool, yet this type of building you’d typically see in China, thus the association.

Around the Central Station - were you thinking of that big ugly mastodont housing the bus terminal (just north of the station, away from the sea)? It has been named "ugliest building in Oslo" and I wouldn't disagree.

Hehe, I had to Google it to be sure, I did see it. Yeap, buildings like this give this strong impression of communist architecture.

Funnily enough, these apartment buildings you have photoed there are probably quite new and expensive.

I don’t doubt that the apartments are new & expensive but boy, do they look like the those middle to upper class developments in China.

But there is - and has been for years - an ongoing debate about all these new glass-and-concrete boxes popping up, often side by side with older, more friendly looking buildings. I don't think it's possible to single out a style that identifies the city.

Spot on. City is piled up with different styles and there is this thing of similar buildings, with simple lines and philosophy like if it were developed by the State.

Though I noticed that when you move inside the city towards inlands, the style smoothens and becomes more original and friendly looking.

I’ll need time to process Oslo /Norway.
I was expecting something more modern and good taste for the city and this mix of styles was shocking for me. On the other hand I enjoyed the professional meetings more than any other country. By far.

I don't remember a whole lot of concrete blocks of buildings about Oslo, I remember it looking very traditional!

Back