Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Eh. These are people who specifically pursued fame and continue to milk it to this day for their own gratification. Jokes and criticism go hand in hand with fame, and you get paid big bucks to tolerate it. Also, Chris Rock was just doing the job he was hired to do. His joke wasn’t particularly funny, and I don’t think it was even all that mean, alopecia and all, but Will Smith completely lost his shit over it.

Feeling angry is one thing. Acting on that anger is another. Acting on it in such a ridiculously over the top way, where you’re crossing meaningful distances in a formal setting to hit someone in the face, isn’t something that I can understand having any empathy for at all. Even if Rock had made a joke about having sex with Smith’s wife, and he’d actually had sex with her, it still wouldn’t excuse that sort of response.

Throwing the book at him would have been simultaneously pressing criminal charges, filing a civil law suit, and submitting formal complaints to every union he’s a member of that would have constituted the Oscar ceremony as a work-related event. Also starting a petition to have his Oscar revoked. He would have to pay a criminal fine, a much larger civil settlement that could have forced him to make a public mea culpa, he might have been expelled from one or more unions as I mentioned before, potentially hampering his ability to work in Hollywood, and his image would have taken a much larger beating. And if the Oscar was revoked in the end, then Rock would most certainly be having the last laugh.

I understand why he didn’t do that, but Smith would have deserved every bit of it if he had.
Yeah I wasn't really trying to argue, just saying the way I see it. It's more of a nothing burger than anything else, both guys were wrong in different ways, and I think we'd all be far better off if we just moved on.

Reactions: Yax
Yeah I wasn't really trying to argue, just saying the way I see it. It's more of a nothing burger than anything else, both guys were wrong in different ways, and I think we'd all be far better off if we just moved on.
So guys, how about that Oscars debacle, huh?

:D:p

I was mainly bothered that the best joke Chris Rock and his team of writers could think up was a lame reference to a 25 year old flop

But yeah, "the book" in this case seems to be a small fine, so, really. Will Smith is gonna be fine, I expect, and so will Chris Rock.

Sure they will, next year this time they'll be best buddies arm in arm and have a charity for whatever it is Jada Pinkett Smith has.

When I heard about the incident, I wasn't surprised Will Smith acted the way he did. Living with alopecia can be very difficult and cause a lot of feelings of shame because it isn't easy to be a bald woman In most cultures. At least In Finland people stare and can make unpleasant comments even if you wear a wig. I don't have it myself but have seen how it can cause a lot of suffering and affect your life In many ways.

Does anyone know what happened? He was here for years and now it just says "Deleted account". I didn't see him getting into any fights here, but he did mention he may stop coming here. Still, no farewell seems a bit weird. Any of the mods know something? (If it's some private matter, you can PM me, not trying to stick my nose, but I am a bit worried.)
I expect him to come back as "Are" (no Z).

He cracked a joke about her alopecia, apparently. Probably doesn't justify assault, but should have had a stern public talking to.

To all of you newcomers now and future, while Brig's post above might make you think Zare cracked a joke about alopecia, he most certainly did not.

If he wanted to fight, he should've done that off-camera. Either way, the joke wasn't that bad and certainly wasn't assault worthy.

Will Smith and his wife are both nuts anyway, airing their private lives in media over and over again, and also they are Scientologists so fuck them.

He showed his "affection" by doing that. Kind of. Even that was staged. First he was initially laughing, second he had a big smile after he slapped him and going back to sit. A stupid moment from every angle.

Obviously he didn't have to apply physical violence. But should he yell at all, which is also a kind of violence? I think not. He should keep his cool when replying.
What's more, he shouldn't reply at all. His wife is an high profile actress, a grown up woman & a very public person who first she shouldn't be affected by the joke and second she should be able to speak for herself.

We are taught again sexism is bad, but all I see here is the other side of it. She couldn't take a joke because she's bald and woman. Thus she made her discomfort very much visible to him and he had to react? He didn't had to react, she had to. Not even. As a matter of fact all she had to do was laugh.

It's been 7 years she has this problem. Grow up you little flower. Get over it already. You are still a beautiful woman. Come in terms with your flaws, love your flaws. Make them your beauty, your power. Be strong. Be a person to inspire yourself and us, don't seek our and your husband's pity. Be the most beautiful woman, the most inspiring person.

To all of you newcomers now and future, while Brig's post above might make you think Zare cracked a joke about alopecia, he most certainly did not.

We don't know this. All we know is that Brigs didn't directly refer to Zare cracking a joke about alopecia.

Back