Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

And then won an award instead of, idk, being detained for assault?

Yeah, I made a really dumb joke right here a minute ago and after thinking about it for a minute I realised just how stupid it was.

Last edited:
What happened to Zare?
Does anyone know what happened? He was here for years and now it just says "Deleted account". I didn't see him getting into any fights here, but he did mention he may stop coming here. Still, no farewell seems a bit weird. Any of the mods know something? (If it's some private matter, you can PM me, not trying to stick my nose, but I am a bit worried.)

I don’t know what Will Smith was smoking. Talk about instantaneous destruction of his decades-old brand!

If he had a normal job he would have been fired on the spot — zero tolerance, done. It would be interesting to know if he violated the rules of any of his unions (since this was technically a workplace violence incident) and whether he’ll be expelled from any of them as a result.

I understand why Chris Rock didn’t press charges, since this gives him more notoriety and comedic material for years to come, but he probably should have thrown the book at the guy just to make a point. When you choose to act like an animal and commit a violent crime in front of a national audience, there should probably be appropriate consequences.

I think both guys were in the wrong, but certainly hurting someone physically is a crime.

It is also something most people have empathy towards, feeling so angry that they could lose control at someone, specifically around the context of protecting someone they care for.

But yeah, "the book" in this case seems to be a small fine, so, really. Will Smith is gonna be fine, I expect, and so will Chris Rock.

^Wait. What was Chris Rock's wrongdoing exactly? Telling a joke? It's not like she has cancer or something. She's not a housewife, she's an actress, literally trained to endure such kind of jokes or blows or friendly (yet non physical) jabs if you like.
Tasteless? Probably. Wrong? Hardly.

I don’t know what Will Smith was smoking. Talk about instantaneous destruction of his decades-old brand!

What a jerk. Initially he was laughing then he saw his wife shocked and changed his tactics.
Though not sure if he destroyed his brand, in some ways he may have enhanced it.

If he had a normal job he would have been fired on the spot — zero tolerance, done. It would be interesting to know if he violated the rules of any of his unions (since this was technically a workplace violence incident) and whether he’ll be expelled from any of them as a result.

:applause:

It is also something most people have empathy towards, feeling so angry that they could lose control at someone, specifically around the context of protecting someone they care for.
Eh. These are people who specifically pursued fame and continue to milk it to this day for their own gratification. Jokes and criticism go hand in hand with fame, and you get paid big bucks to tolerate it. Also, Chris Rock was just doing the job he was hired to do. His joke wasn’t particularly funny, and I don’t think it was even all that mean, alopecia and all, but Will Smith completely lost his shit over it.

Feeling angry is one thing. Acting on that anger is another. Acting on it in such a ridiculously over the top way, where you’re crossing meaningful distances in a formal setting to hit someone in the face, isn’t something that I can understand having any empathy for at all. Even if Rock had made a joke about having sex with Smith’s wife, and he’d actually had sex with her, it still wouldn’t excuse that sort of response.

But yeah, "the book" in this case seems to be a small fine, so, really. Will Smith is gonna be fine, I expect, and so will Chris Rock.
Throwing the book at him would have been simultaneously pressing criminal charges, filing a civil law suit, and submitting formal complaints to every union he’s a member of that would have constituted the Oscar ceremony as a work-related event. Also starting a petition to have his Oscar revoked. He would have to pay a criminal fine, a much larger civil settlement that could have forced him to make a public mea culpa, he might have been expelled from one or more unions as I mentioned before, potentially hampering his ability to work in Hollywood, and his image would have taken a much larger beating. And if the Oscar was revoked in the end, then Rock would most certainly be having the last laugh.

I understand why he didn’t do that, but Smith would have deserved every bit of it if he had.

Back