Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

@Forostar

The ship was in service with the Royal Netherlands Navy from 1981 to 1998. The frigate was named after Dutch naval hero Piet Pieterszoon Hein. Construction work started in 2009 to rebuild the ship into a yacht named

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yas_(yacht)

message-editor%2F1537169820722-yas-011.jpg

Got the stall turns down after some attempts. The clover leaf on the other hand ... botched it several times and the instructor told me I was consitently doing the difficult part correctly, and the easy part wrong :grumble: Ended up with too much speed in the pull-out every single time.

Then we did a regular loop and that one was perfect. So how could I consistently be messing up something that is the second half of a loop? Answer: Not enough float on the top, resulting in the pull-out starting with too much speed. We did a thorough debrief of it and I know what to do differently the next time. But one thing is knowing it, another is doing it ... after doing all sorts of maneuvers first. We repeated slow roll, flick roll and Immelman as well.

Now the only remaining tasks in the basic programme are inverted flying ... and aerobatic sequences. Once I get the cloverleaf decent and the stall turns consistently good, it will be all sequences from there on until the exam flight.

Funny that the one word you quote is one which is actually rather misleading regarding that maneuver. It is called a stall turn, but no stall actually takes place.

For those unfamiliar with the term: It is a maneuver in which you pull the aircraft into a vertical, full power climb. You let the airspeed bleed of to just above controllable airspeed while keeping the aircraft vertical. Then you kick full rudder and the aircraft pivots around the yaw axis, until you stop the movement nose down. You initiate a vertical dive and pull out when the airspeed has increased to above the 2G stall speed.

At the top of the maneuver you are well below your ordinary stall speed, but you are at zero G and hence a stall is not possible.

... as long as you stay at zero G of course.

Last edited:
I’m looking out the window and there’s crazy wind and snowfall outside. A total blizzard. I was walking home a couple of hours ago when it was clear. I wouldn’t want to be outside in that.

The PC I'm building posted successfully. Next up I have to install Windows and parts my old PC.

That commentator sounds like Bruce
It IS Bruce. :--)
I suppose he does a bit, at times. Not so much when he says "other counties are available" though.
Kinda reminds me of

"A competition in Charlie Chaplin impersonations was held in California recently. There was something like 40 competitors, and Charlie Chaplin, as a joke, entered the contest under an assumed name. He impersonated his well known film self. But he did not win; he was 27th in the competition."

except that's most probably an urban myth.

Back