Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

four and five days

This gives me bad flashbacks to French numerals - sixty-and-nineteen for 79, four-times-twenty-and-seventeen for 97... The horror, the horror...

French: ... Sixty-seven, sixty-eight, sixty-nine, sixty-ten...
Other languages: **stares**
French: **stares back**
French: .. sixty-and-eleven, sixty-twelve, sixty-thirteen, sixty-fourteen, sixty-fifteen, sixty-sixteen, sixty-ten-seven ...
Other languages: **shutting eyes**
French: ... sixty-ten-eight, sixty-ten-nine ...
Other languages: **hands over face***
French: ... four twenties! :) Four twenties one ...

Last edited:
If you think French counting is weird, try Danish. Based on the same principle (with twenties), but referring to 50, 70 and 90 as half something.

80 is 4 times 20 and is called firs, 70 is halvfjerds. And remember this only applies to numbers between 50 and 99 - i.e. fourty is not referred to as two times twenty.

This gives me bad flashbacks to French numerals - sixty-and-nineteen for 79, four-times-twenty-and-seventeen for 97... The horror, the horror...

French: ... Sixty-seven, sixty-eight, sixty-nine, sixty-ten...
Other languages: **stares**
French: **stares back**
French: .. sixty-and-eleven, sixty-twelve, sixty-thirteen, sixty-fourteen, sixty-fifteen, sixty-sixteen, sixty-ten-seven ...
Other languages: **shutting eyes**
French: ... sixty-ten-eight, sixty-ten-nine ...
Other languages: **hands over face***
French: ... four twenties! :) Four twenties one ...
If you think French counting is weird, try Danish. Based on the same principle (with twenties), but referring to 50, 70 and 90 as half something.

80 is 4 times 20 and is called firs, 70 is halvfjerds. And remember this only applies to numbers between 50 and 99 - i.e. fourty is not referred to as two times twenty.
It's nice when English can take the high ground on with regards to illogical practices in languages. :)

I like to think it's numbers at fault, not actual language. People who like numbers like to play with them, and find little patterns in them, even if there isn't an obvious practical use for the number patterns in question.

It seems I can't avoid exposing myself to harm while playing football. Today my subconscious decided that the face was the right body part for blocking a shot.

Scored a screamer myself though, so all in all a good session. One of those goals where you receive a pass, makes the ball bounce once while you turn, and hit it at the exact moment where it will fly in a perfect arc to drop under the crossbar. Those shots so often go into row 30 (if we were playing in stadiums with 30 rows :innocent:)

Back