Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

On adaptations of literature. Recently I heard an interview with some movie director who said he rather makes a movie out of a short story than making one out of a (normal) novel. With a short story you can do more with it as a film maker. With a bigger story it's difficult to do it justice.

Did someone tell this to Peter Jackson? ;) @CriedWhenBrucieLeft

On adaptations of literature. Recently I heard an interview with some movie director who said he rather makes a movie out of a short story than making one out of a (normal) novel. With a short story you can do more with it as a film maker. With a bigger story it's difficult to do it justice.

Did someone tell this to Peter Jackson? ;) @CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Makes total sense ... translating the idea of a 20 page story into a 2 hour film has to be easier than a 600 page novel where by default you have to leave things out, find the key elements, and create whatever "universe" the story is in. Add to that for popular books, people already have their own images of how people/places should look,talk, and behave,

On the other hand, you had a director like Hitchcock who took the basic story of Ed Gein in Psycho and beyond a basic kernel of the story change the whole thing around, which turned out more interesting than Rebecca, where he pretty much (was forced to by the studio) follow the book

I very much agree. For this reason, I'm shocked there aren't more (good) Lovecraft adaptations.

The vast imagery of Lovecraft works might be putting filmmakers off. Hard to capture the chaotic atmosphere and almost unimaginable creatures in his stories.

That's true. He has a few simpler, more science fiction stories that could be done. I'm still holding out hope for At The Mountains of Madness.

Does it have all the fun club names?

I'm hoping to replicate that on my model. It'll require a fineliner with a microscopic tip, and I'll have to make do with getting usernames off the FC forum seeing as I don't actually have access to the real names of everyone in the fan club. Failing that, if I can find a font small enough, there's always the 'print your own decals at home' option. :)

Back