Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Yeah, either way, it's kinda fun.

Both my son and daughters like dubstep, so we play a lot of that from youtube. Some of the mixes are pretty good, some are pretty horrible.

I'm trying to be optimistic probably for the first time in my life, don't think that'll turn out well. Oh wait..

Yeah, either way, it's kinda fun.

Both my son and daughters like dubstep, so we play a lot of that from youtube. Some of the mixes are pretty good, some are pretty horrible.
I think dubstep can be really cool rhythmically but gets kinda monotone really quickly. I really like when electronic music has dubstep elements thrown in, rather than a pure dubstep song/mix.

In fact, I think dubstep works best when fused with other genres. I heard some really cool jazz dubstep a few months ago.

I'd agree with that... when Dubstep is used to enhance a song, it works well. And some people are better than others at making a song sound good. I'll listen to 5 versions of the same song and only find one god one.

I'm trying to be optimistic probably for the first time in my life, don't think that'll turn out well. Oh wait..
As a pessimist, you'll rarely be disappointed by people or life.

I'm an optimist, and I'm frequently disappointed by people, but I think I'm far happier than most pessimists that I know.

I'd agree with that... when Dubstep is used to enhance a song, it works well. And some people are better than others at making a song sound good. I'll listen to 5 versions of the same song and only find one god one.
Yea. I've heard EPs/singles that are just several different mixes of the same song and they're all interpreted quite differently. I rarely find one that I like, honestly.

Re dubstep -- I wouldn't listen to it, but in the 1 or 2 times a year I find myself in a club (usually in Vegas) it's pretty cool. Good party music, just not good "sit and listen" music, IMO.

Re Still Life -- yup.

Re Tolkien -- I think it's possible to simply think Tolkien wrote a couple of good stories without assigning a quasi-religious importance to the work. I like his stories -- though I like Peter Jackson's movies better -- and yet people who take Tolkien too seriously scare disturb me. EDIT: By the way, Per and Foro, dwarves are real:

b340403b52012a0750e7ab35122ab37f.jpg

What about Iron Maiden and metal in general. How much of that is actually childhood nostalgia? I take it that most of us grew up listening to metal or rock of some kind...it is rare to find people in their 30s who suddenly, without any previous exposure, turns on a plate and starts listening to Mercyful Fate, Sabbath and Metallica.

I'm sure many people would state that heavy metal is something that you "outgrow" when you reach a certain age....Just as people think about fantasy books. Are we just geeks for not having done so? :D
I have a buddy who turned 50 last year. He grew up in a home where metal was frowned upon and somehow missed it in his 20s and 30s. He basically discovered it in the past decade. Saw Maiden, Priest and Ozzy for the first time in the past few years. But he is certainly an exception.

Back