Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I think when you are younger heavy metal sorta fills the same vacuum you are searching for as fantasy does for readers. It is a sort of escapism into another world. Heavy metal definitely also has it's share of colorful and "good" and "bad" characters and themes. I dare anyone to say that there isn't just a little bit of "fantasy" in the covers of Derek Riggs.

I'm sure many people would state that heavy metal is something that you "outgrow" when you reach a certain age....Just as people think about fantasy books. Are we just geeks for not having done so? :D

I can't think of anyone I know who used to listen to metal and doesn't do now. They may not wear the black t-shirts or grow their hair but they still listen to the same music. Now, if you've only gone through a rebellious period in your teen years and spent four months believing that Death were the greatest band ever, that's a different story.

That may be true (the void part). I love metal, motorcycles, sci-fi/fantasy and video games. I'm almost 40 years old. But, those things were once items that defined who I was. As I grow older, they are my gig, but not the thing that I live and die for.... I think that things that you love like that always remain a part of your life, but your passions become relationships with people more than things.

I can't think of anyone I know who used to listen to metal and doesn't do now. They may not wear the black t-shirts or grow their hair but they still listen to the same music. Now, if you've only gone through a rebellious period in your teen years and spent four months believing that Death were the greatest band ever, that's a different story.

I've grown a bit more sophisticated in my metal tastes I would say, over the years...I don't listen to 10 death metal albums per day anymore :D But yeah you are right, it depends on how the person formed a bond with the music back then..

That may be true (the void part). I love metal, motorcycles, sci-fi/fantasy and video games. I'm almost 40 years old. But, those things were once items that defined who I was. As I grow older, they are my gig, but not the thing that I live and die for.... I think that things that you love like that always remain a part of your life, but your passions become relationships with people more than things.

Well said.

I'm sure many people would state that heavy metal is something that you "outgrow" when you reach a certain age..

It certainly is. At least for me. I've stopped being a full-on/hardcore metal fan after just one year like that. I still love some of the bands that I've got into (and still getting into) but there's no way I'd call myself a metal fan now. And I'll probably almost fully outgrow of metal when I get older as I've already started to prefer listening to much calmer or sophisticated stuff. (progressive rock, jazz, classical blues etc.)

By the way Death is an awesome band.

Now, for me, Metal is a mainstay of my musical library. I've grown to like other genre's of music, but metal is my thing. Now... you are all welcome to laugh, but I think Hair Metal is the bomb! I used to only listen to bands like Maiden, Priest, Helloween, Motley Crue, etc. Now, I'll listen to Johnny Cash, Chris Ledoux, Daft Punk, and some Dubstep-type stuff. Tastes evolve, but good is good. I know that is semantically null, but it's also true. I think that The Number Of The Beast, or Sanitarium (Welcome Home) is just as good today as it was 25 years ago when I first heard it. It's hard for me to think of a day when something like that isn't played on my stereo.

Speaking of stereos, ever since I took my girls to that AV store in KC, i've been trying to decide what piece of equipement I need next. I want a new AV receiver with HDMI passthrough... and I found some awesome ones, but they don't come with a phono input, which means that I'll need to get a phono-pre-amp. Man, I wanna build a new rack and load all this stuff in it..... I need to make about double what I am right now :)

Now I may only be 25 but I'm pretty well set in my musical ways and I'm happy with what I like. Every now and then, I still discover new stuff (or new to me) which is always fun but I've come to that point in my life where I know what I like and don't like without having to think about it. Thinking back to the my music phases, I can honestly say I didn't have too many odd ones. I was brought up pretty well with music so I haven't strayed to far from what I like now.

I remember being, maybe 10 or so, and riding my bicycle with one of those old 70's era cassette players, listening to 'The Jazz Singer' and 'Queen of Hearts' that I'd recorded off the radio. That was my weirdest phase. After that, I found Bon Jovi and Van Halen and it was on.

Cassette-Player.jpg

For some reason I'm not afraid to admit it but I did have a boy band phase in my teens. ::) Also I was into The Grateful Dead for a time too. Not that it's really a bad thing because they're a good band but I discovered the whole 'hippy' thing wasn't me and kind of strayed away from them now.

For some reason I'm not afraid to admit it but I did have a boy band phase in my teens. ::) Also I was into The Grateful Dead for a time too. Not that it's really a bad thing because they're a good band but I discovered the whole 'hippy' thing wasn't me and kind of strayed away from them now.

I listen to The Grateful Dead from time to time. Currently I listen to a lot of blues, rock and singer songwriter stuff from the 70s more than anything.

I'll still listen to them very occasionally as I have a greatest hits cd of theirs but just haven't been my cup of tea and quite some time.

I've been listening to a lot of 'techno' stuff?? what would you call Daft Punk? My son turned me on to that and it's kinda fun.

Back