Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Have fun in Paris Perun!

Oh, and I take an interest in any sports except golf (which I don't consider a sport) and horse stuff. Oh and bull fighting or rodeo or whatever the damn thing is. Animal torture.

I'd say golf is very much a sport, as it is a physical activity. What makes it less obvious is that the physical skills involved are all about "micro" motor control, with much less "macro" than most sports.

Consider a comparison with football - and I'm being nice by speaking European here, I mean soccer and not US football. Many parts of the game, like running, are "macro" skills involving the whole body. Taking a shot at the goal is more "micro", since you're aiming very carefully. Golf just puts intense focus on those micro skills and removes the macro.

By comparison, I don't consider any motor racing to be a sport. It may take skill and it is certainly a competition, but the engine is doing the work. The competitor is only controlling it. Even in golf, the club is just a tool, and the real work comes from the human body.

I would refute that, especially if you are talking motorcycle racing.  In auto, the driver must have stamina to keep up his mental focus for the entire 3ish hour race, and must also endure intense heat.

In motorcycle racing, the rider must slide back and forth and side to side, to set up for the corners and such.  This takes quite a lot of physical strength.  And, if you read 'sliding side to side, etc' as a pretty easy feat, I can assure you, it is not.  On a standard days ride, going through the twisties, my shoulders, arms, and back will feel the action from the muscles.  That doesn't even take into consideration the physical aspects of MX racing, or any off road motorcycle racing.  In that regard, I'd say it is more 'physically intensive' than baseball is.

So, I guess it all depends on what you think of 'sports'.  I know that I have seen motorcycle racers win, switch brands, and win again.  In that aspect, I'd say that it is the rider that makes the difference, no matter what he is controlling.

I remember a while back that someone said that there is only two sports, hunting and fishing. The rest are games and pastimes.

Well, with fishing, it can take some real skill to hold your rod, cast & reel while chewing sunflower seeds and drinking a beer.  I mean, you could swallow a seed if you do it wrong, or spill your beer!

Attachments

• legendarythreadba8.jpg
    legendarythreadba8.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 2
I guess boxing could be compared to hunting - so yes, it is a sport if we are to judge it on what that person said (I can't for the life of me remember where it came from).

Why is boxing like hunting? Well, the main objective of either is to hurt or maim another poor soul. The only difference is that in boxing, both participants are willing. Like I said, it's barbaric. :D

Which reminds me of a line in the brilliant My Cousin Vinny:

Mona Lisa Vito said:
Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along. You get thirsty. You spot a little brook. You put your little deer lips down to the cool, clear water - BAM. A fuckin' bullet rips off part of your head. Your brains are lying on the ground in little bloody pieces. Now I ask ya, would you give a fuck what kind of pants the son-of-a-bitch who shot you was wearing?

Priceless. :D

Now waiting for the hype surrounding "Mama Mia" to die down so we don't have to suffer any more Abba.

I would be the first to admit that Abba have the most amazing following and considering they broke up way back in the early 80's, their lasting appeal is testament to some good song writing.

It's just not my cup of tea. :D

Nor mine, really.  I ended up with a 'best of' on my itunes, cause my ex liked them.  But I know a lot of their songs... just one of those things.

@Deano, dunno where you are this week, but I'm gonna watch Jr kick Hamlin's butt!! (just giving you the business)

I blame small gorillas for invading south afghanistan but we can't all be winners eh? Fiddlesticks Mcflurry please with a side order of herpes. Thanks.
Spatulas

Back