Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

That also was mentioned in the conversation (though not by me, by someone from another team who overheard and came over to "help" :lol:) - kid hadn't actually seen that film but had heard of it.

Explaining who she was in terms of who she was related to wasn't difficult but you can never prompt someone to "remember" something they genuinely never knew. There are two sides to why I said it made me feel old:

1) People who were massively prominent and often in the prime of life during my formative and teenage years are now dying off (usually, though not alway, from old age/natural causes), and
2) Sufficient time has since passed for the younger generation to have never heard of these people.

A sobering reminder that, however old we may think we are, non of us are getting any younger ... :blink:

Well, it's very different for me. My nature forces me to spend a lot of time in the past, mentally, in order to stay somewhat sane (you know how the title of that Blur album from '93 goes, right?). But this tends to somewhat blur the lines between the subjective and the objective, so I tend to somewhat forget from time to time that something is only my personal memory or on the contrary that I can't possibly have any recollection of that whatsoever.

So, for example I definitely do remember Queen Mum, but what I did notice and know back then vs. what I reconstructed later is sometimes very hard to discern. Or: when I was talking to my friends (who are more or less probably more educated than me in general) about The Kinks' She's Bought a Hat Like Princess Marina, trying to present it as a wonderful half-ironic, half-sentimental ode to escapism and a much more important track than it might seem at first, I was actually surprised to realize that they mostly thought "Princess Marina" and "Anthony Eden" are probably just fictitious characters. Both died before I (or my friends, for that matter) was born, though.

Actually, my wife noticed that this is something that unexpectedly seems very present in music discussion forums. You see, all those band histories, all the "notorious facts" (whether it's the fact that Tony Iommi actually played with Jethro Tull or how the infamous Beatles' trip to India happened and under which circumstances did they leave) as it was not only generally known, but as if there was a personal experience ("you talk like you knew him"), even if you couldn't have been present, heck, you probably wasn't even alive.

Maybe it's this type of general "history bias" - when you dedicate a certain amount of time studying and ... well, living something, you maybe tend to lose the detachment and start to think the thing "yours", so to speak.
Like, for one of the more absurd examples, I still tend to find more natural the old system of British money... even though not only do I not live there, the decimalisation happened long before I was born!

My general point being (probably): don't worry, you might feel old among the young ones, but at least that's still normal, whereas some of us are probably utterly radio. :D

Just visited Watchet where they have a statue of the ancient mariner as apparently Coleridge composed it after visiting the harbour. I took a photo but it won’t upload

I'm a long time fan of Newton email App (50$ /year subscription). I've also tried Hey App which is just terrific but also comes double the price.

I've tried many email clients, paid and free, nothing comes close to those two.
From the free ones, Spark has great reputation and comes from a great Ukrainian designers, Readdle. Everything they do is guaranteed good those guys.

Just visited Watchet where they have a statue of the ancient mariner as apparently Coleridge composed it after visiting the harbour. I took a photo but it won’t upload

I was searching for an albatros image last Sunday to insert into this post and saw the Watchet Ancient Mariner statue. Pretty nice.

I'm a long time fan of Newton email App (50$ /year subscription). I've also tried Hey App which is just terrific but also comes double the price.
Maybe this is the same team that has recorded, mixed and mastered the live album 'Nights Of The Dead, Legacy Of The Beast, Live In Mexico City', a.k.a. Ade Emsley and Tony Newton, which is responsible for the sound of this third and last leg of the Legacy Of The Beast tour. So, that's normal that the sound was too loud. That was the same on the previous legs. I don't really think they are good sound engineers as the production of the LOTB live album was really weird and so was the sound on 'The Book Of Souls - The Live Chapter'. IMO, they should stop doing what they do and concentrate on another job...
Does this mean TheMercenary got his wish fulfilled? :p

Well, it's very different for me. My nature forces me to spend a lot of time in the past, mentally, in order to stay somewhat sane (you know how the title of that Blur album from '93 goes, right?). But this tends to somewhat blur the lines between the subjective and the objective, so I tend to somewhat forget from time to time that something is only my personal memory or on the contrary that I can't possibly have any recollection of that whatsoever.

So, for example I definitely do remember Queen Mum, but what I did notice and know back then vs. what I reconstructed later is sometimes very hard to discern. Or: when I was talking to my friends (who are more or less probably more educated than me in general) about The Kinks' She's Bought a Hat Like Princess Marina, trying to present it as a wonderful half-ironic, half-sentimental ode to escapism and a much more important track than it might seem at first, I was actually surprised to realize that they mostly thought "Princess Marina" and "Anthony Eden" are probably just fictitious characters. Both died before I (or my friends, for that matter) was born, though.

Actually, my wife noticed that this is something that unexpectedly seems very present in music discussion forums. You see, all those band histories, all the "notorious facts" (whether it's the fact that Tony Iommi actually played with Jethro Tull or how the infamous Beatles' trip to India happened and under which circumstances did they leave) as it was not only generally known, but as if there was a personal experience ("you talk like you knew him"), even if you couldn't have been present, heck, you probably wasn't even alive.

Maybe it's this type of general "history bias" - when you dedicate a certain amount of time studying and ... well, living something, you maybe tend to lose the detachment and start to think the thing "yours", so to speak.
Like, for one of the more absurd examples, I still tend to find more natural the old system of British money... even though not only do I not live there, the decimalisation happened long before I was born!

My general point being (probably): don't worry, you might feel old among the young ones, but at least that's still normal, whereas some of us are probably utterly radio. :D
Thanks. I'm not worrying, it just made me a bit sad that's all (although it was kind of amusing at the same time).

I've also done a fair amount of "internalising" the past too, partly because I've read a lot of historical novels but also because both my parents used to talk about WW2 as though it had ended the day before I was born. This combination has given me the tools to confuse people considerably older than myself, eg in one of my past jobs there was a semi-retired consultant who one day was reminiscing about his experiences as a child during the war and I said something about rationing and only being able to get dried haddock that you had to soak for a week to make it vaguely edible. "Ah yes, the dried haddock ..." said he in tones of rose-tinted reminiscence - shortly followed by "hang on, you're not old enough to remember that!" :lol:

OH YES!!!
The original South Park specials on Paramount+ have been pretty good, so hopefully this will be too.

My everyday running shoes are both on the verge of replacement at ~650km each.
One good option is ASICS Glideride 3, a highly praised shoe that just came out (I've tried the 2 it was a dream on my feet).

Then there is the option of getting the holy grail Nike ZoomX Vaporfly NEXT% 2 at a discount as the 3 will be released on June 25.

Or I can wait until June 21 for Saucony Endorphin Pro 3.

I've tried the v.1 a year plus ago and my jaws were dropped. Version 2 was practically the same shoe, but this is a significant update. The foam is massive and shoes are lighter. Nice touches such as visible mid plate through cut outs, or tongue design. A very, very good looking shoe. Kind of overkill though for everyday running.

I went to see The Orchestra (ELO) with a friend last evening. The hall was pretty empty so everybody moved up close because there was so much space, but the show was great! It took some time, but by the time Mr Blue Sky ended everybody was standing up :D

Okay, a n00b moment - today I learned that Graham Chapman was in the Can I Play with Madness video. Honestly, I might have never seen it before (I don't tend to seek out music videos in general) and he is almost unrecognisable there, but it's funny.

One good option is ASICS Glideride 3, a highly praised shoe that just came out (I've tried the 2 it was a dream on my feet).

Then there is the option of getting the holy grail Nike ZoomX Vaporfly NEXT% 2 at a discount as the 3 will be released on June 25.

Or I can wait until June 21 for Saucony Endorphin Pro 3.

Took the car which was idle for 83 days and headed South. Reached the Mall and searched the ASICS Store. On my way there there was a Nike Store and I saw the Vaporflies 2 at a ridiculous discount and a great colour too.
Took a note and headed to ASICS nevertheless. Unfortunately there was no Glideride 3 or even the 2 (which would have been in a crazy discount).
So I went back and took the shoe of the shoes, the one and only Nike ZoomX Vaporfly NEXT% 2 in a price you normally get a good everyday shoe, 130$ boys and gals.

:edmetal::edmetal:

IMG_6589.jpeg

The fact that my e-mail app has an ominous, threatening sound whenever a new mail arrives doesn't help me with my anxieties.
Or maybe I just interpret that sound as ominous and threatening.
Change ringtone? ;) I suggesting opening bars of Phantom of the Opera. Seriously, though, I used to get anxiety set off by a phone ringing, even if the call wasn't for me. It sucks.

Also, have you blown up?

Years now I have all ringtones and notifications silenced.
Lately I even switch off everything internet related for 2 -3 hours daily.
Mobile is switched off and in another room while I sleep, so if I wake up in the middle of the night I won't look at it.

For anyone suffering from anxiety, two things: work out & meditation.

Back