Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Perun

Περούν Παντοκράτωρ
Staff member
I've been listening to an old Eggfest bootleg and it really baffles me in hindsight how unprofessional and petty the whole thing was. It's really weird to think how seriously we all took it back then.

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
I asked my brother if he wants this Metallica bootleg live DVD that I have no space left for. He called it a "cassette" and didn't know where to play it, or that it was a video, and not an audio format.

rAFP13z.gif

Perun

Περούν Παντοκράτωρ
Staff member
I spend most of my evenings these days in a huge public library with a reading room of several hundred workplaces. Last time I was there was on Friday evening, I had a seat booked for Saturday but then cancelled. Anyway, I just got here, sat down at a spot close to where I sat last time and find a USB flash drive on the desk next to me. I take it, intending to bring it to the service desk, then find it looks a lot like mine. I decide to make sure, put it in my laptop and find that it is mine! WTF?

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
I spend most of my evenings these days in a huge public library with a reading room of several hundred workplaces. Last time I was there was on Friday evening, I had a seat booked for Saturday but then cancelled. Anyway, I just got here, sat down at a spot close to where I sat last time and find a USB flash drive on the desk next to me. I take it, intending to bring it to the service desk, then find it looks a lot like mine. I decide to make sure, put it in my laptop and find that it is mine! WTF?
What did ancient forgotten Perun leave for his future self to find?

____no5

The Angel Of The Odd
New 10k PR today. :D

Pace: 5:03
Time: 50:32

It wasn't intentional, I just run what I thought to be a casual one. At 5 km mark I looked my watch and saw that I was moving at PR pace, so all I had to do was to keep the pace stable and then raise the speed in the last 1 -2 km. Of course, that's easier said than done!

Saapanael

Ancient Mariner
@Perun to get the answer straight from the source and avoid having to google, can you give a quick rundown on the goddesses Venus and Aphrodite? Reason for asking is that I want to write a story where there’s a statue of one of them and I’m wondering which would be more fitting.

Perun

Περούν Παντοκράτωρ
Staff member
Venus is the Roman goddess, Aphrodite the Greek one; both were identified with each other by both peoples and starting with the mid-Republican era, they were both depicted the same way, I.e. as a young, usually nude woman. She was the goddess of love, erotic desire, sensibility, beauty, kindness and all that. The differences are slight: To the Romans, she was the mother of Aeneas, and thus ancestor of the Roman people, while to the Greeks she is the daughter of Zeus, born from the sea foam on Cyprus. Venus has the dolphin as a common attribute, while it is rare with Aphrodite, who is often depicted with sea shells, doves, turtles, swans, etc.
What does the statue in your story look like?

Saapanael

Ancient Mariner
Venus is the Roman goddess, Aphrodite the Greek one; both were identified with each other by both peoples and starting with the mid-Republican era, they were both depicted the same way, I.e. as a young, usually nude woman. She was the goddess of love, erotic desire, sensibility, beauty, kindness and all that. The differences are slight: To the Romans, she was the mother of Aeneas, and thus ancestor of the Roman people, while to the Greeks she is the daughter of Zeus, born from the sea foam on Cyprus. Venus has the dolphin as a common attribute, while it is rare with Aphrodite, who is often depicted with sea shells, doves, turtles, swans, etc.
What does the statue in your story look like?
The statue doesn’t have a very specific appearance yet, except that it’s white and 2-2.5 metres in height. There should be a moment in the story where the statue falls over, breaks and shoots a cloud of dust into the air, but looking at the material that Greek and Roman statues were made of, I doubt that they would actually burst out dust when broken.