Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I read that too, yes. But some of them really believe in the theory (or whatever it is).

Yes, of course. There are numerous reports by people who feel their lives are better thanks to being part of Scientology, but there are also a lot that say the exact opposite.

Don’t know where else to post this. It just doesn’t get into my head, how some of the greatest musicians are members of Scientology, and pretty ‘normal’ people (compared to others in their field), yet I only read negative press about seemingly crazy Scientologists. Has anybody read Dianetics?

It's because Scientology grooms and pampers celebrity spokespeople to make us believe it's a benevolent organisation for normal people so we give them our money.

Funnily enough, I am actually just now reading a book that (sorta) talks about this.

(and don't worry, its author is a liberal, atheistic professional evolutional psychologist, so it's not like I'm trying to push "my ideology" or something :D )

It talks about how even intelligent people tend to fall into conspiracy theories, why people can't really be convinced by arguments to change their minds, how even people who strive to be moral disagree completely on almost everything, confirmation bias, how intuition is almost always first and reasoning only second (even in people who think they're very rational) and why we're in the rut we currently are. Politically. Socially. You know, everything.

It's Jonathan Haidt's The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion and I can't recommend it enough. It's not "my" book - I disagree with the author on some things (he is a bit of a reductionist and a bit of a determinist and his attempt at this empirically proven knowledge regarding human beings is... a bit misguided in my book), but I'd say it is an absolutely important and essential read, if only to get confronted with it and be able to agree/disagree with it.

(okay, I'm about halfway through, so maybe I'm recommending it hastily, but still - if you meant your question seriously, I'd give it a try)

Last edited:
On the "treatment" of the Uyghurs by China:

1. The United States was the first country to declare the human rights abuses a genocide, announcing its determination on January 19, 2021.
2. Canada's House of Commons approved a non-binding motion on February 22, 2021, to recognize China's actions as genocide by a vote of 266–0, with two abstentions.
3. On February 25, the Dutch parliament passed a non-binding motion to recognize China's human rights abuses as falling under the UN's genocide convention, becoming the third country to do so.

Who's next?

Norwegian weather ... after a mild and very wet December, we had some weeks of real cold, but now the last week it has almost seemed like spring is here. From steady -10 to -20 degC we've now been above zero. The snow outside is melting fast, I just wonder if that was it or if winter 2021 has got more to give.

Why did cops handcuff this stupid Karen and on what basis they strip her bag off, and inspect its contents?

Because she was being arrogant AF and refusing to leave a store against the wishes of the store's owners?

Reactions: Yax
Friday evening, 10 pm and I'm lying in bed.

There was a guy once called Perun whose posts are buried deep in this thread for whom this would have been unthinkable.

Another aerobatic lesson done today. Slow rolls better. Also tried flick roll, which is a rather unforgiving maneuver if you're not sharp. Fortunately I was sharp today! The last exercises were Cuban 8 and reverse Cuban 8, which were easier than I thought they would be.

Next time: stall turns!

Quite spring-ish here as well. Those who are in the mountains for winter holiday must be having the Easter feeling, more than one month early!

The spring temperatures and the nice weather also meant the airfield was much busier today than when I last went flying (two weeks ago).

Hopefully the last few days' increase in covid cases is temporary or we'll end up spending the spring in even stricter lockdown :(

Back