Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I can see your points. One of the main problems is probably jealousy, and I don't know if it will ever be possible for several intimate relationships to be equally important, or if it devalues them all to an extent. But the concept of a marriage, where you're supposed to be content with one partner for the rest of your life, seems to be very difficult as well; nice in theory, but does it ever really work? And in response to one of Edington's points, if children are involved, the same can be said about divorces. People have desires, and I doubt that's necessarily a bad thing. Isn't love supposed to be free?

There are people out there who have made it work. I'm kinda in awe of such an achievement, to be honest. It's a really crazy thing to put that level of trust in one person, let alone two? Wow.

a marriage, where you're supposed to be content with one partner for the rest of your life
Look up: "Polygyny", "Polyandry" ... :D
does it ever really work?
Yes! Honestly, yes.
People have desires
"Desires" are like seagulls - you can't stop them crapping on your head but it is possible to prevent them from stealing all your chips! Choices and decisions are much more important considerations here.

"I am thirsty as an African desert, thirsty as Sunday, thirsty as a devil half-boiled in the cauldrons of Lucifer."
Charles de Coster, Flemish Legends

Back