Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Made a trip to Starmoen aerodrome (a small aerodrome near the town of Elverum, about 150 km from Oslo) tonight with another pilot in the club. I flew the plane there, did two touch and goes before full stop landing. Then I took the passenger seat for the return flight. The other guy did some touch and goes as well before we headed back to Kjeller, where we landed a few minutes after sunset. On the way back, we had some trouble maintaining radio contact with ATC, because of the terrain between us and Oslo. At times we could hear other aircraft talking to the controller, but we couldn't hear the controller's replies. Fortunately, we managed to get contact before we actually needed a clearance from them.

I wasn't too concerned, we could get back without entering controlled airspace. And I had experienced the same once before in the same area - on my first solo nav flight, no less!

Made a trip to Starmoen aerodrome (a small aerodrome near the town of Elverum, about 150 km from Oslo) tonight with another pilot in the club. I flew the plane there, did two touch and goes before full stop landing. Then I took the passenger seat for the return flight. The other guy did some touch and goes as well before we headed back to Kjeller, where we landed a few minutes after sunset. On the way back, we had some trouble maintaining radio contact with ATC, because of the terrain between us and Oslo. At times we could hear other aircraft talking to the controller, but we couldn't hear the controller's replies. Fortunately, we managed to get contact before we actually needed a clearance from them.
I'm glad everything worked out for you and your co-pilot.

Back